Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do all BSA 68 bottom brackets have the same thread length?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 01:42 PM
dominic18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello

I would like to replace my BBR60 24mm Ultegra bottom bracket (BSA 68) with a Rotor 30mm BSA 68mm so that I can install Rotor InPower cranks.

From the online shop I have the visual impression that the BSA thread on the Rotor BB is slightly longer than on the BBR60. Are all BSA threads the same depth/length or could it be that the Rotor BB would not fit?

I haven‘t visually checked how long the thread in my frame is…

Thanks!
Dominic
Old 01-13-23, 02:45 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by dominic18
From the online shop I have the visual impression that the BSA thread on the Rotor BB is slightly longer than on the BBR60. Are all BSA threads the same depth/length or could it be that the Rotor BB would not fit?
If the thread isn't wide enough you can probably have it tapped some more. I've never seen any mention of how wide the thread should be, never even thought about it, I've tapped and fitted quite a few bottom brackets.
Old 01-13-23, 03:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I don't know of a standard for depth of threading in the shell. If your frame is an older steel one, it may not be threaded as deeply as a newer frame. The reason is that the steel cups of old-school bottom brackets didn't need to engage very many threads in the shell to get a good purchase. I've noticed that newer cartridge bottom brackets with aluminum cups sometimes have more threads, I think to spread out the load on the softer material.

If your Rotor BB cups can't thread all the way into the frame, the right thing to do is to have the bottom bracket shell tapped deeper. Alternately, I have ground off some of the leading threads on modern BB cups so they can thread all the way in.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-13-23, 03:39 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 1,021 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-13-23, 06:56 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Thread length isn't the issue because there's thread relief beyond the thread.

Since weight is always a consideration, BB aren't made with the same wall thickness all the way across. Obviously the outer half inch or so on each side has an ID based on the thread, but the middle can and does have a larger ID, typically larger than the thread OD.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-14-23 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-14-23, 06:28 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I'll second what FB said. I build bicycle frames and every bottom bracket I have used has a relief in the center of the bottom bracket that would allow you to thread something in past the end of the threaded portion.
Old 01-14-23, 02:42 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If your frame is an older steel one, it may not be threaded as deeply as a newer frame. The reason is that the steel cups of old-school bottom brackets didn't need to engage very many threads in the shell to get a good purchase.
I disagree. A CCB BB axle exerts significant axial stress on the cups, trying to push them out, while a cassette BB exerts mostly radial forces on the shell.
You don't need much thread to hold a monobloc BB in place, which is why they can be made of plastic, or just fixed with a couple of lock rings and no thread at all engaging with the BB shell.
Old 01-14-23, 02:49 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I disagree. A CCB BB axle exerts significant axial stress on the cups, trying to push them out, while a cassette BB exerts mostly radial forces on the shell.
You don't need much thread to hold a monobloc BB in place, which is why they can be made of plastic, or just fixed with a couple of lock rings and no thread at all engaging with the BB shell.
"Disagree"!!!! You have to be kidding. Find a single instance of cup and cone BB pushing its way out off the frame threads. That's freakin' ridiculous to even suggest.

We can all pedal our pet engineering theories until the cows come home, but the answer to the OPs question is "It doesn't matter." Anything else is just really bad advice.
Old 01-14-23, 04:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I'll second what FB said. I build bicycle frames and every bottom bracket I have used has a relief in the center of the bottom bracket that would allow you to thread something in past the end of the threaded portion.
While Cinelli and most other investment cast bottom bracket shells do have the relieved section past where the threads end, not all do. And bulge-formed shells tend not to have the relief.
In any case, if you encounter a shell that will not allow your cup or cartridge to fully seat, you can use bottom bracket taps to extend the threads.

N.B. I think the "unknown" shell above is probably Henry James, and does not have the relieved section.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 01-14-23 at 04:37 PM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-16-23, 02:56 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by Kontact
"Disagree"!!!! You have to be kidding. Find a single instance of cup and cone BB pushing its way out off the frame threads. That's freakin' ridiculous to even suggest.
I didn't actually suggest that - I simply stated that the CCB arrangement causes axial forces to act on the cups.
Originally Posted by Kontact
We can all pedal our pet engineering theories until the cows come home, but the answer to the OPs question is "It doesn't matter." Anything else is just really bad advice.
I wasn't replying to the OP nor offering advice (that was in my earlier post in this thread).
Old 01-20-23, 09:49 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have had older frames where the threads were too short to accommodate the cups on a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket. I used a dremel to grind away the protruding ends of the shoddily mitered tubes that protruded into the BB shell, then had a shop run the taps through to extend the threads a bit. For most modern-ish frames I doubt the protruding tube ends will be an issue, but the taps will likely be the correct solution.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-20-23, 09:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I have had older frames where the threads were too short to accommodate the cups on a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket. I used a dremel to grind away the protruding ends of the shoddily mitered tubes that protruded into the BB shell, then had a shop run the taps through to extend the threads a bit.
Was the problem that the threads were too short, or that the protruding tubes prevented installing a modern cartridge bottom bracket?
Old 01-25-23, 08:04 AM
ClydeClydeson

JohnDThompson Both I think
Old 01-25-23, 12:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
JohnDThompson Both I think
A Dremel with a grinding attachment can remove protruding tubes that prevent a cartridge from being installed, and bottom bracket taps can extend the thread as needed. Or a threadless cartridge from Velo-Orange or similar can be installed.
Old 01-25-23, 02:53 PM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A Dremel with a grinding attachment can remove protruding tubes that prevent a cartridge from being installed, and bottom bracket taps can extend the thread as needed.
This was the solution, yes.
Old 01-25-23, 03:42 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
A Dremel with a grinding attachment can remove protruding tubes that prevent a cartridge from being installed, and bottom bracket taps can extend the thread as needed. Or a threadless cartridge from Velo-Orange or similar can be installed.
FWIW: Velo-Orange no longer offers a threadless cartridge bottom bracket on their website. However, YST and Sunlight still offer them.

I believe I've also seen threadless BBs offered by a third manufacturer within the past few months (Olympia? Olympic?), but I can't say with certainty whether they're still available today.
Old 01-25-23, 09:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Hondo6
FWIW: Velo-Orange no longer offers a threadless cartridge bottom bracket on their website. However, YST and Sunlight still offer them.

I believe I've also seen threadless BBs offered by a third manufacturer within the past few months (Olympia? Olympic?), but I can't say with certainty whether they're still available today.
The YST threadless cartridge has a less-than-stellar reputation. Historically, threadless cartridges have also been offered by Mavic and Edco.
Old 01-26-23, 12:38 AM
Hondo6

The YST threadless cartridge has a less-than-stellar reputation. Historically, threadless cartridges have also been offered by Mavic and Edco.
I'll defer to your opinion on the YST, since I haven't had to use a thradless BB - yet - and hopefully never will.

I knew about the Mavic threadless; not sure I'd run across references to the Edco version. Any idea if either of those are still made? I ask because I occasionally search for threadless BBs (personal interest, and in case of for possible future need). I don't remember seeing the Mavic version come up except as either used or vintage NOS. Would be nice to have other higher-quality options if needed.
Old 01-26-23, 08:25 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Hondo6
I'll defer to your opinion on the YST, since I haven't had to use a thradless BB - yet - and hopefully never will.
The YST bearings didn't last long, but it was inexpensive enough to simply replace at that point.

I knew about the Mavic threadless; not sure I'd run across references to the Edco version. Any idea if either of those are still made? I ask because I occasionally search for threadless BBs (personal interest, and in case of for possible future need). I don't remember seeing the Mavic version come up except as either used or vintage NOS. Would be nice to have other higher-quality options if needed.
Both the Mavic and the Edco have been out of production for many years, but can still be found. The Mavic required chamfering the bottom bracket shell with a special tool prior to installation.

The Edco used eccentric cups to lock the cartridge in place.

Old 01-27-23, 02:52 PM
Hondo6

Both the Mavic and the Edco have been out of production for many years, but can still be found.
Was afraid you were going to say that. Yeah, I've seen that they can still be found - but they aren't common or reasonably priced if NOS, either. And from what I've seen the spindle length selections are pretty sparse also.

Appreciate the info. Thanks.