Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 02:08 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Be happy about what? How much time it takes to make a frame? Not sure I'd really associate any emotion with that.
It’s not the slow artisanal process you were led to believe.
Old 01-20-23, 02:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Since you mention too much time on one’s hand. I am still playing around with this hand built myth. Even if we run with Cinelli bs numbers of 700+ per year much less the thousands by Colnago, Masi and the usual suspects. There are approximately 230 working days a year in Italy maximum so we are talking approximately 3 frames a day or 2.5 hours per frame in Cinelli case. Is that really something to be happy about.
That's going to require a lot of Luigis.
Old 01-20-23, 02:35 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
It’s not the slow artisanal process you were led to believe.
It's a Supercorsa. I'm good.

Back when my Supercorsa was built, it was pretty much by one guy (not a "Luigi," BTW. But a Mario instead). Not every Cinelli got this treatment. This is what's skewing your numbers.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-21-23, 06:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
It's a Supercorsa. I'm good.

Back when my Supercorsa was built, it was pretty much by one guy (not a "Luigi," BTW. But a Mario instead). Not every Cinelli got this treatment. This is what's skewing your numbers.
We all value different things. For you, a vintage frame hand-built in Italy by a minimum number of people appears to be important. For others, maybe not so much. Personally I prefer the results of modern design and manufacturing technology. But I do also appreciate the classics, while you appear to deride modern bikes and often talk rubbish about them.
Old 01-21-23, 07:32 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Now that this thread had reached 24 pages, has anyone come up with a definitive answer as to which braking system is better? I need to know which bike/bikes to keep.

Old 01-21-23, 10:45 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by PeteHski
But I do also appreciate the classics, while you appear to deride modern bikes and often talk rubbish about them.
So? What’s your point? We can’t all like everything. My opinion is that modern black plastic bikes with hidden cables and disc brakes and underinflated semi-mountain bike tires are butt-ugly, and I would never, ever own one. While at the same time admitting they are lighter and in some respects function better.

Glad you appreciate the classics. I have little appreciation for modern bikes. My opinion should mean nothing to you.
Old 01-21-23, 11:05 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have little appreciation for modern bikes.
...they are lighter and in some respects function better.
Nothing wrong with valuing aesthetics over performance, especially if one doesn't care about or isn't going to realize the advantage. I have a three-bar "klunker" that looks cool and is a blast to ride, even though it's heavy and impractical. The difference is, I also own a modern-ish mountain bike. I've always found purists to be boring.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-21-23, 11:17 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Rolla
Nothing wrong with valuing aesthetics over performance, especially if one doesn't care about or isn't going to realize the advantage.
It's not just about aesthetics, of course. I have a top-of-the-line frame with top-of-the-line components. Just a few years older. I'm not looking to win the TDF in my little neck of NC.
I've always found purists to be boring.
Whatever. I'm not even sure what that means, but it sure seems to paint with a broad brush.
Old 01-21-23, 11:31 AM
PeteHski

So? What’s your point? We can’t all like everything. My opinion is that modern black plastic bikes with hidden cables and disc brakes and underinflated semi-mountain bike tires are butt-ugly, and I would never, ever own one. While at the same time admitting they are lighter and in some respects function better.

Glad you appreciate the classics. I have little appreciation for modern bikes. My opinion should mean nothing to you.
The point is that you talk a load of nonsense.
Old 01-21-23, 11:53 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm not even sure what that means
Huh. I thought it was pretty clear. It means that I think people who "only ride singlespeed" or "only drive air-cooled engines" or "only listen to classic rock" or "only ride 80s road bikes" are uninteresting.

it sure seems to paint with a broad brush
Well, as someone here recently said, "My opinion should mean nothing to you."
Old 01-21-23, 12:55 PM
smd4

The point is that you talk a load of nonsense.
Lemme guess…you were on the debate team in high school?
Old 01-21-23, 12:56 PM
smd4

Oh, it doesn’t.
Old 01-21-23, 01:53 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I have 4 bikes, 2 that have rim brakes, 2 that have disk brakes...
Of course, I am keeping my rim brake bikes they work fine.
the disk brakes are cable brakes (not hydraulic) and they work fine as well (though there was that initial fiddling with due to it needing the pad seated and due to cable stretch)

my opinions:
hydraulic brakes probably work best in adverse conditions, but I like to wrench on my bikes and just can't make the leap of dealing with bleeding hydraulic brakes.
cable disk brakes are fine but I still prefer the simplicity of rim brakes and I generally ride in fair weather conditions.
just upgraded one of my bikes to 105 calipers and am pleasantly surprised how much better they work compared to the tiagra level calipers.
Old 01-21-23, 03:25 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by e0richt
I have 4 bikes, 2 that have rim brakes, 2 that have disk brakes...
Of course, I am keeping my rim brake bikes they work fine.
the disk brakes are cable brakes (not hydraulic) and they work fine as well (though there was that initial fiddling with due to it needing the pad seated and due to cable stretch)

my opinions:
hydraulic brakes probably work best in adverse conditions, but I like to wrench on my bikes and just can't make the leap of dealing with bleeding hydraulic brakes.
cable disk brakes are fine but I still prefer the simplicity of rim brakes and I generally ride in fair weather conditions.
just upgraded one of my bikes to 105 calipers and am pleasantly surprised how much better they work compared to the tiagra level calipers.
I think I'm about in the same boat as you, more or less. Multi bikes, discs and rims, happy with all of them, and no need to get rid of any of them just because of the brakes.

I might comment on the wrenching aspect. I do like the simplicity of the rim brakes and the comfort of knowing how to deal with them without having to look things up and/or muddle through a learning curve. But I will say that even though I kind of resented having to do it, it was good for me (age: late 60s) to have to build up two hydro disc brake bikes a couple of years ago. By the time I have to re-bleed them (maybe this summer, maybe not), I'll have to start at zero again because I never remember technical stuff (computers, bikes, engines, whatever) if I go very long between working on them. But I'll do it and learn again. Not as comfortable as mechanical bike stuff but what the heck, I was in that boat with indexed shifting, bearing pre-loads, etc, etc.
Old 01-21-23, 05:32 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 645 Posts
I am keeping my rim brakes frames and all my bikes are rim brake bikes.I don't do disc brakes or electric transmission, call me a traditionnalist.
Likes For georges1:
Old 01-21-23, 11:18 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Sure. And buying more. Where we ride, where my kid (24) races you don't need brakes so much and the lighter weight is nice. I have discs and spikes for the snow and ice riding.
On dry clean roads, I like the lighter weight and better deals on rim brakes.
Likes For Doge:
Old 01-22-23, 02:48 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
This thread made me think of a variation of the “a rim is a disc” thing.

Let say you had one of those bikes with cantilever posts and disc mounts.

The experiment would be to stop it from a set speed on a known surface with hydro discs. Then to stop it again, using Magura rim brakes.

Is there a difference in stopping distance?

Start with 140mm rotors and work up until the disc gets superior. Does it? Honest question I don’t know.

Now repeat it using panniers full of bricks.

Hydraulic because it eliminates so many variables of user error with the cables.

This of course doesn’t cover the nuance of rims wearing quicker, pad compound (either), rotor contamination, QR+disc pearl clutching, and overall “feel”. Still, some data on raw power would be pretty cool to look at.

48 pages here we come!!
Old 01-22-23, 03:32 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,678 Posts
The post you quoted reminded me of this from Charles Portis's novel True Grit:

LaBoeuf: "I guess you don't think much of me."

Rooster Cogburn: "I don't think about you at all when your mouth is shut."
Old 01-22-23, 04:02 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by georges1
I am keeping my rim brakes frames and all my bikes are rim brake bikes.I don't do disc brakes or electric transmission, call me a traditionnalist.
Any reason why you particularly like bikes from that specific decade? Genuine question, I'm curious.
Old 01-22-23, 04:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Now that this thread had reached 24 pages, has anyone come up with a definitive answer as to which braking system is better? I need to know which bike/bikes to keep.
The consensus on what type of brakes all cyclists should use has not been reached yet, The debate continues...Hopefully by 50 pages we'll have a definitive answer.
Old 01-22-23, 04:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Air brakes.
Old 01-22-23, 05:24 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 645 Posts
Any reason why you particularly like bikes from that specific decade? Genuine question, I'm curious.
I am more into late 80's early 00's quality of the steel tubing (mostlyReynolds and Deddacciai), original paint , spareparts durability and originality of the designs. As far what the designs are today there are nothing that catches my eyes except a few brands that produce lugged steel frames or fillet brazed frames with high quality steel tubing. Aluminium is too stiff for my back even though I liked older caad 3-caad4-caad5 canondale frames and trek alpha slr a road bike frames,titanium frames, the ones I tried were fine but not enough stiff.Carbon, I tried a while back a OCLV and a look KG181 not for me as well. When I have a build in plan or an upgrade of an existing build I only stick for the best. I am also going to upgrade restore my raleigh castorama maxi sports with some campy c record stuff and new wheels.

Last edited by georges1; 01-22-23 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-23-23, 10:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The post you quoted reminded me of this from Charles Portis's novel True Grit:

LaBoeuf: "I guess you don't think much of me."

Rooster Cogburn: "I don't think about you at all when your mouth is shut."
Ugarte: You despise me, don't you, Rick?
Rick: I probably would if I gave you any thought.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-23-23, 11:12 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The consensus on what type of brakes all cyclists should use has not been reached yet, The debate continues...Hopefully by 50 pages we'll have a definitive answer.
If not, maybe in the next rim vs disc thread. Or the one after that.
Old 01-23-23, 11:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
I rode a bike with disc brakes this weekend. The brakes worked really well. They slowed me when I needed to go slower, and stopped me when I needed to stop. I also rode a bike with rim brakes this weekend. The brakes worked really well. They slowed me when I needed to go slower, and stopped me when I needed to stop. I'm keeping both bikes because they're excellent bikes, and bikes are awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.