Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1983 Raleigh Marathon

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 12:05 PM
Mulkitez
Mulk Hogan

Bikes: Surly Straggler, Surly Karate Monkey, Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1983 Raleigh Marathon

I just grabbed a $75 dollar Raleigh from Craigslist that's in shockingly good condition. Someone has taken care of the drivetrain well over the years and it shifts so smooth. Brakes work like a dream with new brake pads. I replaced the tires, tubes, bar tape and tuned up the rear derailleur a tad. I know this bike isn't worth a ton, but in this market what should I expect to sell it for? I really was hoping to keep and ride it, but it's just too small of a frame and I won't be able to ride it.
Old 07-21-21, 06:18 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
You should be able to recover the cost of the bike plus the parts you bought. That’s likely about it.
Likes For plonz:
Old 07-21-21, 04:00 PM
rustymetal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I sold TALL frame Marathon back in May on CL here, the bike was pretty clean when I got it so it didn't take much to make it a good rider.
I gave it new bar tape, two new cables, cleaned and repacked both hubs and the bottom bracket and listed it for $300 obo. It was gone in four days for $225 to a guy who wanted to make a fixie out of it.
I don't think its selling price had much to do with the make or model, just its frame size. BIG bikes sell fast here for some reason.
I had a smaller frame version of it here at the same time in near mint condition, and it never sold. I went all the way down to $50 and got no takers I finally parted it out and got $75 for the wheels, and more than $150 out of the rest of the bike in pieces. It all sold except for the frame and fork.
To be fair, the norm around these parts is that bikes don't sell unless you give them away for $10 to $20 tops, and the department store stuff sells best.
I guess its a brand recognition thing.
Old 07-27-21, 09:14 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Totally location specific. I couldn't get $75 for it here. Hopefully your market is better!

The market here for low end vintage bikes is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.