Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stop grips from twisting?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 12:59 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts

as the tittle said, how i can stop grips from twisting?
i have those https://fabric.cc/products/grips/sil...slip-on-grips/
for now i have installed some zip ties but honestly the aestetics of ziptie bother me a lot.
do you use something between the handlebar and the grips? any hack?
Old 01-12-23, 01:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
One trick is hair spray. it's slick when wet to slide the grip on and then sets like a water soluble "glue" when it dries.
Old 01-12-23, 02:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,991 Times in 2,664 Posts
I would recommend hair spray as well but I would also just use lock on grips specifically Ergon grips but only because they are the most comfortable grips I have ever used. I hate dealing with slip-on grips especially after years of them sitting on a bike having to try and get them off.
Old 01-12-23, 02:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
One trick is hair spray. it's slick when wet to slide the grip on and then sets like a water soluble "glue" when it dries.
Hair spray does a good job most of the time. For foam grips (like ESI), I find that the hair spray gets absorbed into the foam too quickly, and the last inch or so of the grip is a beast to finish. Hair gel, however, works great!
Old 01-12-23, 02:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I hate dealing with slip-on grips especially after years of them sitting on a bike having to try and get them off.
Slice them down their length with a razor blade (don't cut into the bar, though!), and peel them off. I consider slip-on grips sacrificial from the start.
Old 01-12-23, 02:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Eric F
Slice them down their length with a razor blade (don't cut into the bar, though!), and peel them off. I consider slip-on grips sacrificial from the start.
Oh I know, I have done that enough either that or use a nozzle on the compressor system and some liquid usually isopropyl but sometimes a cleaner of some sort but I just hate doing it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-12-23, 03:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
for now i have installed some zip ties but honestly the aestetics of ziptie bother me a lot.
Old MC riders used to wire their grips on, as did some old MTBers. I used to run some A'me grips with grooves for the wires, but I never did the wire thing.

many grips will stick after cleaning the bar and inside of the grip with isopropyl (put a couple capfulls in the grip, close off any openings and shake vigorously, then slide onto bar, let dry)
If no joy, hairspray can help.
If still no joy, I know some people used to resort to spraypaint (sounds messy)

I'd shop around for some clamp on grips you like, so much easier
Old 01-12-23, 03:17 PM
CrowSeph

The default one were the dame brand as the bike. Never had any problem and they were very stable. Next i used those lock on, can't remember the brand but they had lots of lamellae very helpful during summer for the sweat but i think they lasted 2.000kms... until i decided to use the ones I mentioned above. The lock on with bolts yes they were stable but i had to cut down all 4 bolts because they were very oxidated and stuck as heck.
Old 01-12-23, 07:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The default one were the dame brand as the bike. Never had any problem and they were very stable. Next i used those lock on, can't remember the brand but they had lots of lamellae very helpful during summer for the sweat but i think they lasted 2.000kms... until i decided to use the ones I mentioned above. The lock on with bolts yes they were stable but i had to cut down all 4 bolts because they were very oxidated and stuck as heck.
Try Ergon grips and you shouldn't have the issues. I believe they are using stainless steel bolts, certainly haven't had any issues with any of mine over the years. My main commuter has seen sweat and heavy rain and no issues and my other bikes have also seen zero issues and my oldest pair is 5 years old I believe and I am a heavy sweater.
Old 01-12-23, 07:40 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Lock-on grips are common in BMX:
https://www.danscomp.com/grips-bar-e...e-parts/c16404
Old 01-12-23, 08:47 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
Many don't believe it, others are too wary to try it, but the solvent (kerosene?) in WD-40 melts the grip, resulting in a good bond. I always preferred that method to the sticky, smelly, messy use of hair spray.
Old 01-13-23, 08:26 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 332 Posts

Grips, like tyres, often seem to have some mould release residue on them which can be cleaned off with soapy water or alcohol.
I sometimes use zip ties (clear for coloured grips, otherwise black) with the buckle underneath where you can't really see it, and cut off carefully so there's no sharp end. A bit of stainless steel wire wrapped a couple of times also works, again be careful with the ends, and don't twist it so much it breaks. Otherwise, as just about everyone has said, hair spray. ISTR people using hair gel too BITD - is that still a thing?
Old 01-13-23, 10:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I would recommend hair spray as well but I would also just use lock on grips specifically Ergon grips but only because they are the most comfortable grips I have ever used. I hate dealing with slip-on grips especially after years of them sitting on a bike having to try and get them off.
They are simple to get off. Slide something under the grip…I use the 2mm allen wrench from Park because it’s the least used allen wrench in their set…and spray some alcohol or water or just about anything water based in there. Remove the allen wrench, twist the grip a few times until it loosens, and the grip slips right off.

