Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

So NOW what? (vintage Raleigh content)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-12-21, 09:14 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts

I added to the years-long Raleigh Grand Prix thread over on the C&V forum ( Here )

I was moving ahead with the switch from the original steel 27” wheels to some alloy 700c wheels I had on hand when I hit a snag: the front fork is WAY narrower than 100mm. (see pic)

We’re talking like 80mm! I had read Sheldon’s pages, and threads here, about how it would be narrower, maybe 90-92, and spreading the fork a bit, but come on, man. You can see that my Dutch-made GP has Brampton track hubs and apparently a super narrow width.

Assuming this is not a distance that can be overcome by spreading (I don’t want to ride a compromised fork), I need to either
1. Stick with 27”, which will mean buying 27” tires, which aren’t a great deal these days and precludes wider tires, and also living with the heavy steel wheels.
2. Find another (cheap/free) donor Raleigh with a more normal spacing and use that fork
3. Get a new fork, which means getting a new headset (as the Raleigh is 26tpi, not 24).

Where I need help is re: option 3 (if I even want to spend the money!) on how to identify a fork and headset that would work.

Would something like this work? JIS fork
I believe what I need is a J.I.S. fork, as the only difference between that and the Raleigh is the TPI, right?
And then can I just use a regular 1” threaded headset top race and nut to mate with the new fork, but retain the Raleigh cups, or do I need to have the whole headset replaced?

Thanks for any help
Old 03-12-21, 10:14 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
I will measure when I get home, but I might have a spare (narrow) old-school high flange hub if you're interested (you'd pay postage only)? It's the style with 2 wing nuts for the 'quick release'
Old 03-12-21, 10:19 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
You will need the right sized spokes, but you could lace the old hubs to the new rims. Or have you already thrown them out?
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 03-12-21, 10:19 AM
xlbs
xlbs

Bikes: True North TI, Miyata 1000LT, Rodriguez tandem, Fontan vintage road, Sekine vintage road, Catrike recumbent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Why not rebuild the wheel to 700C using your hub?
Likes For xlbs:
Old 03-12-21, 11:00 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Originally Posted by xlbs
Why not rebuild the wheel to 700C using your hub?
Mostly cost, and because I've never done wheelbuilding before.
(I've stripped & restored metal, paint and refinished, assembled from frame up, cleaned and repacked or replaced headsets, BBs, cranks, pedals, brakes, stems, shifters, bars, tape/grips, cables, chains, front & rear ders, posts, seats, swapped hubs & freewheels, so I'm not a noob, BUT ---- I've never unlaced or built up a wheel, or even trued one.)
Old 03-12-21, 11:28 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Mostly cost, and because I've never done wheelbuilding before.
There are a lot of on-line tutorials and excellent books showing how wheel building is done. If you get appropriate rims and spokes and just relace the new rims to your current hubs, a good bike shop could complete the tensioning and truing at a relatively low cost. The needed tools are simple and low cost, basically just a properly sized spoke wrench and a screwdriver to spin the nipples in place.

BTW, have you checked to see if your brake pads will adjust the needed 4 mm lower to align with 700c rims?
Old 03-12-21, 11:40 AM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by HillRider
There are a lot of on-line tutorials and excellent books showing how wheel building is done. If you get appropriate rims and spokes and just relace the new rims to your current hubs, a good bike shop could complete the tensioning and truing at a relatively low cost. The needed tools are simple and low cost, basically just a properly sized spoke wrench and a screwdriver to spin the nipples in place.

BTW, have you checked to see if your brake pads will adjust the needed 4 mm lower to align with 700c rims?
Re: brakes, yes, they do work, just.

It hasn’t been ridden in decades, and thought I'd try it out, maybe keep it as an extra just-riding-around bike or give it to a family member, but I wanted to at least replace the wheels/tires, saddle, bars, stem, pedals with stuff I already had around that is new/newer, but that won't wreck the overall aesthetic. Then if I DIDN'T enjoy riding it in slightly-improved form, I could put it back as-was and sell it on, cleaned, and rehabbed, to someone else - lot of work, but I enjoy the learning experience and the work regardless).

It's clear to me now that I've gotta figure out whether it's a worthwhile project for me if I'm getting into additional expenses and time.

Last edited by Charliekeet; 04-05-21 at 11:52 AM.