Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reevaluating the multitool

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reevaluating the multitool

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-23, 12:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
I may have driven the pin in improperly when I installed the new chain.
Quick links ftw.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-05-23, 02:11 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
You can tell who read bike books in the 70s and 80s by who carries dollar bills in their repair kit.
Old 01-05-23, 02:16 PM
smd4

My preferred kit includes a chain tool too.

Likes For smd4:
Old 01-05-23, 05:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
My preferred kit includes a chain tool too.

You carry all of that on the bike?
Old 01-05-23, 06:36 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've spent the past twenty years living in the rural US, and I think you really don't understand this.
^this right here. I live in a rural area and often don’t have any cell service for most of a ride. And even if I did, I’d likely be out of range of any nearby rideshare service. The idea of Uber, etc. as an alternative to carrying tools on a ride is something I find pretty laughable.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 01-05-23, 06:53 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
You carry all of that on the bike?
Admittedly, it’s less than what some other folks here carry.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-05-23, 08:08 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
I have two Park MTB 3 multi tools, it does everything I need a tool to do...except I have to carry a small cheap $12 folding pair of pliers. Heck, I use this tool even when I'm at home rather than to go to the tool box and find the right tool, it's my seat bag so grab it and fix it.

Old 01-05-23, 08:13 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Dare I ask if you typically ride out of the city? If so, how far?
And while you've clearly made the decision that you don't want to carry a few ounces of tool(s) to extract yourself from a mechanical problem, how do you claim to make the same call for everyone else?
Yes, I ride both mtn bikes and road bikes on a regular basis outside of cities both in the US and abroad. Was riding bikes long before there were mobile phones too.
Where did I say, or state, that I clearly made a decision not to carry a few ounces of tools to extract myself from a mechanical problem?? Go back and re-read my post. I merely added another possibility to solve a problem.
Old 01-06-23, 01:21 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I carry everything I need for most scenarios.

TOPEAK Mini 20 PRO
Tube/patch kit
Pump.
Where I ride, there is no Uber, Lyft, etc and taxi cost would go into the hundreds.
I prefer to be independent and tolerate a saddle bag that weighs about about 500 g (1 lb).
Perhaps the discussion should be; Do you ride in cities/populated areas, the country, the wilds?
Old 01-06-23, 05:17 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's not just about riding in rural or remote areas. Even when I ride in an urban area which has public transit, taxis, uber...I still carry the same tool kit as if i was riding in a rural or remote area. I like to be as self sufficient as possible and I don't care about having to carry a little bit of extra weight...and I also carry my smart phone and bank cards.
Old 01-06-23, 09:30 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's not just about riding in rural or remote areas. Even when I ride in an urban area which has public transit, taxis, uber...I still carry the same tool kit as if i was riding in a rural or remote area. I like to be as self sufficient as possible and I don't care about having to carry a little bit of extra weight...and I also carry my smart phone and bank cards.
Agreed, but those who posted they carry a C/C and nothing else, I suspect they are in well populated areas.
Or have a very accommodating spouse/parent
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 01-06-23, 10:47 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My bike tool / repair kit is pretty heavy compared to what I see other cyclists carry and so are my bikes. I am not a weight weenie, my bikes have full fenders, racks, heavy duty wheels / tires and I use stainless steel bottles for my drinks. I also carry a Leatherman multi tool, a tactical folding knife and a ferro rod which adds even more weight.
Just out of curiosity, why the knife and ferro rod?

I typically carry a tool to fix any problem I might realistically need to fix on the road ie. a topeak ratchet rocket and a bit for every bolt type on the bike (there aren't that many), a spare tube, tubeless fix kit, patch kit, a pump of some sort and a pressure gauge. Everything fits into a saddle bag and weighs around 500g depending on the weight of the tube I take.

I need some self sufficiency as getting a mechanical on the islands and missing the last boat would mean either spending the night on the island or trying source a helicopter that can fit a bike. Neither option is something I'd want to try.
Old 01-06-23, 11:10 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Just out of curiosity, why the knife and ferro rod?
I've always been a be prepared outdoors type of a guy with a bit of a survivalist mentality. Carrying a knife, a ferro rod, a tactical flashlight and leatherman multitool is a habit which I've had for a very long time. It's my EDC kit which I always carry with me everywhere.
Old 01-06-23, 11:14 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Due to where I have always rode, I find myself out in remote areas, sometimes as far as 50 miles from my home and the city; but when I go bike camping/touring I'm mostly in remote areas. I'm also not one to call my wife to come get me if something happens, I will do everything humanly possible to fix the bike and somehow get home. So I can fix most problems, even a broken frame could be fixed, I knew a guy once who used some small fence like boards and duct tape he got from a farmer to repair a rear stay just good enough to get home! Some years ago, I blew a tire that left a 3 to 4 inch tear in the sidewall, destroying the tube too, a boot patch was not going to hold under air pressure pushing the tube through it, though I did use it, but I filled the tire with as much weeds as I could stuff into the tire and rode it home, not fast of course, but I got home without damaging the rim, and the tire stayed on though it felt like I had roughly 20 psi in it and it rode lumpy.

The majority of stuff that goes wrong with bikes is simple mechanical stuff that a few simple tools can handle, obviously you're not going to be able to repair all things, like a hub breaking etc, but those types of things rarely if ever happen.

If you routinely, like before every ride, you do a complete pre-ride check to make sure nothing is broken or looks like it's about to break, check tires for splits or holes, check the cables, etc, which only takes maybe 5 minutes if you're slow, that could save you a huge headache on the road if you catch something before you go. I do both pre and post ride check, just to make sure I take care of anything before my next ride with the post trip, and then double check things before I take off in case I missed something in the post ride.

Believe it or not, I rarely have even a simple breakdown outside of flats, I've used my mini tool more fixing other people's bikes I've ran into on the road than my own, and even those are far and few between, and once I repaired a lady's car with it!! I don't care to stop in a middle of a ride to ask a person dinking with their bike if they need any help, if they say no, fine I go on my way, but I always stop to ask.
Old 01-13-23, 11:00 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I've been carrying this Topeak multi-tool since the mid 2000s.

It's very compact, and there are no pointy bits that could puncture a spare tube. The rotating head means it can be used as a screwdriver or a wrench.

I also have this tool - great tool

can add a small 6 to 8mm hex adapter for 8mm crank bolts

Likes For t2p: