Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Old 01-07-23, 12:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

Final deal breaker: I don't want to show up at the start of the ride with discs to have my older and smarter pals ask sarcastically: "Are we going mountain biking?"
Nice combination of insecurity and reference to the snarky old rim-brake diehards out there. Awesome!
Old 01-07-23, 12:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't see anybody here preaching that we should abandon disc brakes and go back to rim brakes because rim brakes are better than disc brakes. Several posters have made it very clear that rim brakes work great for them and there is no good reason to get rid of them. That's all that was said.
This kind of stuff is par for a thread like this, along with comments about how much smarter rim-brake holdouts like to think they are:-

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Disc brakes: heavier, more complex, upset the lateral balance of the bike, are more expensive, are less aero-dynamic. Caliper is closer to the road or trail.

Result of successful marketing:
"The truck backed up.., and everybody got in."
Originally Posted by smd4
Disk brakes are ugly, inelegant, heavy, and by many accounts a PITA to deal with, in terms of maintenance, installation, etc. In my admittedly limited experience, they provide little modulation, and are basically an "ON/OFF" proposition. I can stop my bike using single fingers on the levers, so I have plenty of stopping power available. Do disk brakes stop good in wet conditions? Sure. But I don't ride in wet conditions. I have a road racing bike--so for me, what other benefit to them is there?

We'll see what happens to them when everything old becomes new again. Vinyl records, anyone?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-07-23, 02:01 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Disk brakes are indeed rather ugly. The new dork disk perhaps?
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 01-07-23, 02:28 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
About once a year I drop into my local high-end shop. Yesterday the shop was completely dead - just me and 6 worried looking staffers. So they ask: what type of what type of bike are you looking for? "A road bike for riding with my pals." What is your budget? "15". Hundred? "No thousand" That got their attention.

So they show me their high-end line. All hydro discs and all aero, and all fat tires. Of course, all internal routing right from the bars and through the headset.

Every bike is heavier than 3 of my current road bikes. I don't do hydraulics, and I only buy what I work on. Plus the PITA internal routing, which means 3 hours and $300 of shop time if I want to swap out a stem. Add to this the bizarro proprietary bottom bracket which means I probably won't be able to fit my current nice crankset.

Aero? I spend almost all of my time drafting the big guys. The critical performance need is low weight, so you don't get popped off of the back out of corners or on the hills.

Final deal breaker: I don't want to show up at the start of the ride with discs to have my older and smarter pals ask sarcastically: "Are we going mountain biking?"
Let me get this straight. You have been a member since 2006, and obviously very involved in the cycling scene. You decided to go to your local shop with the intent to spend $15,000 on a bicycle with no previous research or understanding of what stock bikes in that price range are outfitted with? You were then going swap out the crankset post purchase? You were worried that after spending $15K some duffus was going to make some smart ass comment about your choice of brakes? You failed to mention disc brakes functionality especially in the rarified air of super high end bikes as that all have carbon rims and we know how terrible they are with rim brakes. Also your bikes are lighter than a S Works Aethos at 5.9 kg? Somehow this all does not add up.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 01-07-23 at 02:34 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-07-23, 02:33 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Disk brakes are indeed rather ugly. The new dork disk perhaps?
Well, at least with dork discs you didn't have to spend an hour removing pads, sanding rotors and degreasing everything every time you accidentally touched your rotors with greasy paws.

My pal is currently going through hell trying to figure out how to stop the squeal on his discs, and actually get as much stopping power as he had on rim brakes. Day three and counting.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 01-07-23, 02:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I offer the following pair of quotes without comment:

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
These old school forums are mostly populated by people in their 60’s and older and in no way representative of what is happening in the current cycling community.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-07-23, 02:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Well, at least with dork discs you didn't have to spend an hour removing pads, sanding rotors and degreasing everything every time you accidentally touched your rotors with greasy paws.

My pal is currently going through hell trying to figure out how to stop the squeal on his discs, and actually get as much stopping power as he had on rim brakes. Day three and counting.
Three whole days to spray degreaser onto the rotor and wipe them clean. I assume this would be a different pal than the one who would mock you for running disc brakes? Something is not adding up here.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 01-07-23 at 02:58 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-07-23, 03:02 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I can see advantages to through-axles; I can also disadvantages. I can see advantages to disc brakes when the rims are moist. Space and budgetary limitations are, however, major impediments to upgrading the bike technology I use. Even when I was young and able to stick with the fast group, my current bike (frame constructed in 1973) was good enough and better than I need. Besides, my bike fits my proportions in ways that current model bikes don't, so I can't see anything close to a positive cost-benefit payoff in buying a new bike.

Besides, I'd much rather ride than shop.
Old 01-07-23, 03:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I’ve been running discs on two bikes for over five years/28k miles and I can’t fathom why I’d ever need to sand my rotors, nor how it could possibly take an hour to change pads. And if your friend can’t keep his greasy mitts off his rotors, I’m wondering if he’s a bit clumsy(?)

Seems like your friend needs help.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-07-23, 03:58 PM
shrimp123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
(s)he strictly follows : anything that has moving parts, rubbing surfaces or creaks on a bike SHOULD be greased up to keep it quiet.
Old 01-07-23, 04:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by shrimp123
(s)he strictly follows : anything that has moving parts, rubbing surfaces or creaks on a bike SHOULD be greased up to keep it quiet.
He said that his brake pads are making noise. You can't grease brake pads to make them quiet.
Old 01-07-23, 04:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

It's the nature of disc brakes to squeal when wet. Almost impossible to eliminate the noise....It's strange that my disc brakes always squeal when wet, but my rim brakes are quiet.
Old 01-07-23, 04:11 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's the nature of disc brakes to squeal when wet. Almost impossible to eliminate the noise....It's strange that my disc brakes always squeal when wet, but my rim brakes are quiet.
I have seen canti brakes that squealed like a greased pig.
Old 01-07-23, 04:13 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Only one day and 9 hours and this thread has 163 replies. Nothing is as polarizing as rim brakes vs. disc brakes..........not even chain lube.
Old 01-07-23, 04:24 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
No reason it should be polarizing.

I ride vintage bikes and disc brakes are not in my future. Like most innovations of the last 30 years they are objectively better, but they wouldn't really improve my experience.

A lot of noise on this forum, but I've never encountered another rider in real life who cared. They appreciate my bike as a vintage bike and I appreciate theirs as a modern machine.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 01-07-23, 04:36 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by jon c.

I ride vintage bikes and disc brakes are not in my future. Like most innovations of the last 30 years they are objectively better, but they wouldn't really improve my experience.

A lot of noise on this forum, but I've never encountered another rider in real life who cared. They appreciate my bike as a vintage bike and I appreciate theirs as a modern machine.
Well to be fair, you never see the same arguments between cyclists in person like you do on the interwebs.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-07-23, 04:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Disc brakes: heavier, more complex, upset the lateral balance of the bike, are more expensive, are less aero-dynamic. Caliper is closer to the road or trail.

Result of successful marketing:
"The truck backed up.., and everybody got in."
Lateral balance...

You posted this absurd claim twice now, and the second time was even after being clearly called out for making the claim.
Don't post completely incorrect stuff - new people stumble on this thread, read your crazy ramble, and think there is validity to it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-07-23, 04:43 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
The quote goes back almost 100 years. I was incorrect about the balancing of the bike. With so much gear on the right side only, if anything, the disc-brake system helps to correct this weight-distribution problem. I shouldn't post early in the morning. I don't mind admitting when I am wrong.
That'll never catch on around here.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-07-23, 04:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,282 Times in 2,941 Posts
Sounds like your riding pals are real dicks.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-23, 04:48 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Likes For shoota:
Old 01-07-23, 04:52 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,282 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.

Sorry, but reasonable positions are not welcome on this forum.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-23, 05:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Did they deliver good stopping power, though?
Old 01-07-23, 05:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Nothing is as polarizing as rim brakes vs. disc brakes..........not even chain lube.
It's obvious that you are new around here and have not participated in or read threads about pedals, frame material, tubeless vs tubed tires, sock color and length, leg shaving. valve stem caps, serious cyclist vs cyclist vs bike rider and many others. Almost every topic discussed here is polarizing and will create a serious debate and arguments.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-07-23, 05:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

As long as they stop that's all that matters.
Old 01-07-23, 05:55 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by seypat
Did they deliver good stopping power, though?
AFAIK they did. They weren't mine, but another club member's. They were on an older gravel bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.