Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Have metallic paints come to the point where they mimic chrome?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 02:52 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 662 Posts

I keep reading how the chrome in a frame might be bad news, it never looks as good as the original chrome work, in that heat may undo the vital brazes that keep our frames together

When Bike Painter was telling me about a new product that mimics the look of chrome, copper, brass, gold etc. but that he has never use it personally.

I have tried googling it and from what I can see things still look like metallic as opposed to the smooth mirror finish of chrome.

Does anybody have any experience in this area? And if so what is the product they recommend
Old 01-11-23, 03:11 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
According to the Wikipedia article on chrome plating: "For decorative coating the temperature ranges from 35 to 45 °C (100 to 110 °F), but for hard coating it ranges from 50 to 65 °C (120 to 150 °F)." Nowhere near the temperatures that would affect brazing, or tempering of the steel. You'd want to confirm that with whoever is going to do your plating, but it doesn't seem to be very hot at all and I've never heard that expressed as a concern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 01-11-23 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-11-23, 04:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I think the biggest problem with chrome is finding someone that can polish bike parts well. The process itself sometimes ends up ruining bikes, but I don't think that's very common. It is expensive, at least in the U.S.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-11-23, 05:32 PM
Robvolz 

1 it’s expensive

2 it’s not a very environmentally friendly thing to do

3. I feel bad for the employees involved in the industry because it’s such a toxic environment

4. Most of the chrome shops have closed, and insurance for operating one has gone up 10 fold in the past five years

if there’s a product out there that mimics chrome without all the hassle, I would consider it.

Lastly, the thing I heard about the brazing being affected was not made up. I had overheard some very well-known Framebuilder’s discussing why they don’t like to chrome in the first place, and why it’s worse to re-chrome.

I am not a Framebuilder or a bicycle painter so please accept my apologies if I am completely off base.
Old 01-11-23, 06:04 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
When Bike Painter was telling me about a new product that mimics the look of chrome, copper, brass, gold etc. but that he has never use it personally.
I have tried googling it and from what I can see things still look like metallic as opposed to the smooth mirror finish of chrome.
Does anybody have any experience in this area? And if so what is the product they recommend
I have no experience but did some research on this awhile back. Here is at least one place that does it. It's a process that requires some special equipment so probably not something the occasional home mechanic would want to invest in. www.sprayonchrometech.com It's supposed to be much more environmentally friendly and less expensive to have applied but not as durable as real chrome or nickel plating but easier to work with for bikes. Jay Leno says he uses this type of chrome on many of his car restorations.
Old 01-11-23, 06:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I have seen a powder coat that looked a lot like polished copper. Although it stayed the same and didn't develop verdigris like copper would. I just really impressed myself by spelling verdigris right, must be because I'm studying French
Old 01-12-23, 02:11 PM
Robvolz 

Me, first year in college: "God damn I'm an idiot, I don't understand a thing. I feel like they are speaking a different language!"

Friend: That's your French class.
Old 02-22-23, 08:19 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Saw a guy holding a raw unpainted frame, I asked "Whats next?"
He said he was taking it to a chromer in nearby Bronx, NY.
The price sounded cheaper than a standard paint job.
Now i forget the name of the place or if he was doing chrome or nickel-plate..
but I would like to nickle-plate a frame someday soon.