I second or third or whatever using hair spray. White Rain in a pump bottle works for me and is exceedingly cheap. I just used up my first bottle of it a couple of years ago. I bought it in the 80s. Pretty good value for $1.29
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-13-23, 11:32 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by cyccommute
They are simple to get off. Slide something under the grip…I use the 2mm allen wrench from Park because it’s the least used allen wrench in their set…and spray some alcohol or water or just about anything water based in there. Remove the allen wrench, twist the grip a few times until it loosens, and the grip slips right off.

I second or third or whatever using hair spray. White Rain in a pump bottle works for me and is exceedingly cheap. I just used up my first bottle of it a couple of years ago. I bought it in the 80s. Pretty good value for $1.29
These are the nightmare grips I am talking about normally yes a little liquid will get most grips off but some that have been there for a long time and have seen their share of sweat and whatever else can be a bit tougher.
Old 01-13-23, 11:56 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Old MC riders used to wire their grips on, as did some old MTBers. I used to run some A'me grips with grooves for the wires, but I never did the wire thing.

many grips will stick after cleaning the bar and inside of the grip with isopropyl (put a couple capfulls in the grip, close off any openings and shake vigorously, then slide onto bar, let dry)
If no joy, hairspray can help.
If still no joy, I know some people used to resort to spraypaint (sounds messy)

I'd shop around for some clamp on grips you like, so much easier
As a motorcycle rider who deals with this on multiple bikes, I have had to use different products for different situations. Hair spray is my normal solution. It makes the grip go on easily, and keeps the grips in place after it dries...usually. For some grips I use contact cement. On heated grips, you usually have to use super glue. It tolerates the heat better. I try hairspray first,a nd of that doesn't hold, I use contact cement. If that doesn't hold, I use super glue. I had a heated grip begin to slip last year, and I pulled it partway off, and used contact cement on it, not knowing what the previous owner used on it. I put contact cement on the bar, and a little on the grip at the end that was sticking out from the bar. I was unable to take the grip all the way off due to the wires going to the grip. I let it sit for a short while and then slid it on. It hasn't moved since. You won't let it dry as long before putting them on like you would normally with contact cement, but you will want to let it set a short time. If you do it normally you won't be able to slide the grip on.

Getting them off is a nonissue, since you can cut them off if necessary.
Old 01-13-23, 12:04 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I just stick a piece of medical cloth tape to the handlebar ahead of putting the grip on. A piece is enough to prevent the rotation. If you put too much it may get hard to take the grip off.
Old 01-13-23, 12:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
These are the nightmare grips I am talking about normally yes a little liquid will get most grips off but some that have been there for a long time and have seen their share of sweat and whatever else can be a bit tougher.
There’s no grip harder to get off (or on) in my experience than ESI Chunkys. The alcohol or water under the grip works quite well on those. I also take grips off bikes at my co-op regularly and haven’t found any that can’t be removed with the method I describe above. Even the ones that are sticky with age.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-13-23, 12:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by cyccommute
There’s no grip harder to get off (or on) in my experience than ESI Chunkys. The alcohol or water under the grip works quite well on those. I also take grips off bikes at my co-op regularly and haven’t found any that can’t be removed with the method I describe above. Even the ones that are sticky with age.
Yeah the ESIs are a bit of a pain, I do have those on the extensions/bar ins/whatever you want to call them of my Koga Denham bars not the Chunkys but still but with the odd curve and I believe a 23.9OD vs 22.2 I can understand a bit. We got them on just fine and they work a dream and as much as lock ons would be cool with the bends it wouldn't work well.
Old 01-14-23, 03:35 PM
CrowSeph

Can anyone share a photo of the wiring?
Old 01-14-23, 03:40 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Can anyone share a photo of the wiring?
Old 01-14-23, 03:50 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Old 01-15-23, 03:25 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Tnx for the video but this is an horrible way 😲
Old 01-16-23, 12:35 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I just use rubbing alcohol and ESI or Wolftooth silicone grips. They set up in about an hour and stay put thereafter. You can shoot some Dust-off compressed air under the grip to accelerate the evaporation.
Old 01-16-23, 02:07 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 332 Posts
Tnx for the video but this is an horrible way 😲
There's a lot of dirt bikers will disagree with you, although it's normal to put two turns of wire around the grip before twisting it tight. Put the twists where they're not going to snag your hand, cut the tails so there's three twists left, and tuck them in well. It works.
Old 01-16-23, 03:13 PM
CrowSeph

update: i used the hair spray and seems work! can't wait to test it during a ride..
dang it! hair spray on the grips sound so funny but that's an amazing solution,,,,
Likes For CrowSeph: