Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica alternate dinner at the Palazzo degli Eroi - who's in?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-29-19, 09:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts

It is a well known SoCal fact that @Classtime makes great homemade guacamole, salsa, and corn tortillas. Savor this:

Along with some Santa Maria tri-tip and possibly other meats, cerveza, vino, and no endless tables of people...a smaller, more intimiate setting. The Bridge Street Inn in Cambria will be the location. No set time, come and go as you please, bring a little sumpin' sumpin' if you will.

Trying to get a number so we can get the right amount of food, you can reply here or PM for a headcount.
Old 03-30-19, 01:06 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 484 Posts
I'm staying at a nearby airbnb house with 3 other riders plus our spouses so we'll be having our Saturday dinner over there. However, I would love to experience the ambiente di Palazzo and plan to show up along with those riders for snacking and socializing and will bring something to share if I do. Don't plan on us eating a full meal there though.

Last edited by davester; 03-30-19 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 01:13 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 271 Posts
Man, I need to start traveling with my bike!
Old 01-08-22, 12:59 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Man, I need to start traveling with my bike!
Almost three years later, I recommend getting a travel bike!
Old 01-08-22, 02:04 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Almost three years later, I recommend getting a travel bike!
Are S&S couplers Eroica compliant?
Old 01-08-22, 02:25 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by nlerner
Are S&S couplers Eroica compliant?
Rene Herse made a demountable, same idea.

Made well before the 1987 technology cutoff

But I'm pimping travel bikes to my non-PNW friends as a way to more easily participate in TdMIL, Mystery Tours, Arizona Spring Trainings, and future mini-group rides in the future.
Old 01-08-22, 02:45 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Rene Herse made a demountable, same idea.

Where do I order one of those?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-08-22, 03:41 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Or you can build your own.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-08-22, 05:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by nlerner
Where do I order one of those?
The guy that runs The Atelier might be stupid enough to try it.
Old 01-08-22, 08:04 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 643 Posts
the Demontable is interesting but it's heavy as the tube "plugs" are pretty thick. Bill Stevenson built at least 2 bikes like that as well

the Ritchey Breakaway couplers are available as a kit. Not sure if they could be back fit into an existing bike - the seat lug would be a problem.

But visually you'd never notice. S&S couplers are visually obvious.

/markp
Old 01-09-22, 12:04 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 206 Posts
You could go with a Ritchey mount at the seat tube / top tube intersection and then a z-coupler on the down tube, available via Paragon Machine Works.
Old 01-09-22, 12:35 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by mpetry912
the Demontable is interesting but it's heavy as the tube "plugs" are pretty thick. Bill Stevenson built at least 2 bikes like that as well

the Ritchey Breakaway couplers are available as a kit. Not sure if they could be back fit into an existing bike - the seat lug would be a problem.

But visually you'd never notice. S&S couplers are visually obvious.

/markp
Sure, it's heavy but it'd be Eroica compliant, which is my point.

My travel bike is a Ritchey CX Breakaway, which most people don't notice, as you stated. The kit is around $250, but it doesn't make any sense to retrofit a bike with that. The S&S coupler kit makes it fairly easy to retrofit a steel frame, but it's 3X the price for their couplers vs Ritchey.
Old 01-09-22, 07:23 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
All of my bikes are travel bikes, courtesy of EVOC.
These days the airlines don't charge any more for an EVOC style bag (or similar carry case) than they do for any other suitcase under 50 pounds.
It fits easily across the back seat of a standard size sedan or in the back of an SUV.
I can disassemble & pack/unpack and assemble in about ten minutes without having to view a video or curse at the bike.
TSA inspectors unzip one side, look inside and zip it back up without unpacking stuff.
I've used mine literally dozens of times domestically without any damage to a bike.

So, there's that.
Old 01-09-22, 09:51 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
I've been tempted to try to fit a bike with rinko bits in a standard suitcase. Anyone here tried that?
Old 01-09-22, 10:44 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I've been tempted to try to fit a bike with rinko bits in a standard suitcase. Anyone here tried that?
I know a small mixte frame will fit in an LL Bean rolling duffel, completely naked. You'd have to take the fender off the fork to get that in there too, and then MAYBE 26" wheels would fit without tires. It would be tight. I do wonder if any airline would bat an eye at an oversize-but-not-enormous suitcase just big enough for a standard frame, though. I think the problem would be finding such a case that itself didn't weigh a ton. There's still the problem for tall guys like me. I've got no chance of any suitcase with my frame in it looking normal-sized.

