Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Windsor Carrera Special?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Windsor Carrera Special?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 03:03 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Windsor Carrera Special?

Bought this for $100. I've always loved the lugs and this one looked a step above the Carrera Sport I've seen from time to time. I've looked through the catalogs and the closest comparison was a Carrera Special. The lugs look bad especially on the drive side but nothing is frozen and the rims have a small hook and high pressure tires. I haven't touched it since buying it but I suspect it'll look great when rebuilt. With the lack of safety levers, centerpull brakes and bar ends I'm a little confused on the model. Obviously it's no Pro or Comp and it maybe just be a late 70'sCarrera Sport but hopefully

there are some Windsor experts out there that wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 01-25-21, 03:13 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
wow, man. super nice find!! look forward to seeing it cleaned up and refurb'd
Old 01-25-21, 03:26 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 786 Posts
guessing with the components and SunTout GS dropouts it could just be a later edition: any date codes on any of the components? The Calif. bike license date that's visible is 1981.
Old 01-25-21, 04:04 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

Hello Cycle_Tourist,

suspect this may be a model from ~1974

here is a mfr catalogue page for the Carrera of the early 1970's (~1971) -

here is mfr. catalogue page showing the Super Carrera & and Carrera Special of 1978 -

you should be able to locate date code markings on the cycle's components. here is a guide to the markings -

https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

suggest you first check backside of SR APEX crank arms and then check portion of handlebar stem which is down inside the steerer...

---

frame's fork crown is Agrati "BRIANZA" pattrern and is item nr. 000.8038

---

will be interested to hear if your shell is 68mm Italian thread or 68mm BSC thread & and if steerer & stem are .833" or 22.2mm

early steerer/stem size was the .833

-----

Last edited by juvela; 01-25-21 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-21, 06:58 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Hello Cycle_Tourist,

suspect this may be a model from ~1974

here is a mfr catalogue page for the Carrera of the early 1970's (~1971) -

here is mfr. catalogue page showing the Super Carrera & and Carrera Special of 1978 -

you should be able to locate date code markings on the cycle's components. here is a guide to the markings -

Date of Manufacture of Bicycle Components can be used to date a bike: component dating

suggest you first check backside of SR APEX crank arms and then check portion of handlebar stem which is down inside the steerer...

---

frame's fork crown is Agrati "BRIANZA" pattrern and is item nr. 000.8038

---

will be interested to hear if your shell is 68mm Italian thread or 68mm BSC thread & and if steerer & stem are .833" or 22.2mm

early steerer/stem size was the .833

-----
Right on. Stem has a .833 stamped but no date. The crank had 76 stamped on both pieces. The bb measured 68mm and is good old BSC at least all my locking washers screw on the the left bb smoothly.

The chrome looks great. Not sure what to do about the paint though. Normally I'd just do a touch up but there's a lot of coverage. I'll clean it up and make a decision. Maybe a little spray touch up. Thoughts?
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 01-30-21, 08:01 PM
Cycle Tourist

I discovered under the paint on the bb. (wct 78). It's a little strange to have '76 cranks in a '78 bike but possible I guess. It's definitely a "special" but decals are decidedly difficult to find. The Carrera Sport's easy but no Carrera Special. Plus the head and seat tube have a large W, not the WINDSOR decal. I'm probably being too picky. Maybe I should just skip the decals. Figuring out what you have is part of the fun.
Old 01-30-21, 08:53 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Cararra Special and CarerraSport seem to be the same model.

As such, it's a heavy bike, but with Windsor-labeled alloy rims and very upright geometry, 74x74-degrees or thereabouts.

I found a black one being thrown out behind the bike shop, and rode it for a year or so before selling it. I would have kept it, but the seat tube bands were flaking off and at the time I favored a more relaxed geometry. I did somewhat regret selling it as it made for a lively ride up into the foothills.
Old 01-30-21, 08:58 PM
juvela

-----

thank you for the additional image and for the latest update

find it interesting that even though it is upmarket from the Carrera Sport it yet exhibits the plate style chainstay bridge

my guess would be that the bridge is likely Agrati since the lugset and crown are from this producer

Agrati did a plate style chainstay bridge which looks identical to the ESGE at a glance

one difference is that the ESGE is marked and the Agrati is not

suspect frame identical to Sport and the difference is in the better kitting

great to see you are moving right along with it!

if you are discussing transfers then reckon you are planning on a respray...

shall look forward to the next update

-----
Old 01-31-21, 07:16 PM
Cycle Tourist

The plate did keep the kickstand from damaging the stays so there's that. While working on the frame I saw a "Carrera Sport" logo on the top tube. The chief difference between the plain jane and the special is the lack of extension levers and the nifty cranks. You are correct. I'm going for a respray. The paints flaky and the decals are barely legible anyway. I touched up the seat lug with a file and sandpaper as it was awfully rough and unfinished and I have some red paint left over from the Super Course Mk II.
While the primer is drying I'm cleaning up the components. Everything is remarkably smoth. Even the adjustment screws in the rear dropout are finger tight. One of the screws snapped on the front derailleur clamp but I overcame that. It's about 28 lbs so it's no lightweight but it's not bad. I'll only fill my water bottle half way! 😜
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 03-06-21, 07:55 PM
Cycle Tourist

Done.

Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 03-06-21, 08:17 PM
juvela

-----

thanks very much for the update!

excellent to see that you now have her well sorted.

fine work

---

forgot to ask earlier regarding your example's pedals; they look like they may be KKT Top Run

owned a Carrera Sport model from the '73-'74 time which came through with KKT RTSF

your bicycle's chainset, pedals and saddle pillar are upgrades over the Carrera Sport of the early '70's

it's pillar was plain steel

---

minor tip on rear mech -

Maeda mounting instructions for their rear mechs recommend to adjust the angle screw such that the slant pantograph is parallel to the chainstay for optimal shifting performance

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-06-21 at 09:42 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-07-21, 08:50 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
I discovered under the paint on the bb. (wct 78). It's a little strange to have '76 cranks in a '78 bike but possible I guess. It's definitely a "special" but decals are decidedly difficult to find. The Carrera Sport's easy but no Carrera Special. Plus the head and seat tube have a large W, not the WINDSOR decal. I'm probably being too picky. Maybe I should just skip the decals. Figuring out what you have is part of the fun.
Always a possibility to have earlier parts on a newer frame, as stock comes in the older parts may not be rotated to the front of the shelve and sometimes pushed to the back of the bin.
BTW, a very nice score for 100.00, I am not sure that I would spray paint it because it will never be a match, I would repaint the whole frame....clean and wax may be the way to go.
Best, Ben
Edit...I see you did the repaint, looks great!

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 03-08-21, 10:34 AM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thanks very much for the update!

excellent to see that you now have her well sorted.

fine work

---

forgot to ask earlier regarding your example's pedals; they look like they may be KKT Top Run

owned a Carrera Sport model from the '73-'74 time which came through with KKT RTSF

your bicycle's chainset, pedals and saddle pillar are upgrades over the Carrera Sport of the early '70's

it's pillar was plain steel

---

minor tip on rear mech -

Maeda mounting instructions for their rear mechs recommend to adjust the angle screw such that the slant pantograph is parallel to the chainstay for optimal shifting performance

-----
The pedals are KKS. They say 2K Quill. Thanks for the tip on the angle screw. It helped speed my shifts. The bike fits me except the stem is a bit short. I've gotten used to various touring bikes with a more relaxed feel. Out of the saddle climbing doesn't feel quite right.
Old 03-08-21, 10:58 AM
juvela

-----

thanks for the response

in looking at the catalogue page for the two then current 1978 Carrera variants was surprised to read the saddle pillar specification of "Windsor steel" for the Carrera Special model while the Super Carrera is specified with "Windsor alloy"

the combination of a too-short stem and the handlebar end controls can create a problem for some riders of hitting their knees on the shifters when pedaling out of the saddle; probably smart to put a stem of a good extension for you on there...

if you do encounter the knee symptom it can be solved by trimming the bar's trail

mfr's 1978 catalogue page -

-----