Old 09-16-20, 04:31 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 321 Posts
Vintage rides in Texas

I've created a Facebook Group called Texas VeloVintage so those here in Texas who wish to ride their vintage bikes can get together and do so.

This is a fairly new group so it's still growing. The group covers the entire state, but I visualize moderators in the larger metro areas organizing vintage rides in their areas.

I've scheduled an inaugural casual vintage ride out of Waller, TX for October 3rd at 8am. Details are on the Texas VeloVintage group page.

I'm currently working with several people to get a larger, fully supported vintage ride going in the Schulenburg area for the fall of 2021 that will benefit the Houston Bicycle Museum. The museum is needing funds to find a new location after losing their lease last year. Schulenburg is central to the Houston and Austin/San Antonio areas, so could have a fair attendance.

Please join so we can get the vintage wheels rolling.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2263941277248919
Likes For Brad L:
Old 09-18-20, 10:15 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
requested to join.
Old 12-11-20, 06:58 PM
lpbllc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
What’s considered ‘vintage’?
Old 12-11-20, 08:48 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I arbitrarily choose anything before 1980 as vintage, and anything between 1980 - 1999 as classic. Soooo.... eye of the beholder I guess?!

Also Brad L while I haven’t had a chance to join y’all yet I’ve enjoyed looking at the pics from the rides so far. Hoping to join y’all soon on one of my arbitrarily vinto-classic bikes 😂
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 01-17-21, 08:19 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I arbitrarily choose anything before 1980 as vintage, and anything between 1980 - 1999 as classic. Soooo.... eye of the beholder I guess?!

Also Brad L while I haven’t had a chance to join y’all yet I’ve enjoyed looking at the pics from the rides so far. Hoping to join y’all soon on one of my arbitrarily vinto-classic bikes 😂
I like the prior to 1990 for classic classification.
If you want to get very specific, the L'Eroica rides are very popular in US and Europe and have many guidelines to all the considerations for an approved ride entry. 1987 is the cutoff year and here are more details below including clothing and accessories ...

https://eroica.cc/en/gaiole/regulati...ca-gaiole6.1.a – Heroic bikes or vintage bikes

HEROIC BIKES are all road-racing bikes built up to and including 1987, both with and without gears, such as those built in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. These bicycles most likely have a steel frame or an Alan type alluminium frame.

Regarding components, bicycles should adhere to the following general guidelines:

1. More recent bikes with gears and derailleurs must have shift levers on the down tube of the frame; exceptions include pre-1980 non indexed bar-end gear shifters;

2. Pedals must have toe clips and straps or original pedals for older bikes; quick release, clip-less pedals are not allowed;

3. Brake cables must pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the frame);

4. Wheels must have at least 32 spokes laced to a low profile rim (20 mm depth or less); rims must be of either steel, aluminium or wood;

5. Both tubular tyres and clinchers with inner tubes are allowed;

6. We invite participants to fit saddles from the same period as the bicycles, so a model of 1987 or earlier; alternatively we suggest fitting a vintage model of modern production;

7. Change of the gear ratios is allowed due to the difficulty of the ride.

Early 20th century bicycles without gears do not need to comply with the above criteria as long as they have their original components.

6.1.b – Vintage-style or modern built bikes

Vintage-style, steel framed bikes of new or recent construction with vintage look and characteristics may be used only if they are road-racing bikes assembled using vintage components or replicated parts similar to the originals, as described above.

6.1.c - Waivers and exemptions

On request, exceptions regarding the type of bicycle may be granted to participants with disabilities.

For the 46 km route, other types of vintage bicycles will be admitted, such as postman’s bikes, general working bicycles, leisure bicycles, etc.

Mountain bikes are excluded from all routes.

Any registered cyclist who arrives at the starting line or is found on the route with a bicycle that does not conform to the rules and regulations of the event will be disqualified.

6.2 – CLOTHING

Participants are strongly encouraged to wear vintage or vintage-style cycling gear, such as wool jerseys and shorts and to avoid wearing modern technical gear in a visible way. The management reserves the right to disqualify any participant whose clothing is not suitable.

6.3 – ACCESSORIES

With regard to the vintage spirit of the event, participants are invited to carefully select all their accessories, from shoes to caps and water bottles etc. The only modern cycling accessory allowed is a safety-cycling helmet, which we encourage everybody to use.
Old 01-17-21, 08:26 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by Brad L
I've created a Facebook Group called Texas VeloVintage so those here in Texas who wish to ride their vintage bikes can get together and do so.

This is a fairly new group so it's still growing. The group covers the entire state, but I visualize moderators in the larger metro areas organizing vintage rides in their areas.

I've scheduled an inaugural casual vintage ride out of Waller, TX for October 3rd at 8am. Details are on the Texas VeloVintage group page.

I'm currently working with several people to get a larger, fully supported vintage ride going in the Schulenburg area for the fall of 2021 that will benefit the Houston Bicycle Museum. The museum is needing funds to find a new location after losing their lease last year. Schulenburg is central to the Houston and Austin/San Antonio areas, so could have a fair attendance.