The guy that runs The Atelier might be stupid enough to try it.
Here's a closeup of the Herse downtube connection. I have successfully machined a copy the two mating halves with the tooth, but I don't have a picture here.

I still don't know if the originals are completely machined from round rod stock and then brazed in, or if Herse brazed a piece of keystock in the bottom half and cut/brazed-in walls for a notch in the top half. Mine are completely machined from round stock so they are heavy, but I will try to hollow them out a little bit on the lathe before I install them on a frame (My Trek??)

The top tube is just a slip-joint, with a seat binder bolt or two. Easy, that part.

Originally Posted by rccardr
All of my bikes are travel bikes, courtesy of EVOC.
These days the airlines don't charge any more for an EVOC style bag (or similar carry case) than they do for any other suitcase under 50 pounds.
It fits easily across the back seat of a standard size sedan or in the back of an SUV.
I can disassemble & pack/unpack and assemble in about ten minutes without having to view a video or curse at the bike.
TSA inspectors unzip one side, look inside and zip it back up without unpacking stuff.
I've used mine literally dozens of times domestically without any damage to a bike.

So, there's that.
That's good to hear. Whenever I do cardboard, it gets mangled. I have an Serfas "iron case" copy, and it's durable but weighs over 25lb on its own, so it's pretty hard to get the whole assembly to weigh less than 50lb unless I take a lightweight racing bike. TSA has trouble repacking and closing it as well. I assume these EVOC bags are lighter? But man, they are expensive! Are there cheaper options out there that you know of?

Last edited by scarlson; 01-09-22 at 10:51 AM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 01-09-22, 10:50 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
You could go with a Ritchey mount at the seat tube / top tube intersection and then a z-coupler on the down tube, available via Paragon Machine Works.
Neat! I did not know you could buy them retail. That's great! @gugie was telling me that S&S would only sell to framebuilders who had insurance of some sort, so if the average Joe can get ahold of these Z-couplers, why not try one out? Certainly easier and lighter weight than messing around with the Herse design. Only trouble is that their smallest size is oversized 1-1/4". Could braze in a shim though.

I saw them in person at NAHBS (the Santana tandem booth) and they were pretty impressive. In my opinion as a competent machinist, I didn't think they'd fall apart, and they aren't so heavy. Designing a travel bike, I guess I'd use one of these in the downtube and then just do a slip joint for the top tube, like Herse did.

Last edited by scarlson; 01-09-22 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-09-22, 11:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by scarlson
Neat! I did not know you could buy them retail. That's great! @gugie was telling me that S&S would only sell to framebuilders who had insurance of some sort, so if the average Joe can get ahold of these Z-couplers, why not try one out? Certainly easier and lighter weight than messing around with the Herse design. Only trouble is that their smallest size is oversized 1-1/4". Could braze in a shim though.

I saw them in person at NAHBS (the Santana tandem booth) and they were pretty impressive. In my opinion as a competent machinist, I didn't think they'd fall apart, and they aren't so heavy. Designing a travel bike, I guess I'd use one of these in the downtube and then just do a slip joint for the top tube, like Herse did.
Looks like theyre $250 each. The Ritchey kit goes for a bit more than that and includes everything.
Old 01-09-22, 12:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Twice I've flown back east on Delta a couple of times with a Trico case. With a bike in it it's heavy and oversized. As I recall it was $50 each way on the plane. Once you add up the plane tickets, food, hotels, train tix, etc., it wasn't a significant amount for the trip. Bike touring, even by credit card is a pretty inexpensive vacation. Now that I have my Ritchey Breakaway, it goes on the plane as a standard bag. I know that it technically is a bit too big, but I haven't yet had an airline charge me an oversize fee. It's pretty easy to keep the bike bag under 50 pounds.
Old 01-09-22, 12:22 PM
scarlson 

Looks like theyre $250 each. The Ritchey kit goes for a bit more than that and includes everything.
I know, I know. And it is probably a fine system! You have one and you've said you've had no trouble with it.

I am a serial frame- and component-breaker though. I want a downtube connection that is more robust in torsion!

Plus, I am a sucker for cool CNC-machined things. Knowing the time and effort (and the number of failed attempts) it would take me to setup a machine to do one of those couplers, I would totally pay $250 for one.