Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Labonne

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 08:06 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Labonne

Well I went into the co-op tonight to pick this one up and wound up teaching for two hours. So posting a bit late but I was intrigued by this one last Monday night. I don't recall seeing any of these around before, and this one likely was in some perfesser's basement for the last thirty years. Some help with identity and provenance, as I will be asking some C&V member to take this project on. Thanks in advance, MH

Old 12-28-19, 03:54 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Appears a Chiorda contract build.

"AM" pattern lugset, crown, crown cap, bottom bracket shell & headset are Agrati.

Pedals Sheffield.

Hubs appear Gnutti.

Not shown: would expect a 3TTT Touriste stem & bar set.

Looks near to 1970.

-----
Old 12-28-19, 08:58 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Thanks,
Top506 has asked if this one could come to his house, and he wants to take it on. I'll be sending out to him on Monday. It should clean up nicely as it just has a lot of surface grease on the chrome parts. Smiles, MH
Old 01-07-20, 01:56 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

checked forum's archives and this marque has been mentioned on several occasions, with but a single detailed thread dating from 2008

unfortunately, the OP of the thread selected photobucket for an image host so pictures went up the chimney years ago

---

some information for Top506 in case it is of use -

frame -

constructed with Agrati pattern "AM" lugset nr. 000.8040/E/U

upper head lug nr. 000.8044

lower head lug nr. 000.8043

seat lug nr. 005.8049

bottom bracket shell nr. 000.8507

fork crown nr. 000.8516

fork crown cap nr. 202.9110

dropouts nr. 000.8002

fork ends nr. 000.8010

fittings -

Agrati headset nr. 209.3071

Sheffield pedals model Nr. 663 in economy zinc finish

the brakes from Giovanni Galli S.p.A. exhibit and interesting dual reach feature. the hole in the backing plate of the caliper for the mounting bolt is a vertical oval. the head of the mounting bolt is oval and has a cam lobe on its back side. the caliper can be mounted such that the cam lobe is either facing up or down, giving it two reach options.

the serrated steel rims on these are typically Maccari brand but they do not show well enough in the images for a positive ID.

---

frame is a step up from the bottom-of-the-line offering from Chiorda since it is made with a true three-piece head and tubular bridges, rather than a bulge-formed head and plate style bridges.

perhaps Top506 can begin a thread on the machine when it becomes a front burner project...

-----
Old 07-28-21, 05:54 AM
Custom Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I used to sell and repair these bikes back in the mid 1970s at my first job, at Gene's Bicycles on Stenton Avenue in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I was just old enough to get so-called "working papers" at the age of 14 when I started there, and I also got a job at Hill Cycle Shop in Chestnut Hill, where I built wheels.

The owners of Gene's had a main store (or two) in New York City and opened the remote location, which was only a few blocks from my home. They were Gene Bierhorst (hence the Gene in the store name) and Ned Labonne, his brother-in-law. Ned is now a sculptor. I would include a link to his site and picture, but I can't because I'm a new member. There are also pics of Gene online, the most recent I could find were from a 2008 B&B Reunion (in case anyone wants to search for him). Again, I was not allowed to post a direct link.

I've been trying to make contact with Ned for a chance to reminisce (and see if he even remembers me), but he hasn't responded to my emails.

Anyway, Labonne bikes were our "house" brand, having been made under contract for the main store and branded with the co-owner's last name, which was chosen, IIRC, because it sounded like an established brand. We also sold Lejune bikes (an inspiration for using Ned's name), as well as Peugeot, Raleigh, Fuji and several others.

Not to cast aspersion, but these bikes were not made to the highest standard and we often had to cannibalize ones still in the boxes to replace broken parts, sometimes on ones that hadn't even been assembled yet. We had several such donor bikes.

