Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is $4k a good price for a Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-23, 01:18 PM
bryroth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It has 500 miles on it; otherwise, no problems at all that I can see. Seems like a good price, right?

I have never spent more than $450 on a bike (all used steel bikes). But I got a chance to ride one recently, and I was hooked. But I want to make sure I'm not making a bad decision financially.

There is probably a sub-forum for this question somewhere, but I haven't been on bf for like 7 years and I can't remember. Hi everybody!
Old 01-05-23, 01:38 PM
bryroth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Answer me dammit
Old 01-05-23, 01:41 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
If that's the $7K retail version, sounds like a good deal....
Old 01-05-23, 02:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
e-bike?

Likes For datlas:
Old 01-05-23, 02:43 PM
bryroth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the answers. Also, is an e-bike bad? I rode one and it was a lot of fun. I am torn because I currently ride a steel Frankenstein that I've been working on since 1995. Will I lose my soul?
Old 01-05-23, 02:50 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by bryroth
I want to make sure I'm not making a bad decision financially.
C'mon... It's a $7k carbon fiber drop bar e-bike with zero cargo capacity.

Getting it for $4k does make it a slightly less bad decision financially, I suppose... but if this is really your criteria you're buying the wrong bike.
Old 01-05-23, 02:51 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
It's not "bad" to ride an e-bike, but a lot of "purists" think it is cheating in some way. Also, there are lots of "cyclists" out there that modify. the e-bike to essentially be an electric motorcycle/moped which is not really a bicycle.

I think there is a separate sub-forum for e-bikes btw.
Old 01-05-23, 02:52 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Also, is an e-bike bad?
I'm sure this thread will go many pages on this topic.
Well done.
Old 01-05-23, 03:03 PM
bryroth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It's not "bad" to ride an e-bike, but a lot of "purists" think it is cheating in some way. Also, there are lots of "cyclists" out there that modify. the e-bike to essentially be an electric motorcycle/moped which is not really a bicycle.
Yeah, I hear you. I guess I'd say that many purists out there also ride fixed gear. I definitely want to actually pedal my bike, don't want a moped, but I don't mind some help from gears or pedal assist. I think. I wanted a Diverge, but now I want to go fast. And my fat ass is not going to go fast on the Diverge.
Old 01-06-23, 12:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Answer me dammit
Seriously? You posted that? Such a good way to start out. Just chill out if someone doesn't answer right away give them some time don't complain and whine after 20 minutes. If you get no response in an active sub-forum in 2 weeks maybe say hey can anyone help and if not just move on or find another sub-forum to ask if one is relevant but demanding answers after 20 minutes is super silly. Go out and ride for a while and then come back.

Others might be curious so I will answer for their benefit.

The price for the bike if at 500 miles and is tuned up and ready to go is a great deal and the only hesitation I would have is complete lack of warranty and with Specialized they offer a lifetime warranty on their frames and forks and a 2 year on all the electrical components which can pay off quite quickly. However the bike is a great bike and the price is solid (assuming it fits) and someone buying that bike would likely love it.

Cheating implies you have set up a contest of some sort with rules that were agreed upon and you have now violated those rules. E-bikes aren't cheating unless used in a race where they are banned or something like that. If someone is enjoying their bike and you are enjoying yours it doesn't matter unless you have both agreed to some rules and one of you is violating them. I could say come up to you at a stoplight and say this isn't an e-bike and be dishonest and that is silly but without those rules being violated it is not cheating.

Some people may not love e-bikes because they haven't ridden them or at least haven't ridden one of quality. However that doesn't matter at all love whatever bikes you want and realize bikes are awesome (at least the decent quality ones) and just ride them and enjoy them and if you don't want an e-bike don't go for one but they are super popular amongst so many different people for so many different reasons being a stick in the mud these days doesn't make sense. Yes of course actual cheating as described above is wrong we know that but that is few and far between and honestly never bears on any discussion. All chess is bad because one guy put a vibrator up his poop chute to cheat or all road cycling is bad because for a time period most of the peloton was doing drugs.
Old 01-07-23, 07:58 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Electric motor powered bikes are cheating in that the rider accesses hard fought for bicycle infrastructure without even pedaling. AND in some cases, by riding with excessive speeds and selfishness, make the infrastructure inhospitable to legitimate cyclists.
Old 01-07-23, 10:10 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Electric motor powered bikes are cheating in that the rider accesses hard fought for bicycle infrastructure without even pedaling. AND in some cases, by riding with excessive speeds and selfishness, make the infrastructure inhospitable to legitimate cyclists.
hard fought for, perhaps, but paid for by everyone, and completely legal to use (especially on street bike lanes) on an e-bike like the creo referenced here. the post is about a bike which absolutely requires pedaling, and has so little power (240w effectively) that it’s not going to propel anyone (especially someone who isn’t pedaling lol) down the bike lane at 30mph.

there are tons of people on e-bikes around here, and very, very few are behaving badly. about the same ratio as people on non-e-bikes behaving badly. but i recognize that some places may have more people behaving badly.
Old 01-07-23, 10:13 AM
mschwett 

It has 500 miles on it; otherwise, no problems at all that I can see. Seems like a good price, right?

I have never spent more than $450 on a bike (all used steel bikes). But I got a chance to ride one recently, and I was hooked. But I want to make sure I'm not making a bad decision financially.

There is probably a sub-forum for this question somewhere, but I haven't been on bf for like 7 years and I can't remember. Hi everybody!
what size is it? it’s a good deal, but maybe not an especially great one. the larger sizes of the creo have frequently been on a big sale the last year or so, for $5500 brand new.

i don’t ride it much anymore but i have a heavily upgraded comp carbon, and can confirm it’s an amazing bike. at around 30lb it’s totally ridable with the motor off, very smooth, feels natural, and mine at least has been extremely reliable. the best place to discuss more is the specialized forum of electric bike review dot com
Old 01-07-23, 01:20 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by mschwett
hard fought for, perhaps, but paid for by everyone, and completely legal to use (especially on street bike lanes) on an e-bike like the creo referenced here. the post is about a bike which absolutely requires pedaling, and has so little power (240w effectively) that it’s not going to propel anyone (especially someone who isn’t pedaling lol) down the bike lane at 30mph.

there are tons of people on e-bikes around here, and very, very few are behaving badly. about the same ratio as people on non-e-bikes behaving badly. but i recognize that some places may have more people behaving badly.
Electric powered bikes are not Road Bicycles. Hence https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/
Old 01-07-23, 01:53 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Excellent deal for what's offered, even if in USD,

I'm okay with ebikes using paths and bike lanes as long as the bikes conform to regulations. I am not okay with folks who've hacked their machines to do excess of 20 mph on throttle alone. Those are not intended for riding on trails and paths.
Old 01-07-23, 02:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

How do you ride a bicycle without pedaling? Realistically I know there are balance bikes but for instance this particular bike we are talking about and all other e-bikes are pedal assist so the only way to go forward is by pedaling. You might be conflating electric mopeds which some companies like to call them bicycles even though unlike a bicycle they move forward with a throttle.

In terms of infrastructure everyone is paying taxes so it is not like anyone is doing anything more monetarily for any of this stuff unless actually funding directly the building of a trail or a solid campaign that wins. In terms of excessive speeds, I have been on enough MUPs where there are plenty of road riders and triathletes going quite fast on non-electric bikes. Would agree on not allowing throttled vehicles on paths but everyone has to play by the rules and if you are head tucked on your tri bike using it as a training ground that is not cool either especially if others are around.

Also keep in mind that cars and more importantly bigger heavier vehicles drive on roads and do more destruction to them then my bicycle but I pay the same taxes so if you want to talk unfair let's go after cars before even the electric mopeds.

