Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 03:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Redundancy is a different issue than convenience. I know a guy that wears a wrist watch on each wrist, because it's sometimes more convenient to look at one rather than the other. Despite adding some convenience, the second watch is still redundant.
Since I collect both wrist and pocket watches, I routinely wear/carry one of each. Redundant? Of course! Maybe even a silly affectation. But, you know, I'm old enough not to give a crap.

"The man with one watch always knows the time. The man with two watches is never certain."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-15-23, 03:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yes the difference is $ 9000 dollars....You're basically paying $ 9000 extra just to gain maybe 1 - 2 MPH and save yourself few seconds.
Gaining 1 mph is not a few seconds. Assuming 20 mph vs 19, after an hour it's over 3 minutes.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-15-23, 04:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Gaining 1 mph is not a few seconds. Assuming 20 mph vs 19, after an hour it's over 3 minutes.
Those 3 minutes are irrelevant unless somebody is getting paid to win races.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-15-23, 04:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Those 3 minutes are irrelevant unless somebody is getting paid to win races.
What a ridiculous thing to say! As if a desire to go farther with less effort isn't a perfectly valid goal! A goal which, I'd remind you, you yourself seek when your ride your bike rather than walking.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-15-23, 04:50 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
TL;DR To answer the question in the title of the post, the bike is worth the money to the person who is purchasing the bike. The person did the cost/benefit analysis and for them, the $14k is a good investment. Now. Will the $14k make them a better rider? Probably not. BUT, if the bike gets them out and exercising more, and they get more enjoyment out of the ride after shelling out $14k, then the money was most definitely worth it.

To each their own, as the saying goes.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 01-15-23, 04:53 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster.

Why? The same "why" we climb mountains. Really no point to it other than "we can".
Old 01-15-23, 05:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
What a ridiculous thing to say! As if a desire to go farther with less effort isn't a perfectly valid goal! A goal which, I'd remind you, you yourself seek when your ride your bike rather than walking.
But, but.. you'd get more exercise with a heavier and likely cheaper bike.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-15-23, 05:51 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
I can't do more than 4 fields on the screen at a time, myself, and time of day is something I need to know far less frequently than speed, cadence, HR, and distance covered so far.
Yeah, I also have only 4 fields on my main page. I put the stuff I need to know less frequently, including the time of day, on a second page.

But I'd be hypocritical if I insisted everyone had to agree with my preferences, wouldn't I?
The world would be a dull place if everyone had the same preferences.

Since I collect both wrist and pocket watches, I routinely wear/carry one of each. Redundant? Of course! Maybe even a silly affectation. But, you know, I'm old enough not to give a crap.
Since you collect watches, it's like wearing two little pieces of art.
Old 01-15-23, 05:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
But, but.. you'd get more exercise with a heavier and likely cheaper bike.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-15-23, 05:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, I also have only 4 fields on my main page. I put the stuff I need to know less frequently, including the time of day, on a second page.
Every time I think to look at the next page, I hit the wrong button, so I don't bother anymore.

And everything would be very expensive.

Since you collect watches, it's like wearing two little pieces of art.
And since I service them myself, also two little pieces of me.

Old 01-15-23, 06:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Yes the difference is $ 9000 dollars....You're basically paying $ 9000 extra just to gain maybe 1 - 2 MPH and save yourself few seconds.
What if someone doesn't care about going faster and they just want to have the more expensive bike? Would that be ok?

Some people assume that everything is always done to go faster. Some riders just want to buy a bike they like. Why does it matter to anyone else how much they spend? What if they just hang it on the wall and look at it? Is that ok? Are they then stupid?

We'll have to decide on a number, a monetary amount that is acceptable for others to spend and still be good doctors, still be not stupid. Would it be $3? How about $5000? Certainly not $14K, that is just too much.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-15-23, 06:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
If I could gain 1-2 mph by spending an extra $9k, I’d do it in a heartbeat. But it doesn’t actually work like that.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-15-23, 06:12 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts

"The man with one watch always knows the time. The man with two watches is never certain."
My father and grandfather left me some fancy watches. What a curse! Keeping them running properly was an expensive proposition. The fanciest was a mechanical chronograph. I wore it for about 25 years, with occasional service. Some years ago, I spent $622 on its last (for me) overhaul and then gave it to my nephew. Good riddance.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-15-23, 07:39 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
You will save weight with a $14,000 bike because your wallet will be much lighter.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-15-23, 07:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Well only if they aren't my preferences, we would have some really awesome bikes and some delicious whiskey and plenty of delicious cake and donuts! I will even make a $200 bike for wolfy and uneasyryda it will do everything somehow.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-15-23, 10:27 PM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
​You do understand the older one gets, the less likely you are to realize any benefits from that 6 year wait, right?
Probably makes more sense to look at the available 6 y.o. bikes now.
I wasn't being serious about a buying tactic as much as pointing out how much value is lost on these crazy expensive new bikes.