It was cool to find the threads on this forum with pictures of these old bikes that bring back so many memories from that era! I'm just getting back in to road cycling again after many years away. I plan to restore a Raleigh International I have from that era -- with the beautifully chromed Nervex lugs, but, unfortunately, a sloped crown chrome fork that the person I bought if from way back in the 1970s considered to be an upgrade. In the meantime I recently purchased a used Marinoni from the 9 speed Dura-Ace era and have got that one working well and I've been working on my conditioning. It's my first experience riding and repairing a bike with "brifters" and clipless pedals! It feels good to be back in the (racing) saddle again after so many years away.

Lee
Likes For Custom Wheel:
Old 07-28-21, 09:34 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Custom Wheel
I used to sell and repair these bikes back in the mid 1970s at my first job, at Gene's Bicycles on Stenton Avenue in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I was just old enough to get so-called "working papers" at the age of 14 when I started there, and I also got a job at Hill Cycle Shop in Chestnut Hill, where I built wheels.

The owners of Gene's had a main store (or two) in New York City and opened the remote location, which was only a few blocks from my home. They were Gene Bierhorst (hence the Gene in the store name) and Ned Labonne, his brother-in-law. Ned is now a sculptor. I would include a link to his site and picture, but I can't because I'm a new member. There are also pics of Gene online, the most recent I could find were from a 2008 B&B Reunion (in case anyone wants to search for him). Again, I was not allowed to post a direct link.

I've been trying to make contact with Ned for a chance to reminisce (and see if he even remembers me), but he hasn't responded to my emails.

Anyway, Labonne bikes were our "house" brand, having been made under contract for the main store and branded with the co-owner's last name, which was chosen, IIRC, because it sounded like an established brand. We also sold Lejune bikes (an inspiration for using Ned's name), as well as Peugeot, Raleigh, Fuji and several others.

Not to cast aspersion, but these bikes were not made to the highest standard and we often had to cannibalize ones still in the boxes to replace broken parts, sometimes on ones that hadn't even been assembled yet. We had several such donor bikes.

It was cool to find the threads on this forum with pictures of these old bikes that bring back so many memories from that era! I'm just getting back in to road cycling again after many years away. I plan to restore a Raleigh International I have from that era -- with the beautifully chromed Nervex lugs, but, unfortunately, a sloped crown chrome fork that the person I bought if from way back in the 1970s considered to be an upgrade. In the meantime I recently purchased a used Marinoni from the 9 speed Dura-Ace era and have got that one working well and I've been working on my conditioning. It's my first experience riding and repairing a bike with "brifters" and clipless pedals! It feels good to be back in the (racing) saddle again after so many years away.

Lee
This is a very useful first post! I enjoyed reading it.
Old 01-04-23, 11:01 AM
velosolex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lee
I also worked at Gene's, Probably in 1975. So I was either right before or right after Custom Wheel.

The Labonne bikes were better spec'd than the Peugeot and were priced lower but didn't sell well. I convinced them to raise the price and we sold a bunch as a "special upgrade" to the known brands. They were pretty rotten out of the box but with a bit of time they could be set up nicely.

The shop was a bit wild and unmanaged as an outpost of a New York company - it made for a good education and good stories.

~ jon

(Lee I tried to PM you through the forum, but they don't allow people to do that until they have 10 posts.)
Old 01-04-23, 11:14 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

Lee
Link assist:

LaBonne Sculptures
Old 01-04-23, 11:18 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Fun article with the following quote from Gene himself back in '71.

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/08/15/a...-euphoria.html

“The demand for adult bi cycles is accelerating its growth rate so fast that even the acceleration is an accel eration,” said Gene Bier horst, a 28‐year‐old entre preneur who, in the last four years, has opened three dis count bicycle shops in Man hattan. This year, he has sold 30,000 bicycles, 20 per cent of them repeat sales to customers whose new bicy cles have been stolen. He estimates that if last year's ratio was three children to three adults, this year it is “four and a half kids to 300 adults.”
Old 01-04-23, 09:26 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
This bike might be the ultimate clunker challenge candidate for Classic and Vintage in 2023.