Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

The long, slow twilight of fat bikes

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

The long, slow twilight of fat bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 10:41 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
^^^ Silly 'merika ... stuck in the distance past with imperial UOM!!
Ya, but fun is the same in feet, metres, furloughs or fathoms, that's all that matters.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-14-23, 11:49 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Would you please furnish a metric example, that way I'll understand when it's fun to ride a fatbike ;-)

I had such a laugh on mine this summer, plus I just love the Jones bars, they make me smile, sorta like the whole fatbike.
Smiles and fun and on two wheels, keeps me happy and sane.
-40C = -40F so you have at least one column
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-14-23, 01:38 PM
djb

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
-40C = -40F so you have at least one column
ya, but other than 0c = 32f and 20c = 68f, I still have to think Fahrenheit numbers through slowly to try to figure it out in celcius
I can do the mph to kph easily in my brain, but the temp thing and the human height thing can be muddled--although we still tend to use feet and inches for peoples height here, colloquially anyway, as with peoples weight. A very Canadian thing, as we live with lots of crossover between metric and imperial. The temp thing less though as you really don't hear temps in F much anymore, maybe more with old folks.
Old 01-14-23, 03:54 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
ya, but other than 0c = 32f and 20c = 68f, i still have to think fahrenheit numbers through slowly to try to figure it out in celcius
i can do the mph to kph easily in my brain, but the temp thing and the human height thing can be muddled--although we still tend to use feet and inches for peoples height here, colloquially anyway, as with peoples weight. A very canadian thing, as we live with lots of crossover between metric and imperial. The temp thing less though as you really don't hear temps in f much anymore, maybe more with old folks.
f c
-40 -40
-20 -29
0 -18
20 +7
40 +4
60 +16
80 +27
100 +38
120 +49
140 +60
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-14-23, 08:45 PM
djb

Gracias
Likes For djb:
Old 01-17-23, 03:46 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Fat bikes use is obviously geographically limited - here in Central/Eastern Canada, there are more and more people riding them as the season goes on, and more people this year than last. The main hesitation people have seems to be that most of us are super psyched for XC ski season and there are only so many hours in the day and days in the week. I made the decision last year to leave my skiis in dry dock and focus on fat biking and I am enjoying myself. For people like me (avid cyclists, slightly less avid skiiers) fat bikes were the invention we were waiting for. Snowshoe trails and well-worn foot paths through the snow are now challenging and fun biking trails.

Living near a beach is also an opportunity to get the fatty out, but if you live somewhere with a year-round un-frozen beach, there are likely other non-fatbike riding opportunities that have a better reward:effort ratio.

It's admittedly pretty niche, but so are downhill bikes and track bikes - if you don't have a lift-assisted bike park or a velodrome nearby, these seem like pretty pointless machines too.

As the old saying goes, for those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they like.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-26-23, 12:23 AM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by whipnet
Maybe someone should make some "fat-ski's" haha.
I was wondering about that, because "ski bikes" exist.* Turns out that fat bike skis exist too, which is a cross between concepts. Looks like a lot of fun, and a little of both.

Review of the fat bike ski.

Last edited by dragoonO1; 01-26-23 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Ski bike TNGNT
Likes For dragoonO1:
Old 01-26-23, 08:29 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Even this subforum is just about the deadest place on BF.
Most people I know locally use their fat bikes exclusively in the winter, and the numbers keep gradually increasing. The growth isn't explosive anymore, but it certainly isn't a fad. Since the people I know only use it part of the year, they tend to buy one bike and use it for years without the temptation to upgrade. I'm still using the Moonlander I got in 2013, though I did convert it to 1x11.

IMO this subforum probably shouldn't even exist. I hardly ever check here because to me fat bikes are just bikes, if you use it on Mountain Bike trails talk about it in the Mountain Bike sub, if you commute talk about it in Commuting, if you ride in the winter talk about it in the Winter sub.
Old 01-27-23, 12:41 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I don't visit the Winter forum until it's winter and I'm cycling.

I don't visit the Advocacy forum unless I have an issue or like to contribute to somebody else's. In fact, someone last year (or earlier) was also complaining about that forum too.

And of course, because I'm riding my fat bike again, I'm in this forum to check what else is going on with other fat bikers.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-27-23, 01:03 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
I ride my fat bike year round. I just sit around in this forum all lonely until winter... hehe.

Likes For whipnet:
Old 02-05-23, 01:32 PM
Noonievut

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
First Fat ride of the season today. Rent from a guy at the trail head. I really wish our weather was conducive to winter riding more than what fees like a handful of ideal times, it is so much fun.

Last edited by Noonievut; 02-05-23 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 01:39 PM
djb

Good for you. Late in the season no? Although I just assumed you're in Nunavut.
last week I was out trying out some different tires after a snow storm, and met a couple who had rented fatbikes for the first time, but the poor saps were having a hell of a time because the bikes had way too much pressure for the day's conditions.
Old 02-05-23, 03:02 PM
Noonievut

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Good for you. Late in the season no? Although I just assumed you're in Nunavut.
last week I was out trying out some different tires after a snow storm, and met a couple who had rented fatbikes for the first time, but the poor saps were having a hell of a time because the bikes had way too much pressure for the day's conditions.
Nunavut just a nickname. If I lived there I may only ride a fat bike
Old 10-21-23, 08:49 AM
LennyAK

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
e Fat Bikes

Originally Posted by KPREN
e bike has changed the fat bike market to be quite acceptable. The electric changes the fat bike experience.

I Completely Agree With This Observation - Around N. E. PA. They Are Flying Out Of The Stores - Usually Need To Place A Deposit And Wait For A Delivery
Unless You Decide To Get An Amazon Model And There Is Still A Long Wait Time...
Old 10-25-23, 10:28 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
e bike has changed the fat bike market to be quite acceptable. The electric changes the fat bike experience. I ride mine exclusively 4,500 miles a year.
Now if I could just find someone who wanted to dump their "obsolete" non-motorized fatbike...