Please join so we can get the vintage wheels rolling.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2263941277248919
Im one of the FB members but from the DFW area.
Most of the rides have been in the Houston area and I look forward to some DFW area meetups.
I most often ride the White Rock Lake area and there are always plenty of classic riders.
In the last week I have done rides with my classic Colnago Master and C40 and Serotta.
Old 01-17-21, 11:43 AM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by joesch
I like the prior to 1990 for classic classification.
If you want to get very specific, the L'Eroica rides are very popular in US and Europe and have many guidelines to all the considerations for an approved ride entry. 1987 is the cutoff year and here are more details below including clothing and accessories ...
Originally Posted by joesch
Im one of the FB members but from the DFW area.
Most of the rides have been in the Houston area and I look forward to some DFW area meetups.
I most often ride the White Rock Lake area and there are always plenty of classic riders.
In the last week I have done rides with my classic Colnago Master and C40 and Serotta.
I'm aware of Eroica's rules, but out of inclusivity, I'm a little more open minded. Vintage bike interest in the Houston area seems to be sparse, so in order to draw as many as possible, I've opened the parameters slightly.

I've made you a moderator so hopefully you can create Texas VeloVintage events in the DFW area. If for some reason you're not able to do so on the FB page, send me the info and I'll create the event. I envision for the future, regular rides happening in the Houston, Austin, and DFW areas, and occasionally, larger events in the countryside to draw from all. If you know of other likeminded cyclists in the DFW area, please ask them to join.
Old 01-17-21, 04:45 PM
joesch

Originally Posted by Brad L
I'm aware of Eroica's rules, but out of inclusivity, I'm a little more open minded. Vintage bike interest in the Houston area seems to be sparse, so in order to draw as many as possible, I've opened the parameters slightly.

I've made you a moderator so hopefully you can create Texas VeloVintage events in the DFW area. If for some reason you're not able to do so on the FB page, send me the info and I'll create the event. I envision for the future, regular rides happening in the Houston, Austin, and DFW areas, and occasionally, larger events in the countryside to draw from all. If you know of other likeminded cyclists in the DFW area, please ask them to join.
For sure, dont want to excluded interested participants but just wanted to give some feedback on what vintage and classic means in the bike world.

I do hope to organize some DFW area classic rides this year. Austin would be a nice meetup with all the nice hills, trails, and fun spots.
Old 01-17-21, 05:21 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I'll be checking it.
Old 02-07-21, 01:18 PM
Brad L 

Here’s a photo from our rest stop of this month’s Texas VeloVintage ride near Houston. L - R: 1971 Schwinn Paramount, 1983 John Howard, 1984 Ciöcc Mockba 80, 1981 Cinelli Super Corsa, and my 1969 Colnago Super.

Last edited by Brad L; 02-08-21 at 05:33 PM.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 02-28-22, 12:03 PM
Pogliaghi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
Hello, I am a vintage race bike collector in the Austin area, I am not a FB member (and don't want to be). Hopefully any Austin event will get posted here?
Old 02-28-22, 12:27 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts

OH!!! It's Facebook only...

Too bad... Would have liked to join in...
Old 04-11-22, 03:37 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
I just requested membership

Im from Oklahoma, but a frequent traveller to Tejas

I recall reading in the Centurion Ironman thread that a few of the Ironman stalwarts were getting together to ride roughly as a group at some of the big events like the HHH , and a think that would be a neat way to form up some meet n greets as well
Old 07-04-22, 08:43 PM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by zandoval

Yes, it is a Facebook group, but you're welcome to join in. We ride the first Saturday of each month out of BikeWaller - 909 Alliance, Waller, TX. We roll out at 8am during DST and 9am in winter.

Facebook is just an easy way to post quick updates, post photos, etc.
Old 07-04-22, 08:48 PM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
Hello, I am a vintage race bike collector in the Austin area, I am not a FB member (and don't want to be). Hopefully any Austin event will get posted here?
I have a few members in the Austin area, but none have started a local ride. I'm hopeful there will be at some point.
Old 11-25-22, 07:57 AM
joesch

I notice Brad L BikeWaller rides listed on the FB page with those wonderful classic's. Good that they consistently do monthly classic rides.

I have talked with many of the classic DFW riders and most of us ride with other mixed groups, like the WR lake meetup groups or FWBA group of cow town.
Last week of mix of riders from the above two group did a Grapevine to FW ride and enjoyed brews and grub at the
Fort Worth Stockyards. We had some nice classics in this mix.

I know there are plenty of Waco and Austin classic riders so expect to see some future group rides in those areas. I just added a Schwinn Paramount P-13 1973 to my stable so would love to show off in a classic ride.

Please post any updates you'all have been involved in or ride requests.

Last edited by joesch; 11-26-22 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-29-23, 09:34 AM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
Originally Posted by zandoval

We're having a vintage tour in the Schulenburg area. I posted it on Bike Forums here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...our-texas.html
Likes For Brad L: