Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Focus Paralane2 bottom Bracket / Gearbox noise

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Focus Paralane2 bottom Bracket / Gearbox noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-21, 07:37 PM
Adrian99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Focus Paralane2 bottom Bracket / Gearbox noise

Hi, I have a Focus Paralane2 9.7 with the Ultegra manual components and the Fazua Evation drive system.
So far I have done a couple of dozen rides totalling maybe 2,500km. Dry conditions only and cool to cold weather. I live in Australia and coming out of winter.
I love the bike, it goes well and I can now keep up with my ride group; something I have not been able to do for a few years (I'm 75 yo).

However on the last ride or two it has developed a noise reminiscent of dry bottom-bracket bearings in my old road bike. The cranks don't turn as freely as they used to either.

I bought the bike from a dealer 800km away during a visit. With distance and Covid-19, I can't easily take it back for a check-up. Having always done my own bike servicing
I'd prefer to investigate and fix the problem myself. There is no dealer for the make nearby and I am somewhat distrustful of the usual bike mechanic. A bit of research indicated
the gearbox uses sealed-for-life bearings needing no service, so maybe there is nothing to do about it anyway.

So my questions are:-
1. has anyone else had the problem and how was it solved?
2. how easy is it to open up the bottom-bracket / gearbox?
3. any particular tricks or traps? special tools? service manual?

Thanks in advance
Adrian

Last edited by Adrian99; 11-18-21 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 02:58 PM
Alexgrc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having the same issue, did you find a solution?
Old 01-24-23, 03:32 AM
Adrian99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Focus Paralane2 bottom bracket / gearbox noise

Hi Alex?
The noise reduced gradually over time. Eventually we came out of winter, and I think the hotter weather may have helped soften the bearing grease allowing it to flow better. Pure guesswork of course.
Eventually an electric bicycle company (that sold Fazua Evation equipped bikes) opened in Canberra. I got them to service the drive system. They said there was nothing amiss, but the bike was noticeably quieter afterwards too.
On a smooth new hot-mix road (we have one near home) dead flat and riding at 28km/h (i.e. above the 25km/h limit where the motor cuts out) I get a very slight buzzing sound. When using the motor at 23km/h on same stretch of road there is no motor noise at all.
Does that help?
Old 01-24-23, 09:23 AM
Alexgrc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrian99
Hi Alex?
The noise reduced gradually over time. Eventually we came out of winter, and I think the hotter weather may have helped soften the bearing grease allowing it to flow better. Pure guesswork of course.
Eventually an electric bicycle company (that sold Fazua Evation equipped bikes) opened in Canberra. I got them to service the drive system. They said there was nothing amiss, but the bike was noticeably quieter afterwards too.
On a smooth new hot-mix road (we have one near home) dead flat and riding at 28km/h (i.e. above the 25km/h limit where the motor cuts out) I get a very slight buzzing sound. When using the motor at 23km/h on same stretch of road there is no motor noise at all.
Does that help?
I think my situation is different. I believe the sound is coming from the pedal axis. Will try to tight em .
thanks though!
Old 08-20-23, 04:00 AM
Adrian99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noise in bottom Bracket - Focus Paralane2 9.7

So the original problem back in 2021 resolved itself and have since done around 12,000km. All OK except the odd gear adjustment.

Lately however I detected a significant clonking sound in the bottom bracket. Not metallic or grinding, more like a knocking on the frame.
I took it into the dealer who said it probably needs a new bottom bracket as these wear out after around 8,000 to 10,000 km.
Who am I to argue, but it looks like these cost many hundreds of dollars each, plus fitting costs. So is anyone able to confirm this?
What would be the normal service life?

In retrospect I should have done some more work looking for loose fittings etc.