Going back to cheating, again have you entered into an agreement with these people with agreed upon rules and they are violating said rules? If so then yes cheating for sure, if not, then no not cheating.
Old 01-07-23, 03:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Electric powered bikes are not Road Bicycles. Hence https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/
Actually the Turbo Creo SL is a road bike techincally the EVO version is a gravel bike but it certainly isn't something else magically. If you don't know about them, that is fine, you can easily research them or find a Specialized dealer and test ride one. I understand you want to believe in the outdated notion that someone getting assistance while pedaling is somehow wrong because ________??? But unfortunately it is not unless someone is using it a race or during a ride with agreed upon rules and they are violating those rules with that bike but this ain't a race and you aren't a race official.

If this is not a road or gravel bicycle what do you call a two wheeled bike with drop bars and narrower tires designed for riding on the road or gravel (in this case)? I mean do we need to create another silly category for bikes just because you haven't caught up with the rest of cyclists and the industry. If you saw the bike riding past and didn't know what it was you wouldn't question it as a road bike nobody would. It is just silly to do that.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-07-23, 03:39 PM
Classtime 

veganbikes I could catch up with the rest of the industry with 250-350 free watts and my outdated notion stems from riding my mini bike on the paths and sidewalk which is much fun if I didn’t get caught. Is that what you are implying by suggesting I couldn’t tell the difference between your electric bike and my road bike? I repeat: BF has an electric bike sub forum.
Old 01-07-23, 06:42 PM
mschwett 

veganbikes I could catch up with the rest of the industry with 250-350 free watts and my outdated notion stems from riding my mini bike on the paths and sidewalk which is much fun if I didn’t get caught. Is that what you are implying by suggesting I couldn’t tell the difference between your electric bike and my road bike? I repeat: BF has an electric bike sub forum.
this forum is also called “road cycling” - not “road bikes.” riding an electric road bike on the roads is road cycling. feel free to leave the thread if the content isn’t of interest to you!
Old 01-07-23, 06:43 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
…If this is not a road or gravel bicycle what do you call a two wheeled bike with drop bars and narrower tires designed for riding on the road or gravel (in this case)? I mean do we need to create another silly category for bikes just because you haven't caught up with the rest of cyclists and the industry. If you saw the bike riding past and didn't know what it was you wouldn't question it as a road bike nobody would. It is just silly to do that.
exactly. a road bike is a bike designed for use primarily on paved roads. narrow tires, aero riding position, etc. the creo qualifies. it’s a road e-bike.
Old 01-07-23, 06:55 PM
Classtime 

I would get a electric road bike but I’d need to loose my wife ☹️

Not your daddy’s Harley
Old 01-07-23, 07:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Not your daddy’s Harley
That is a motorcycle no pedaling to move forward purely throttle though they are pretty cool. One of my ex-co-workers rode the first edition back in 2013 and loved it. Total rocket ship!

Regarding your earlier post:
Is this mini bike a bicycle like say the Creo or are you talking about an actual motorcycle? A motorcycle as anyone knows is not a bicycle. A bicycle requires pedaling.
Old 01-07-23, 07:26 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A motorcycle as anyone knows is not a bicycle. A bicycle requires pedaling.
EXACTLY. Now you get it.
Class 2 e-bikes do not require pedaling. Class 1 and 3 do require fake pedaling.
Old 01-07-23, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

EXACTLY. Now you get it.
Class 2 e-bikes do not require pedaling. Class 1 and 3 do require fake pedaling.
No I don't think you get it, A bike that has a throttle and pedals is called a moped I get that the government needed to classify it as a "class 2" but it is not a bike and shouldn't be bunched together with actual e-bikes which require actual pedaling to move.
I don't know what fake pedaling is? Every time I ride my class 3 e-bike I am really pedaling I don't make it look like I am pedaling while the cranks magically move on their own. I guess someone in a really easy gear is fake pedaling? I guess really the only real pedaling is a really big chainring and a small cog uphill on a fixed gear in your eyes that would be real pedaling because anything that makes pedaling easier has to be wrong.
Old 01-10-23, 08:09 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts

Not your daddy’s Harley
I have four cycles. Ever harley rider I've talk to claims they have to run open exhaust for people to hear them coming, or they will die, hit by cars were ever they go. I don't see a monster sound system on that?