Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saddle and pedals: keep or remake?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 02:53 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts

I have an old vintage saddle (selle italia sprint). Is not in perfect contisions since when i got it it was full of plants and even a nest of something under it. I took with patience and i cleared , since it is white i used some bleach and other stuff to make more whitish as possible.
Now i have a few roll of synthetis leather (with a very nice texure).
(Black spots are just a bit of dust)

Is better to keep the actual conditions or make a new cover with the leather?

For the pedals , i want to clear and remove all rust possible but is kinda hard since is not a fully flat surface. The only option i think is okay is the electrolysis but this one i have the fear that will ruins the bearings....
Any solution? electrolysis? replace? or keep at the actual conditions because "they are original"?

Old 10-16-20, 03:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
I have an old vintage saddle (selle italia sprint). Is not in perfect contisions since when i got it it was full of plants and even a nest of something under it. I took with patience and i cleared , since it is white i used some bleach and other stuff to make more whitish as possible.
Now i have a few roll of synthetis leather (with a very nice texure).
(Black spots are just a bit of dust)

Is better to keep the actual conditions or make a new cover with the leather?

For the pedals , i want to clear and remove all rust possible but is kinda hard since is not a fully flat surface. The only option i think is okay is the electrolysis but this one i have the fear that will ruins the bearings....
Any solution? electrolysis? replace? or keep at the actual conditions because "they are original"?

I'm in different to the saddle but I would treat it with some kind of dressing to stave off the cracking that is already winding up.

The pedals need to be disassembled and soaked in Evapo-rust or OA, then will probably have to be wire wheeled or cleaned up with partial bad chrame showing.

You could just wire wheel them but it takes off more than you want, not just rust, the original metal suffers for it.
Old 10-16-20, 03:13 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by merziac
I'm in different to the saddle but I would treat it with some kind of dressing to stave off the cracking that is already winding up.

The pedals need to be disassembled and soaked in Evapo-rust or OA, then will probably have to be wire wheeled or cleaned up with partial bad chrame showing.

You could just wire wheel them but it takes off more than you want, not just rust, the original metal suffers for it.
This is a similar job i have done on another saddle. You mean this as dressing?
is not super-smooth but i'm pretty happy about the results.

Old 10-16-20, 03:28 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

This is a similar job i have done on another saddle. You mean this as dressing?
is not super-smooth but i'm pretty happy about the results.

Maybe, I agree it turned out good but it was suede, brushed, to begin with. The white one is hard finish so apples and oranges.

I would be careful, very clean, it might discolor the white by pulling dirt or? through the finish, start very sparingly, tiny bit at a time.

You could also take it to a shoe shop to refinish or maybe get advice.

Wait, did you put new leather on the black one?

Last edited by merziac; 10-16-20 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 04:56 PM
CrowSeph

Wait, did you put new leather on the black one?
Yep
Old 10-16-20, 05:15 PM
merziac

Yep
Well it turned out nice, I would try and condition the white one before that with some leather creme or salve.
Old 10-16-20, 08:50 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
The pedals need to be disassembled.
... and overhauled with new grease and bearings after you deal with the cosmetics.
Old 10-16-20, 09:00 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
... and overhauled with new grease and bearings after you deal with the cosmetics.
Yep, that too, especially if the innerds are ok enough.
Old 10-16-20, 09:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Nothing to add about the saddle or pedals, but I've got a question: Tomasini with one "M"? That's what I read on the seatstay cap engraving. Different builder than Irio Tommasini?

DD
Old 10-17-20, 09:22 AM
CrowSeph

Well it turned out nice, I would try and condition the white one before that with some leather creme or salve.
Next week i'm going to meet a shoe maker for some advice.
Old 10-17-20, 09:33 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Nothing to add about the saddle or pedals, but I've got a question: Tomasini with one "M"? That's what I read on the seatstay cap engraving. Different builder than Irio Tommasini?

DD
Yes , the bike is called TOMASINI.
Somewhere in the forum there is a tread with the full photo of the bike.
I bought the frame for 46$ , i think that was a good deal even since the seller were asking for 100$ as starting price. The bike was missing the handlebar and the wheels and other little parts but since i had some spare parts i decided to assemble for the eroica event.
Now i'm doing some little works to make it perfect for next year eroica (hopefully without covid).
When i'm done i'll post some updated pictures ,if you want to take a look here is FEB-2019 https://www.instagram.com/p/BuDv8uoA..._web_copy_link
Old 10-17-20, 09:34 AM
CrowSeph

Yep, that too, especially if the innerds are ok enough.
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

degreased , sandblasted and inserted new bearings with grease too. But i think im going to use the first couple since for me looks more nice with that little spike. Also because they reminds me the campy pedals.
My friend came to my house when i was inserting the bearings , and told me i should paint. Do you think is better to keep in this way? or to paint for prevent the rust formation again?
Old 10-17-20, 10:28 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
degreased , sandblasted and inserted new bearings with grease too. But i think im going to use the first couple since for me looks more nice with that little spike. Also because they reminds me the campy pedals.
My friend came to my house when i was inserting the bearings , and told me i should paint. Do you think is better to keep in this way? or to paint for prevent the rust formation again?
I know nothing about Italian bikes or equipment, so I can't judge these pedals on value. If they are very valuable, it is worth disassembling them and seeing if someone can plate them, either with zinc (cheapest) or nickel or chrome (expensive and possibly prohibited due to environmental regulation). It should be doable and this would put them back to original.

If they are not so valuable, then just spray them with some cheap silver spray paint. This will stop the rust, and they may look slightly better than sandblasted. You may be able to heat them up a little before or after painting to make the cheap spray paint cure a little better.

Another alternative is to "blue" them using a bluing compound. This usually contains selenium dioxide and is commonly used on pistols.
Or you can get a "black oxide" finish by using some other chemicals, or by letting them rust and then rubbing them down with some oxalic or phosphoric acid followed by oil.
Or you can heat them up and put them in linseed oil to get a blackened oil finish.

There are lots of choices!
Old 10-17-20, 10:34 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by scarlson
I know nothing about Italian bikes or equipment, so I can't judge these pedals on value. If they are very valuable, it is worth disassembling them and seeing if someone can plate them, either with zinc (cheapest) or nickel or chrome (expensive and possibly prohibited due to environmental regulation). It should be doable and this would put them back to original.

If they are not so valuable, then just spray them with some cheap silver spray paint. This will stop the rust, and they may look slightly better than sandblasted. You may be able to heat them up a little before or after painting to make the cheap spray paint cure a little better.

Another alternative is to "blue" them using a bluing compound. This usually contains selenium dioxide and is commonly used on pistols.
Or you can get a "black oxide" finish by using some other chemicals, or by letting them rust and then rubbing them down with some oxalic or phosphoric acid followed by oil.
Or you can heat them up and put them in linseed oil to get a blackened oil finish.

interesting , definitely i need to take a look.
Old 10-18-20, 05:44 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by scarlson

update: today i cold-coated with zinc , it was cheap and the results is very nice. Sadly the photo image do not render the real shine effect

Now , i think i can focus on the saddle now.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 10-21-20, 06:31 PM
CrowSeph

Update:
Used a white dye , fixed a bit the cracks and hand painted a new logo as the original.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 10-21-20, 07:20 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Holy crap... that's a really, really nice result on your saddle renovation.
Nice work!
Old 10-21-20, 08:50 PM
shdwfx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Really nice work! Great transformation!
Old 10-22-20, 05:15 AM
CrowSeph

thanks