But you can probably get a smoking deal on a second gen Venge right now, if that's your jam. But some people are convinced they need the "cutting edge" and the Joneses are worth a new Kia.
Old 01-15-23, 10:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Sheesh, and I thought boating forums were bad in the winter…

And what kind of 2 stroke lube is the best?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-15-23, 10:52 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Guess what? There are objective reasons for why Dura Ace costs that much. Shimano used to publish a chart showing the materials used in each groupset, and you can see exactly how your money went towards titanium parts, forged aluminum parts, ball bearings instead of brass bushings, etc. And you can also see the additionally matching done to lighten the cranks and brake calipers, the 2-piece bonded hollow crank arm, carbon reinforced hollow chain rings, etc. So it’s not just ‘yeah, that’s what people will pay. What’s it to you?’

At no point was I justifying paying for this bike. I was explaining why the bike costs so much.

How many times does it need to be said: cost of materials, research, manufacturing, etc. does not set the price at which things sell. Except that it sets a price below which the company can't make the profit margin they want. The stuff you list only impacts that, not the actual selling price.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-15-23, 10:57 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by A350driver
What I find hilarious is the guy who will pay $14k for a 16lb bike but he’s 30 pounds overweight!
Why? Maybe they just like to ride a really nice bike and can afford it. I find it hilarious that people are so naive as to project their own values and criteria onto others.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-15-23, 10:59 PM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
How many times does it need to be said: cost of materials, research, manufacturing, etc. does not set the price at which things sell. Except that it sets a price below which the company can't make the profit margin they want. The stuff you list only impacts that, not the actual selling price.
+1. The difference in material costs between Ultegra and DA is probably $29.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-15-23, 11:04 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by beng1
A. Just because a marketer says something is an improvement over last-year, does not mean it is an improvement. When marketers say something is better, it is marketing, being able to tell consumers something is new is a way to keep profits up for corporations and that is it.
C. If all pros had to use low-end racing bikes as someone else mentioned Japan may, then there would be a chance that people could learn that racing is about being the fastest rider, not the rider with the most money or technology.
You really think that bike races are won by the best equipment? That equipment trumps fitness+raw ability? Funny. All pros have the very best equipment available. Therefore, equipment has nothing to do with it.

In my area there is a 59 year-old woman who wins local time-trials over all other female entrants. She is obviously a good athlete, but she is wealthy and rides $14,000 bicycles that no other competitor has, so who or what won the race?
Tell us. Tell us that the equipment won the race, not the rider.

D. My only claim for my $3 TT bike, is that in local fun events I can do as well on it time-wise as 2/3rds of the entrants, and could do much better if I was not a cardiac patient in my 60s. And because I am not brainwashed by marketers I can have fun on $3 bicycles, as much fun as the brainwashed have for 13,997 more. So today I am going to go help someone buy eye drops to treat their glaucoma which they can not afford.
Everyone who isn't as discerning as you is brainwashed. I get it. Thanks.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-15-23, 11:08 PM
Camilo

It doesn't change the fact that a wristwatch is redundant if you have a phone. I'm with your nephew on this one. (And, not everyone loses their phone.)
I agree.
I'm no millennial (born in the early 50s!!) haven't worn a wristwatch in probably 10-15 years, maybe 20 now. It is extremely rare as to be approaching never that I need to know the time and don't have a clock within a glance at all times: home, office (before I retired), on the computer, on my bike, in the car, and as a last resort, I usually have my phone out, but it takes 1.0 seconds to pull it out of my pocket. I might admit that "time" isn't always readily available when I'm skiing (Nordic or Alpine), but if I'm concerned about time, I take a look at my phone and then figure it out from there. Wrist watches are unnecessary for me and I never liked wearing them even before I started carrying a phone in my pocket.

Last edited by Camilo; 01-15-23 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-15-23, 11:16 PM
Camilo

Well, I don't know about you, but when I'm out on a ride, I find it WAY easier to sneak a quick peak at my wrist than to take a hand off the bar, reach back into my jersey pocket, pull out my phone in its little plastic bag, switch it on, look at the time, and then stuff it back in, without pulling out the empty food wrappers I stuff in there.
I have this obscure little known device on my handlbars for about the last 30 years that tells time as well as mileage and speed! You can look it up on the internet and find one, I'll bet.
Old 01-15-23, 11:23 PM
Camilo

Again, convenience and redundancy are different issues. I own two very similar road bikes; they're almost totally redundant, but it's very convenient to leave one set up on the smart trainer year round.
Or as I used to do: at my office so I didn't have to haul one back and forth to take a quick ride at lunch if I had the chance. I also have multi-redundancy with floor pumps: one in my garage with my bikes, one in my car, one in my wife's car, one at my office (when I worked) and now one in my trailer-pulling pickup stored out of state. We also dedicate helmets and shoes to the truck (old helmets, old shoes, still functional) We're about to dedicate bikes to the truck so we don't have to haul them back and forth every time we fly south to use it. None of these redundant items are top shelf/expensive versions of whatever they are.

I also have a fully equipped saddle bag on every single bike we own (8) even though theoretically one could move one from one bike to another. Until you get to your ride and have forgotten it. Not worth it to me.

Convenience is worth redundancy sometimes.
Old 01-15-23, 11:30 PM
Camilo

What if speed is irrelevant to the purchaser? Note my signature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.