Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

is this fork bent?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

is this fork bent?

Old 09-02-20, 06:15 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
is this fork bent?

1: as the tittle says , is this fork bent?
2: do you think is better to replace for safety?

Old 09-02-20, 06:35 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Yes, I'd say it's bent, looks bent, and the wheel is close to the downtube.
If they are steel forks I'd straighten them, it doesn't look they kind of bike that gets extreme air much.
Go to Google and chose a straightening method of your choice.
When I was a kid, we'd fix this situation by taking the front wheel out, wraping some rags around the fork legs, jamming them through a road drain grate and heaving up on the back wheel until we were satisfied with the degree of un-bent-ness. The are much more professional ways of doing the same.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 09-02-20, 06:41 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts

Sure looks like it.
Old 09-02-20, 07:21 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
1. yes
2. yes
Likes For leob1:
Old 09-02-20, 07:35 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
If they are steel forks I'd straighten them, it doesn't look they kind of bike that gets extreme air much.
When I was a kid, we'd fix this situation by taking the front wheel out, wraping some rags around the fork legs, jamming them through a road drain grate and heaving up on the back wheel until we were satisfied with the degree of un-bent-ness. The are much more professional ways of doing the same.
Thanks! definitely i'm going to cheeck it.
in case this is aluminium is still worth to straighten up?
Old 09-02-20, 07:36 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by leob1
1. yes
2. yes
Originally Posted by dedhed
Sure looks like it.
thanks
Old 09-02-20, 08:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Thanks! definitely i'm going to cheeck it.
in case this is aluminium is still worth to straighten up?
If the fork is Aluminum it is definitely a throw-away. Aluminum does not respond well to being bent and is more prone to failure if it is.

If the fork is steel it can be straightened if the welds at the unicrown are good. The photo makes it appear there is a crack at one of the welds.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-02-20, 08:25 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
based on the welds and the shape of that fork, I believe it's steel and can be bent back. be cautious.
Old 09-02-20, 08:48 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Did you or anyone else crash it?
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-02-20, 08:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
That looks awful. I wouldn't even ride it, lest I be tempted to leave it alone. Even if it's steel I'd rather replace it than try to bend it back,
Old 09-02-20, 09:02 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
How do you all know the fork is not designed that way? That's why I asked if he or anyone crashed it. Sure it looks off, but if you perfectly centered the line dedhed drew in the headtube it would bisect the front dropouts. I'm not saying it's not bent, but I think more information is needed. OP have you tried googling the same bike? Do they look the same?
Old 09-02-20, 09:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
How do you all know the fork is not designed that way? That's why I asked if he or anyone crashed it. Sure it looks off, but if you perfectly centered the line dedhed drew in the headtube it would bisect the front dropouts. I'm not saying it's not bent, but I think more information is needed. OP have you tried googling the same bike? Do they look the same?
Not very many bicycle companies are going to make a bike with neutral or negative trail. Having the hub behind the steering axis is going to make the bike unstable and no one would make an urban bike that way.

If you look at the space between the wheel and the frame, it’s too small even for a quick handlIng road bike.

Additionally, the Atala website for their urban bikes doesn’t show any bikes with a negative trail.

Finally, the bike just looks “odd”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-02-20, 12:07 PM
CrowSeph

Did you or anyone else crash it?
that bike belong to my girlfriend , and yes she crashed around 1 year ago.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 09-02-20, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
and as Sir Isaac Newton indicated, bending it back will take a force equal to the crash velocity to bend it back..
Old 09-02-20, 01:46 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not very many bicycle companies are going to make a bike with neutral or negative trail. Having the hub behind the steering axis is going to make the bike unstable and no one would make an urban bike that way.

If you look at the space between the wheel and the frame, it’s too small even for a quick handlIng road bike.

Additionally, the Atala website for their urban bikes doesn’t show any bikes with a negative trail.

Finally, the bike just looks “odd”.
cyccomute is right - sort of.

