Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

More Upright - Managing Cramped Cockpit

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-14-23, 09:28 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts

I thought the touring community would be a good place to post this...

I have a Surly Cross Check that I use for mixed surface rides, including credit card tours. Generally with any bike I’ve had, something related to comfort is less than ideal. On this bike, my back to my neck and arms are very comfortable, with the bar drop 3cm below the saddle and average reach, but the Selle Italia saddle was never comfortable. I recently put a Brooks Professional saddle on the bike, and when I was dialing in saddle height, fore and aft (and tilt) I ended up changing my stem to shorter and more upright, and now I’m very comfortable on the saddle. However, the cockpit feels cramped. Initially the bike feels so comfortable, but after 45 minutes I get some discomfort in my neck and arms. When I put a longer and lower stem on the bike the saddle is less comfortable and I can feel some pressure down below.

So I want to ride more upright but want to dial in reach and bar height.

Thoughts on reach vs. Bar height and where to make adjustments? What’s your experience with feeling cramped and did you resolve it.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-23, 10:53 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
If you "recently" started riding the Brooks I would give it a couple of months to break in. So set your cockpit position to be comfortable and see if the saddle discomfort decreases with a bit of time as you wear it in.
Old 01-14-23, 11:43 AM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by nun
If you "recently" started riding the Brooks I would give it a couple of months to break in. So set your cockpit position to be comfortable and see if the saddle discomfort decreases with a bit of time as you wear it in.
Just to clarify, the saddle feels very comfortable. It’s my neck and shoulders that don’t feel great.
Old 01-14-23, 12:06 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Raise your bars. Just a little at a time. I did see a recent touring bike come through that had an adjustable stem for bar hight. He told me he makes small adjustments throughout the day when ridding...
Old 01-14-23, 01:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
A fitter would be perfect for you! Get a nice dynamic fit and you will thank yourself!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-14-23, 08:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Raise your bars. Just a little at a time. I did see a recent touring bike come through that had an adjustable stem for bar hight. He told me he makes small adjustments throughout the day when ridding...
I have an adjustable quill stem on a couple of my bikes along with a drop handlebar. I like t hat I can raise or lower the stem for different conditions although if the change in height is a fair bit i also rotate the handlebar so that the brake levers are in the optimal position.

Example.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 01-14-23, 09:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I ended up changing my stem to shorter and more upright, and now I’m very comfortable on the saddle. However, the cockpit feels cramped. Initially the bike feels so comfortable, but after 45 minutes I get some discomfort in my neck and arms. When I put a longer and lower stem on the bike the saddle is less comfortable and I can feel some pressure down below.

So I want to ride more upright but want to dial in reach and bar height.
Are you locking your elbows when you ride? That's a sure way to get neck and shoulder pain. Keep 'em loose!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-15-23, 03:15 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Are there situations where an adjustable stem is not safe?
Old 01-15-23, 03:55 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 220 Posts
As a general rule, setting a bike up so that it has too little reach is really difficult to achieve. Too much happens almost automatically to most people.

But typically when facing any sort of neck, arm, or hand pain the issue isn't really with reach or drop but rather with saddle height. Most people have their saddle too high, which causes pelvic instability which then transfers issues to the upper body as it has to take the slack the pelvis isn't supporting.

Mentioning saddle discomfort with the earlier saddle (which is also most times caused by too high a saddle height) and going to feeling cramped but still having upper body discomfort really kinda hints at the issue not being at the cockpit area at all.

As a second general rule, your saddle can't really be too low unless we're talking something comically low. And even if it is, it doesn't really cause any issues. Knee issues from too low saddles etc. is largely a myth unless we're discussing a powerful rider with a saddle height thats too low to the extreme (several cm below the low threshold). All the injuries come from too high a saddle height.

So lowering the saddle is something I'd try
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 01-15-23, 07:42 AM
Noonievut

Thanks for the responses and ideas. I’ll mention some things below that touch on questions and suggestions.

- I’ve had professional fittings on both my bikes (both bikes in the same visit) but with previous Selle Italia Flight saddle. Resulting fitting on the Surly was a longer reach and lower bar than I now have on after going to the Brooks. As mentioned, that position was good for arms and neck, but uncomfortable saddle. My bars are now higher and closer, I don’t think moving them even higher and closer when I feel cramped will work?

