Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Aging as we go

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Aging as we go

Old 12-25-22, 07:43 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I am 63, and hopefully just a few years from being completely retired. I am semi now, I cycle, swim and hike so staying pretty good when I don't injure myself (currently dealing with a dislocated shoulder from a freak fall - not on bike, next week I can cycle again!) - A few more aches and pains, and takes longer to do things now then in the past - but I am not dead yet! (apologies to Monty Python).

I had a good friend of mine tell me it was going to be such shame when someday I die of nothing... lol
Old 01-03-23, 08:26 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car
How can we know for sure that you are human and not a Terminator? Did you ever get X-ray done? Do you have heart beats?
There is a whole Facebook group of bicyclists over 80. They have close to a thousand members, and these guys really ride, much more than I do or can. They're beyond me in skill and endurance.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 02-22-23, 11:32 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
72 here, as the song by Kate Wolf says, I’m now seeing years my father never did,,,however my 81 yo brother can still outpace me on the flats (but not on the hills!)
Likes For evwxxx:
Old 02-23-23, 06:57 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
My dad lived to 92; still driving the day before. When you hit mid seventies, you do think a bit! They've changed the equipment and decor of the gym again. Gets worse each time. Stupid music to assist workouts . . .guess i just shut my ears to it. Saw an oldie yesterday in out spinning class; just turned 80. Splendid chap. Encouraging!
Old 02-23-23, 07:35 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
Gyms have become a simple social outlet for younger folks. I'll stick to a brisk walk, a bit of cycling, or yoga if stuck indoors.
Old 02-23-23, 09:17 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
My father will be 83 in April. He currently has 15 stints in his body! Got the latest 4 inserted in August of 2021.