Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody bought a new Ideale saddle?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-13-21, 09:00 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts

Has anyone bought a new Ideale saddle from the company since they were reborn a few years back? Always liked the ones that came on various bikes I've bought through the years. One of the Peugeots I purchased recently came with a pretty beat-up Ideale 42, but it's very comfortable.

Just wondering...

https://www.sellesideale.fr/en
Old 05-13-21, 09:47 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have seen the new one. The natural color model is not the same color as my first from 49 years ago but otherwise a good achievement.

not cheap, but not crazy for the effort and execution.
Old 05-13-21, 10:02 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by repechage
not cheap, but not crazy for the effort and execution.
Yeah, considering the prices I see for a used Ideale 90 "Rebour" in decent condition, not bad for about $275.
Old 05-14-21, 01:19 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 303 Posts
Yes I have.

It arrived just a couple of weeks ago. It is a wonderful saddle and more than well worth its price. The deal was also pleasant with direct contact with Katia - one of the founders, owners and makers of the new Idéale. I wanted them to make a saddle to my special order and that was no problem. Thus my saddle has no "Rebour" stamp on top of it. I wanted it plain and more in line with the earlier versions.

I own and use old Idéale saddles and I own and use new and old Brooks saddles. This new Idéale saddle surpasses them all when it comes to attention to detail. Hides are also selected according to their intended use - I am a somewhat heavy rider (nowadays) and ordered a saddle made of extra strong leather.

Even if I have yet to use the saddle I have no doubts about highly recommending it to anyone wanting a real leather saddle. Mine is to be used a lot since it is going on a expedition type touring bike I am building. More on that later this summer...

Last edited by styggno1; 05-14-21 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-14-21, 03:50 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
While I applaud these companies trying to revive the leather saddle I'm afraid they will become a relic of cycling past. I have a weird feeling that Brooks will concentrate on their Cambium line of saddles and may even discontinue leather altogether in ten years (or so) time but I hope I'm wrong. Velo-Orange have stopped carrying leather saddles in favor of their own line of whatever they are. I collect Brooks saddles and trying to stock up on some of them. Interesting to see where this is heading.
Old 05-14-21, 04:55 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Beautiful saddle though a bit out of my price range - looks like it’s worth more than most of my bikes!

To aid future generations of BFers should you ask them about their serial number scheme now so that accurate build dates can be established?
Old 05-14-21, 07:06 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by styggno1
Yes I have.

It arrived just a couple of weeks ago. It is a wonderful saddle and more than well worth its price. The deal was also pleasant with direct contact with Katia - one of the founders, owners and makers of the new Idéale. I wanted them to make a saddle to my special order and that was no problem. Thus my saddle has no "Rebour" stamp on top of it. I wanted it plain and more in line with the earlier versions.

I own and use old Idéale saddles and I own and use new and old Brooks saddles. This new Idéale saddle surpasses them all when it comes to attention to detail. Hides are also selected according to their intended use - I am a somewhat heavy rider (nowadays) and ordered a saddle made of extra strong leather.

Even if I have yet to use the saddle I have no doubts about highly recommending it to anyone wanting a real leather saddle. Mine is to be used a lot since it is going on a expedition type touring bike I am building. More on that later this summer...
Thanks, styggno1, that is beautiful!
Old 05-14-21, 10:11 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
While I applaud these companies trying to revive the leather saddle I'm afraid they will become a relic of cycling past. I have a weird feeling that Brooks will concentrate on their Cambium line of saddles and may even discontinue leather altogether in ten years (or so) time but I hope I'm wrong. Velo-Orange have stopped carrying leather saddles in favor of their own line of whatever they are. I collect Brooks saddles and trying to stock up on some of them. Interesting to see where this is heading.
Could be a sourcing issue as much as a sales volume problem.
Or, the minimum qty was just locking up too much capital.
I bought one of the leather VO examples a while ago, thinner leather with a fiber reinforcement underneath. I have to decide how to break it in, it is drum head hard.
Old 05-14-21, 11:13 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
I guess they are not going to re-introduce the aluminum-railed saddle. That said, not sure I've ever seem one on a micro-adjust seat post, just Ideale's own clamp on a straight post, unless I've missed something.

Old 05-14-21, 01:27 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
Beautiful saddle though a bit out of my price range - looks like it’s worth more than most of my bikes!