- I think the saddle height is dialed. I feel so comfortable on the saddle, no knee pain, very balanced feeling

- my arms and shoulders initially feel very relaxed when riding. I can tell though that bars are closer and higher than I’m used to, and it’s only after riding a while that my neck and arms start to hurt a bit

- I’m going to try a stem that is 10mm longer and will see how that goes. My reach to the hoods from where my sit bones are on the saddle is ‘now’ 2cm shorter than it was with the other saddle.

Last edited by Noonievut; 01-15-23 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-15-23, 08:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Are there situations where an adjustable stem is not safe?
I think not a safety hazard if used as intended, but mine does appear to add a bit of flex.

I have one on my folding bike. That particular one might be unsafe because I put a quick release on it, that makes it easier to store the bike when I fold it. I am quite sure that the stem manufacturer would issue me a stern warning if they saw the quick release on their stem.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-15-23, 04:40 PM
RayLee

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I am 6'3" so I can't just go with long steerers as they would be comically long so I do riser bars even my drop bars are riser (Specialized Hover and Soma Condor 2)

FYI I absolutely love my Brooks on my very upright city bike and my old touring bike but once I lean/roll forward even a little the slippery finish and just the way its built wont work for me. end up needing a little nose high but that creates pressure issues after 3 or 4 hours.
Old 01-15-23, 07:43 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by RayLee
I am 6'3" so I can't just go with long steerers as they would be comically long so I do riser bars even my drop bars are riser (Specialized Hover and Soma Condor 2)

FYI I absolutely love my Brooks on my very upright city bike and my old touring bike but once I lean/roll forward even a little the slippery finish and just the way its built wont work for me. end up needing a little nose high but that creates pressure issues after 3 or 4 hours.
Bingo! I think this is my problem. I’m compensating with my posture and somehow putting a strain on my neck and arms.
Old 01-15-23, 09:43 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
As far as reach and bar height go, both of those impact how much you lean forward with your back and what your back angle is. I have tried to get all my bikes to have about the same bar height and reach, but my folding bike which has a much shorter reach, on that bike I have a much lower bar height to compensate for the shorter reach so that my back is angled about the same as on my other bikes. That works for me.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-16-23, 10:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Neck and arm pain? I remember a number of years ago I was getting a lot of neck and shoulder pain after riding a number of miles. I tried playibg with saddle and handlebar height and reach to no avail. It turned out that the problem was the visor on my helmet. To see under it I had to tilt my head back quite a bit and that after a bit of time riding was what caused the neck and shoulder pain. My visor on that helmet was not see through. I took that visor off on a ride and shortly after on the same ride the pain reduced substantially.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 01-17-23, 02:23 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Neck and arm pain? I remember a number of years ago I was getting a lot of neck and shoulder pain after riding a number of miles. I tried playibg with saddle and handlebar height and reach to no avail. It turned out that the problem was the visor on my helmet. To see under it I had to tilt my head back quite a bit and that after a bit of time riding was what caused the neck and shoulder pain. My visor on that helmet was not see through. I took that visor off on a ride and shortly after on the same ride the pain reduced substantially.

Cheers
That’s a good point and I thought about this during yesterday’s lunch time ride. My prescription sunglasses are too small and the sun comes though the top of them, sometimes making me want to tilt my head back to block it out. I was conscious about this during the ride and it was better.
Old 01-18-23, 08:19 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
Bingo! I think this is my problem. I’m compensating with my posture and somehow putting a strain on my neck and arms.
I've got Brooks saddles on a number of bikes, and one of them has lower dropbars than the others, and I have noticed that seat angle is more critical in finding that right angle that doesnt have pressure (also of course connected to seat height) or have that sliding forward feeling.
It is nice on this bike that the seatpost is the type that you can make infinitely small angle adjustments, ie NOT the type with the notches interface. This has helped get the seat angle just right, although on one of my bikes, it seems that the notches are larger in size, so a bigger jump in angle between each notch (very likely a cheap seatpost)

but to go back, you do say that you feel you need to extend your bars out and up, so the only way to really know is to find a stem that does this so you can ride a before and after test to really know.
Old 01-21-23, 06:17 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers
The first thing I do when buying a helmet is get rid of the visor for this very reason.
Old 02-05-23, 04:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
One thing I have noticed about Brooks is that, in addition to the (well-known) limitation of having a very short section of parallel rails, which limits how much fore-aft adjustment you can do, the parallel part sits a little bit further back compared to other saddles of the same length. The net result is that even when you slam the saddle all the way back, you might be further forward than your ideal position on a generic saddle. I've got a custom bike designed with a 15mm setback seatpost in mind. For the Brooks, I really ought to get a 25 mm setback post in order to position the saddle the way the frame builder originally intended.