Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Happy new gear!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Happy new gear!

Old 01-02-23, 11:12 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Happy new gear!

[sorry. couldn't resist]

My 2023 resolution is to revise my packing system. A couple of times I regretted not having a backpack to hike side trips. Santa was kind enough to find that I am a deserving kid and I got an MLD Core 25L during the holidays. (small, narrow, frameless, waterproof backpack, easy to tie down to a rear rack.). The plan is to ditch the front rack, store "heavy" items in 4 x 5L fork packs (2 front + 2 rear) and the remainder in the backpack. Or something like that.

Have a good one.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 01-08-23, 04:46 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Good idea.
When I did the GAP/C&O I shipped the bike back from DC and took the train to NYC. I took toiletries, rain jacket, etc. in a little Sea to Summit pack the stuffs into its own stuff sack about 3" long and 11/2" in diameter.
Old 01-09-23, 06:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I will be very impressed if you can do a trip with four fork packs of 5 liters each, plus one 25 liter pack on a rear rack. That sums to 45 liters.

Or, am I missing something here, were you planning to also use frame pack and/or handlebar harness, maybe small top tube bag, maybe a large volume saddle bag?

Decades ago when I did a lot of backpacking in the Rockies, a friend of mine used a very small lightweight backpack as his sleeping bag stuff sack when he packed up his larger backpack. Thus, if we stayed in one spot for two nights he had a small daypack that he could use for short hikes on a zero day.
Old 01-09-23, 07:25 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
That looks like a nice pack. I've heard of the company but haven't bought from them.

Are you planning on day trips or overnighters? For day trips, I use a little 20L pack from REI. For overnighters, I use my old Gossamer Gear G4. Neither has padding or hip belt, both pack easily into my Arkel Drylites. I tried using the G4 as a rack-top bag once but it was too unwieldy and finicky to pack. I think it would work with a learning curve.

I seldom go anywhere (other than errands) without hiking gear. My hiking shirt, trousers, and shoes work well as cycling clothes too. I volunteer on several trail crews and can usually cycle to the trailheads.
Old 01-09-23, 09:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Sounds like a nice setup. 45 liter total sounds okay to me. I backpack with that and that is when carrying 4+ days of food in a bear canister (BV450). Touring you can get by carrying very little food and restocking frequently. I'd suggest that if you do need overflow capability for short periods of the tour a bar roll is a way to add capacity. It could even be improvised with a stuffsack and cord. A couple short pieces of pvc pipe or other rigid tubing space it from the bar and might be worth taking if you know you will need to add a roll.
Old 01-09-23, 10:27 AM
gauvins

Well... I've toured the previous 2 summers (self supported including food for up to a week) with 2 front rollers + tent & food tied to the rear rack. Nominally 2 x 12.5L + 15L max on the rack + a camp chair and a 3L dry bag partially filled with rain gear tied on top of the front rollers (total 45L at the most) . So 4x5L + a max 25L on the rack is probably more than I'll ever need. The question will be how to pack and whether 4 x 5L has benefits over 2 X 12.5L.

I see two advantages with my tentative new setup: (1) I'll have a decent backpack for side trips on foot; (2) I can ditch the front rack, making is easier to fly. I am waiting for 2 dry bags, in the mail, and will try to figure this out.
Old 01-09-23, 12:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by gauvins
Well... I've toured the previous 2 summers (self supported including food for up to a week) with 2 front rollers + tent & food tied to the rear rack. Nominally 2 x 12.5L + 15L max on the rack + a camp chair and a 3L dry bag partially filled with rain gear tied on top of the front rollers (total 45L at the most) . So 4x5L + a max 25L on the rack is probably more than I'll ever need. The question will be how to pack and whether 4 x 5L has benefits over 2 X 12.5L.

I see two advantages with my tentative new setup: (1) I'll have a decent backpack for side trips on foot; (2) I can ditch the front rack, making is easier to fly. I am waiting for 2 dry bags, in the mail, and will try to figure this out.
I suspect that I am so used to trips where I carry over a week of food that my volume estimate was somewhat off. And I was assuming this was for your round the world tour that you have been planning. If I was planning a big tour like that, my volume needs would exceed 45 liters by a lot.
Old 01-09-23, 02:28 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
[...] I was assuming this was for your round the world tour that you have been planning[...]
Well, I've never actively planned for a RTW (work + family) and given the current political situation it is becoming less and less of a possibility. I'd say that there's a 50/50 chance that I'll bike tour (with wife and pre-teen) next summer. And a slim possibility that I'll attempt a solo/duo short tour. (life is definitely too short

Last edited by gauvins; 01-09-23 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-09-23, 04:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by gauvins
Well, I've never actively planned for a RTW (work + family) and given the current political situation is becoming less and less of a possibility. I'd say that there's a 50/50 chance that I'll bike tour (with wife and pre-teen) next summer. And a slim possibility that I'll attempts a solo/duo short tour. (life is definitely too short
You are fortunate that you have been able to take some good vacations. Before I retired, my longest vacation was a week long. Work always got in they way.

Exception, I often took two weeks over Christmas and New Years, but that was for family, not a trip.

But now that I am retired, have been able to take multi-week trips. I find that I like five to six week long bike tours the best.