Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Satori Serpent - Quick Seatpost Review - Saddle Setback

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 10:56 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

I noticed on both of my mountain bikes that the stock seatpost (15mm) seatback, is about 9 or 10 mm too close to the handlebars for me. I looked around on Amazon and saw the Satori Serpent with 24mm setback for $40. Didn't even hesitate to hop onto that deal. I have had a great experience with the Satori Animaris Suspension seatpost in the past.

When I got the seatpost, I noticed it felt pretty light and the aluminum they chose was very well suited to the shocks and forces a typical seatpost would encounter. There are two sturdy 5mm bolts on each side of the saddle rails to keep things in place. You might also notice the "floating" saddle rail design. This is actually to help you precisely adjust saddle tilt.

I have only taken the bike out for a brief ride, but it felt like a significant improvement over the fancy Devox seatpost I had stock on my Felt Doctrine. The ride feels smoother / more controlled, easier to control how much weight you keep in the saddle when balancing yourself or changing power transfer, but most importantly, the added setback helped me centre the saddle in the middle of the markings on the rail. All in all, very happy yet again with Satori's products and glad to have found something which perfectly addressed my setback issue.

Old 12-08-21, 03:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Good thing you only tried a "brief" ride. A saddle tilted down like that would be unrideable for any significant distance. If you decide to venture further than around the block, fix the saddle.
Old 12-08-21, 04:33 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Moisture
I noticed on both of my mountain bikes that the stock seatpost (15mm) seatback, is about 9 or 10 mm too close to the handlebars for me.
"Too close to the handlebars" is fixed with a different stem, assuming the seat is in the correct location in relationship the crankset. I've told you this before. Also, level the seat. That tilt is less extreme than some of the other pics of bikes you've posted, but get it level as a starting point.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-08-21, 06:10 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
"Too close to the handlebars" is fixed with a different stem, assuming the seat is in the correct location in relationship the crankset. I've told you this before. Also, level the seat. That tilt is less extreme than some of the other pics of bikes you've posted, but get it level as a starting point.
Don't bother. Seriously! Don't bother.
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-08-21, 08:10 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I noticed on both of my mountain bikes that the stock seatpost (15mm) seatback, is about 9 or 10 mm too close to the handlebars for me. I looked around on Amazon and saw the Satori Serpent with 24mm setback for $40. Didn't even hesitate to hop onto that deal. I have had a great experience with the Satori Animaris Suspension seatpost in the past.

When I got the seatpost, I noticed it felt pretty light and the aluminum they chose was very well suited to the shocks and forces a typical seatpost would encounter. There are two sturdy 5mm bolts on each side of the saddle rails to keep things in place. You might also notice the "floating" saddle rail design. This is actually to help you precisely adjust saddle tilt.

I have only taken the bike out for a brief ride, but it felt like a significant improvement over the fancy Devox seatpost I had stock on my Felt Doctrine. The ride feels smoother / more controlled, easier to control how much weight you keep in the saddle when balancing yourself or changing power transfer, but most importantly, the added setback helped me centre the saddle in the middle of the markings on the rail. All in all, very happy yet again with Satori's products and glad to have found something which perfectly addressed my setback issue.
This is rich, get the out...
Likes For mprince:
Old 12-10-21, 01:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
This is similar to the Velo Orange seatpost line in that the tilt and setback are interrelated. Change one and the other also changes. Really frustrating. At least on the OP's post one can get at the bolts easily. I suspect that this post has 24mm setback only with a level saddle. What with the tilt and moving the clamp to the middle of the rails, I doubt that the saddle-to-stem distance has changed much. Here's my Velo Orange post:

Sorry 'bout the non-BF format photo in my wood shop/pain cave. With the saddle all the way back on the rails and the 30mm setback, I have both KOPS and good balance. Something to do with me or the bike, don't know. I wouldn't want to have a bigger bike with less exposed post - I don't have a lot of drop as it is. It's a 52 X 52.5 c-c.
Old 12-22-21, 09:07 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Carbonfiberboy

​​​​Good point about how much setback the seatpost actually allows for with the tilt adjusted correctly. I finally got the saddle tilt dialed in correctly after angling the nose up slightly.

This seatpost is now my go two for my other two bikes, as they are all 27.2mm.

It seems as though I prefer the extra setback on practically all the bikes I ride. Stock 15mm just doesn't cut it for me and positions me awkwardly over the bottom bracket.

I can get away with it on some bikes by sliding the saddle further back on the rails, but with others such as my felt, I found myself riding with the saddle slid almost all the way back