Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2001 Lemond Buenos Aires with upgrades

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-31-22, 01:02 PM
Psalib

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’m considering buying a locally posted Lemond Buenos Aires. It’s been upgraded to ultegra goupset (except the crank, which is the original 105), vision stem and cinelli bars, and Easton SLX 90 wheels.

I wonder what you think would be a good price? Seller is asking 800, which seems high to me based on some other Lemond threads I’ve read. But it’s hard to say, given the upgrades. Thanks!
Old 12-31-22, 02:46 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
That maybe a bit high for my region - SF Bay Area. But condition of it all weighs heavily in my book - "mint" vs banged up.
As I recall, the Buenos Aires model is a couple steps down from the Zurich. There's plenty info on that to be found with a search of this forum.
Where are you? Do you want it to the tune of $800?
Old 12-31-22, 02:52 PM
Psalib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
That maybe a bit high for my region - SF Bay Area. But condition of it all weighs heavily in my book - "mint" vs banged up.
As I recall, the Buenos Aires model is a couple steps down from the Zurich. There's plenty info on that to be found with a search of this forum.
Where are you? Do you want it to the tune of $800?
Yes, the BA is below the Zurich and the Tourmalet, I believe. I’m in TX, so the stock bike would def be too pricey here. I guess the real question is what are the upgraded group set, wheels, stem, shifters, and handlebar worth. What’s your sense of a good price in te Bay Area?

Haven’t seen the condition so can’t speak to that but the pics look pretty good. No visible serious scrapes, rust, or dents. Some light wear and tear on the paint.
Old 12-31-22, 03:21 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
Twist my arm and I have to search for bikes for sale again...

There's a nice looking Zurich for sale here for $500
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/7556804888.html

Another Zurich for $700
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...d-910b688143e6

There's two Buenos Aires, one for $300, the other for $450. But either small or large frames.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...1~gallery~0~82

Plenty of fun bikes out there. A really nice titanium Lemond, Tete de Course, but $1,750. It goes on...
Old 12-31-22, 04:27 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
No feel for the TX market at all. Condition is the major factor here. Given the price of a decent wheelset (the Easton SLX 90 wheels look to be $600+ new) that's a big item. To me, the Ultegra upgrades from 105 is minor(at this stage of the game) as are the bars and stem. A few years back I paid $800 for an '01 Maillot Jaune (all Dura-ace) that was/is in showroom condition. The MJ was the top steel frame(over the Zurich) and under the titanium bikes. Sweet ride.

In 2001 the lineup went the MJ (top) to Zurich to BA. The Tourmalet was a lesser bike with Tiagra components.

Photos tend to be deceiving as they invariably look better than the actual bike. Condition, condition, condition. It's easily worth $600 if it's in really good shape. From that point on..it depends on whether the two of you can reach a compromise.

Some folks balk at higher prices paid for a bike like this. Compare the (potential) cost to what a similar bike costs new($4k?) and then consider what it may be worth. (..sure..it'll be an 11 speed..but once you have 9, 11 isn't much of an increase)
Old 12-31-22, 04:31 PM
Psalib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to both Eric and fishboat. Very helpful. Sounds like the condition is the most important thing to get more information about.
Old 01-01-23, 09:19 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Psalib
Sounds like the condition is the most important thing to get more information about.
You got it. Those are light wheels and in great shape could be $250-300 alone. As could that groupset if it looks great and brake/shifters shifts smartly and still have descent hoods and name plates (which are impossible to find) and there is no sign of frame rust it would be worth easy that price in Portland, OR and less in other markets.
Old 01-08-23, 03:28 PM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts
You could always buy mine right here on the BF website

https://www.bikeforums.net/sale/1256...853-steel.html
Old 01-08-23, 05:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Psalib
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’m considering buying a locally posted Lemond Buenos Aires. It’s been upgraded to ultegra goupset (except the crank, which is the original 105), vision stem and cinelli bars, and Easton SLX 90 wheels.

I wonder what you think would be a good price? Seller is asking 800, which seems high to me based on some other Lemond threads I’ve read. But it’s hard to say, given the upgrades. Thanks!
Upgraded to Ultegra from what year?