To aid future generations of BFers should you ask them about their serial number scheme now so that accurate build dates can be established?
The stamp is 21030106 and I would guess it is 21 03 0106 - and means 2021 March and saddle nr 106 (but it could be the 106: th black or other type). I ordered the saddle in March and got it in April. I will ask them but it seems likely.
Likes For styggno1:
Old 05-14-21, 05:09 PM
ReidH

Bikes: Jack Taylor Tandem, Oscar Egg Routier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
I guess they are not going to re-introduce the aluminum-railed saddle. That said, not sure I've ever seem one on a micro-adjust seat post, just Ideale's own clamp on a straight post, unless I've missed something.
Probably not, as the aluminum girder saddles are less comfortable. I have/had a TB 57 Professionnel alu girder on my Jo Routens that I have removed to save it from wear and tear. The Ideale Diagonale I use as a substitute for the TB 57 is more comfortable. Not that I had much to complain about with the TB 57.

I haven't seen a micro adjust on an alu girder saddle and I don't see how it would fit. Ideale's standard seat post clamp won't fit on the girders either.

Reid
Old 05-14-21, 05:54 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by ReidH
Probably not, as the aluminum girder saddles are less comfortable.
Any idea why? Presumed that a steel rail is more flexible? Not that I give a whit about comfort...

I haven't seen a micro adjust on an alu girder saddle and I don't see how it would fit. Ideale's standard seat post clamp won't fit on the girders either.
I agreed although for all I know someone posts a photo of an Ideale-specific post, so who knows? Maybe longer bolts and grind a regular post's brackets to fit the aluminum rails' more square profile, and set the height lower**********

Old 05-14-21, 06:05 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 1,439 Posts
I feel like I need to eat more beef to keep the leather industry supplied. I could be wrong about this, but I think I'll eat more beef anyway, just to be sure.

(And to any of my fellow PNW residents and other friends of the environment who feel like they need to respond to this comment: "Yes, I know.")
Old 05-14-21, 06:11 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Or, the minimum qty was just locking up too much capital.
A cycling friend of mine said that Covid and Brexit were affecting the sales/distribution of Brooks saddles since the leather ones are made in England but shipped to a warehouse in Italy. Also a bike shop owner near me said they haven't been able to get Brooks saddles from wherever they get them.
Old 05-14-21, 06:20 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I feel like I need to eat more beef to keep the leather industry supplied. I could be wrong about this, but I think I'll eat more beef anyway, just to be sure.
It is my professional opinion that you should definitely eat more beef. Good beef. It's the most nutrient dense, human-appropriate food there is.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 05-14-21, 06:51 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 2,600 Posts

(And to any of my fellow PNW residents and other friends of the environment who feel like they need to respond to this comment: "Yes, I know.")
I would have thought that they only sell Beyond Meat in the greater Portland area.
Old 05-14-21, 06:55 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I would have thought that they only sell Beyond Meat in the greater Portland area.
In Portland proper, that's true, and the sales associates judge you because they know that you actually want real meat. But out here in the suburbs you can still get a steak here and there.
Old 05-14-21, 08:24 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

In Portland proper, that's true, and the sales associates judge you because they know that you actually want real meat. But out here in the suburbs you can still get a steak here and there.
Well, I guess when they all start getting sick from eating their Franken-goop, they'll realize that 2.5 million years of human evolution actually means something.

Last edited by johnnyace; 05-14-21 at 10:32 PM. Reason: graphics were huge
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 05-14-21, 08:31 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Video about the new Ideale saddles It's in french but the subtitles work okay.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 05-14-21, 08:32 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Whoa! talk about thread hijack! Did we go through a fold in the space-time continuum?
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 05-14-21, 08:42 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Whoa! talk about thread hijack! Did we go through a fold in the space-time continuum?
It was the smell of a burger on the grill.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 05-14-21, 08:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Portland has a great number of vegan restaurants.
It also has a goodly amount of pork based places, such as Lardo's and the People's Pig, not to mention Killer Burger where every burger comes with bacon.
Old 05-14-21, 10:24 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Yup, I reserve the right to hijack my own thread. I get a little passionate about nutrition and movement related topics (see my signature).

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled Ideale thread.
Old 05-14-21, 10:37 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Probably not, as the aluminum girder saddles are less comfortable. I have/had a TB 57 Professionnel alu girder on my Jo Routens that I have removed to save it from wear and tear. The Ideale Diagonale I use as a substitute for the TB 57 is more comfortable. Not that I had much to complain about with the TB 57.

Reid
Hey Reid, There is a micro-adjust aluminum girder saddle. I have been told this happened after Idéale changed their lineup in the mid '60s. Here is a picture of how it is implemented.
Old 05-15-21, 06:13 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by gugie
Portland has a great number of vegan restaurants.
It also has a goodly amount of pork based places, such as Lardo's and the People's Pig, not to mention Killer Burger where every burger comes with bacon.
Mmm, Lardo.

Likes For nlerner:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.