The fork is obviously bent, and the line someone drew indicates the axle is behind the axis on which the fork steerer turns, which is not how forks are made on any bike I have seen.

But, it's not negative 'trail' that this fork has been bent into - it's negative 'rake'. Trail is the derived dimension indicating how far the bottom point on the wheel is behind the point where a line along the steering axis intersects the ground. Generally speaking, a bike with more trail will be more stable and less twitchy.

The rake of the fork is the distance the wheel axle is placed in front of the steering axis. More rake reduces the trail, which results in a 'twitchier' or less stable bike. Less rake, as the damage to this fork has caused, results in a more trail and a more stable bike, but in this case the added stability might make it so the bike is very difficult to get to turn into corners.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-02-20, 02:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mass market commodity manufacturers do not use unconventional designs for large production.

Custom build maybe.
https://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com...cognition.html

Bates Cycles 3
Old 09-02-20, 02:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Looks bent to me too. Unless it's just the camera angle of your pic, then none of the newer models on their website show the fork ends being behind the centerline of the headset. Nor do they have the fender and wheel that close to the down tube.

https://www.atala.it/prodotti/toscana-28-6v/

https://www.atala.it/en/categories/bikes/urban/

And it's aluminum. At least the frame is. The large welds should have given that away. Though on more expensive aluminum they do smaller and nicer looking welds.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I just ran a translator on the page. I'm used to seeing aluminum with those big welds on other aluminum products besides bikes. This Hi-Ten stuff is new to me.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-02-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 03:03 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Think i'm going to steel your 'when I was a kid' story just to keep it alive!
Old 09-02-20, 03:08 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Get a magnet, sticks to the fork, steel, straighten them. Doesn't stick, aluminium, you could straighten them, but it's risky, and better to find some new ones.
Old 09-02-20, 03:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
...it is impossible to diagnose a minor bend in a bicycle fork using a photograph. Major damage, sure, not a problem.
Here's an example of a picture I took of one, that looks bent in the picture, but I know is not from my own inspection.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-02-20, 03:38 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Same bike, different photo...less distortion.

Curved Images of straight Lines – What is distortion?

Old 09-02-20, 03:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...it is impossible to diagnose a minor bend in a bicycle fork using a photograph. Major damage, sure, not a problem.
Here's an example of a picture I took of one, that looks bent in the picture, but I know is not from my own inspection.
Not that hard really. If you take a straight edge and lay it along the centerline of the headtubes in both of the photos of your bike, the line passes a fair bit behind the forks' dropouts showing a reasonable amount of rake. This is apparent even on my monitor's screen.

The line dedhed added to the top picture of the OP's bike actually passes in front of the dropout and the photo's seems to have been taken pretty close to perpendicular to the frame so the perspective should be accurate.
Old 09-02-20, 05:51 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Not that hard really. If you take a straight edge and lay it along the centerline of the headtubes in both of the photos of your bike, the line passes a fair bit behind the forks' dropouts showing a reasonable amount of rake. This is apparent even on my monitor's screen.

The line dedhed added to the top picture of the OP's bike actually passes in front of the dropout and the photo's seems to have been taken pretty close to perpendicular to the frame so the perspective should be accurate.
+1. Comparing the two pictures in the same orientation with the same line

It’s pretty easy to see that the hub is behind the steer axis in the Atala.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-02-20, 05:56 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
My ER copay is $125.
New forks, about the same.

I'd probably save the worry / pain / recovery time......
Old 09-02-20, 06:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by HillRider

...did you read the link I provided on photo distortion ? It's actually pretty interesting.

You can't simply state "the photo's seems to have been taken pretty close to perpendicular to the frame so the perspective should be accurate." with any certainty, because in any given case there's not enough context on what may or may not have induced the distortion. Once more, look at both the pictures I took of the same bike (same camera, different light conditions, thus different settings.) Someone should drop that red line on my first picture, and see where it ends up.

There are a million "fork looks bent to me" posts on teh Biekforooms. Not all of them are bent. There's a very good explanation for it, whether you want to believe me or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.