Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

most framebuilders have machining skills as well?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 02:28 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts

I'm curious how common it is for a framebuilder to be an accomplished machinist as well; someone who is comfortable using lathe's to custom machine metal or various parts. Any idea? Seems, from the ones I've talked to (not many admittedly) that a smallish percentage are. Thanks-
Old 06-02-21, 03:47 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
My guess is that the majority are comfortable around a machine shop. Particularly as it applies to making frames and frame parts. Does that qualify as an "accomplished machinist?" Maybe not. At least to the point of being able to make a living from that alone. But most independent builders are pretty darn handy with making stuff from metal.
Old 06-02-21, 04:59 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I do not have a metal working background. I have taught myself how to weld building frames and other things. But now that I'm going deeper I'm wanting to learn how to use a mill and a lathe and will will buying something in the next few years.
Old 06-02-21, 05:06 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I just learned the other day that the head machinist in the shop at the college where I work builds frames on the side.
Old 06-02-21, 05:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I think most framebuilders are amateur machinists at best. At least that's what I see on insta
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-03-21, 05:29 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Building bike frames is an expensive business/hobby and making your own fixtures can save money, while also satisfying the desire to make your own things that brought some of us to framebuilding in the first place. I bought my mill and lathe to make it possible for me to make my own frame jig and fixtures and taught myself to make things with them. I use the mill for all of my tube mitering and I use both machines to make some frame parts, like yokes, dropouts and chainstay/seatstay bullets. I can use the machines to make the things that I need, but I wouldn't call myself a machinist.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 06-04-21, 04:19 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a machinist but I do have a small lathe and mill.

Before I had these machines I was forever restricted, held back or frustrated as I didn't have, couldn't find or couldn't afford the part or tool that I needed.

Now I can just make what I need and I really don't understand how anyone making anything manages without them !!

I have only made a handful of frames, mostly I make knives, but in both cases the machines are at least 90% used for making tools and fixtures to resolve manufacturing problems or make things quicker/easier/more accurate. So it might not be immediately obvious what you might use a lathe for but once you have one, you will be using it all the time.
Likes For mikeread:
Old 08-09-21, 12:14 PM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

Bikes: Two Rivs, and a bespoke Gugie

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
Having a lathe and a mill is really handy, even if you're not building frames but just bringing components up to snuff. I recently made my own bronze bushing inserts for a set of MAFAC RAID brake arms whose 10.0 mm bushing bores were just over that tolerance, and the "standard" inserts would have been loose. I also made my own bushing insert/removal tool.

Old 08-09-21, 12:50 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Originally Posted by BoltBreaker
Having a lathe and a mill is really handy, even if you're not building frames but just bringing components up to snuff. I recently made my own bronze bushing inserts for a set of MAFAC RAID brake arms whose 10.0 mm bushing bores were just over that tolerance, and the "standard" inserts would have been loose. I also made my own bushing insert/removal tool.

Nice work. Did you make enough extra to sell? I might be interested as I have a very squeaky set of racers.
Old 08-09-21, 01:19 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I've modded a half-dozen Mafacs using generic 8x10x10 brass bushings. Might be worth a try.
Likes For tuz:
Old 08-09-21, 01:42 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Bushings are nice, but Racers were squeaky from the factory and needed to be toed in. Take a round file to the spacer that holds the brake pad post. Look at the Rene Herse site for an example.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...e-washer-pair/

There is a bronze bushing on the floor in my storage room, I wonder if it's for Mafacs.
Old 08-09-21, 01:49 PM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

Bikes: Two Rivs, and a bespoke Gugie

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Nice work. Did you make enough extra to sell? I might be interested as I have a very squeaky set of racers.
No, just enough for this bike, with a spare in reserve. Thing is, these were turned to fit the particular set of brake arms, which were all loose with 10x10x8 bushings. They were a custom fit. What might work, if you have ability to do it, is to score (cold work) some bushings to create ridges/teeth that will bite into the arm material and create a strong enough wedge to stay secure, and not wobble. I used an arbor press but a simple vise would have worked, too.
Old 08-09-21, 02:44 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Thanks. The scoring is a good idea, I'll give that a shot.
Old 08-10-21, 06:13 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I have a Chinese minilathe on which I can just about make binder bolts, crown race seats, handlebar stem components and other odds and ends, plus a few tools. Definitely worth having although you can buy all those things from framebuilding suppliers. I made my first few frames without having one.