Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Dusting off the Surly!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 07:01 PM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Dusting off the Surly!

It has been a while since I posted here (not just this forum, but this site). Long story short - about 10 years ago(maybe a little more) I started a quest to become more active and get fit. I got obsessed with cycling, lost a ton of weight, was healthy and happy - felt great. I never got to my target weight, but still the progress was apparent. I ended up taking a new job and fell out of good habits convincing myself it was only because I was too busy. That one year break turned into a multi year break. I had a very rough pretty rough bout of covid, that caused several health issues to spiral out of control - and before I knew it I was in worse shape (physical size and overall fitness) that I have ever been in. I stated eating healthy, walking, and cutting out fast food and alcohol back in October and have gotten back down to a comfortable riding weight. I've spent most of the day cleaning off my LHT I built up shortly before I quit riding. It feels great to get back on it. Not sure I trust the tubes that have sat for the past 5 years - so ordered several so I can hopefully start building back up the miles this week! This forum was very motivating for me in the past, and I hope I can keep this motivation going again!!! - I can retire in 5 years, and would like to do some touring.
Likes For kstephens:
Old 03-06-22, 07:32 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Show pics of your Surly LHT.
Old 03-06-22, 08:28 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome back to the gang!
Likes For Rage:
Old 03-06-22, 09:30 AM
kstephens

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Show pics of your Surly LHT.
This was before the break. Aside from a little dust and a few changes it is the same - it no longer has the fenders or front rack - I'll add them back if I start doing some overnight trips, or maybe just the fenders for commuting.
Old 03-06-22, 02:46 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by kstephens
This was before the break. Aside from a little dust and a few changes it is the same - it no longer has the fenders or front rack - I'll add them back if I start doing some overnight trips, or maybe just the fenders for commuting.
nice bike.....maybe we should start a Surly sub forum
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 03-06-22, 03:11 PM
257 roberts

My Surly Bridgeclub
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 03-06-22, 06:07 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Have always had a soft spot for the LHT. I never owned one but wanted one.

I settled on a frame-up build of a Cross Check around 2013. It ended up being heavier than I wanted but but was/is perfect for Chip n' Seal roads around me. Today it's my indoor trainer bike, and think I have more hours on it than any other.

TLDR: Bring on the Surlies!
Likes For Zoxe:
Old 03-06-22, 06:14 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Surly Cross Check w/ 105 components, Mavic Open Pro, circa 2015
Likes For Zoxe:
Old 03-06-22, 06:23 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
My Surly Bridgeclub
Have been eyeing the Bridge Club, this past year or so. Good-looking, and with great features.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-06-22, 11:34 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Welcome back, and all the best for your quest. I started a similar regime in January havine seen a picture of myself on NY Eve... fat and out of shape was the only way to describe it... also the result of to much boose over many years. I had got back into cycling a year or so ago, so I added walking to work, walking at lunch times and being careful with food. Limit drinking to 2 x a month, and then limited. At 63 the hangovers are unwanted, and i need to grow up.... ).

9 weeks in and im averaging about 10km a day walking, have only missed my target of 10k steps a day on 4 days since January 1st (two of them were the first and 2nd of Jan whilst hungover and making my new regime plan). So far I'm down from 102.5kg to 97kg.. so something is working, but im also seeing many other beifits... now.., I have been setting such targets since 2007, so I'm far from out of the woods, but I have started, and I do seem to have a will that was not there with much strength before.

Let us know how you progress, every success (and setback) can help the rest of us on this journey to a better shape.

Lovely bike as well, very lucky to have that stashed away.... a mate had been on a waiting list for 18 months here in Taiwan for an LHT, finally gave up and had a custom build, as the local Surly shop could not say when, (or if), it would ever arrive... crazy as this where probaly every componant is made for Surly....

Last edited by deaninkl; 03-07-22 at 11:04 PM.
Likes For deaninkl:
Old 03-11-22, 09:18 AM
kstephens

Everything on the surly has been great after the break. Tubes replaced, scrubbed clean and lubed drive everything else seemed fine. Took it for my first ride earlier this week outside of the neighborhood and was just shy of 8 miles. Everything was good aside from the cheap tektro brake pads that have dried out and were slick as the rim. I was worried at a few stops. Ordered a set of kool stop brake pads. I also loved pulling my twins around in a trailer when they were toddlers. We used to regularly go on 15-20 mile rides through farmland and check out all of the animals. To fill that void I had to order another trailer for my little westie (love that dog - got the schwinn rascal which is made for small dogs). Was hoping to get some riding in this weekend and share some pics of the set up with the dog, but living in Ky I was riding in shorts two days ago, and now it is expected to snow a couple inches and drop back down in the teens this weekend, but who knows it may be in the 90's next week.
Likes For kstephens:
Old 03-14-22, 05:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Two weeks in MT and ID in 2017.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-14-22, 08:27 AM
257 roberts

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Two weeks in MT and ID in 2017.

at my age I can only dream about those kinds of road trips..... but good dreams they are!!!
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 03-14-22, 09:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
at my age I can only dream about those kinds of road trips..... but good dreams they are!!!
Why is that? Back in 1999 I crossed the U.S. with, among people, a guy who turned 77 during the trip. When the group trip ended in ME he started riding home to the Philly suburbs. His wife finally made him stop in CT and drove there to pick him up.

Interesting guy. Originally from Canada. Before he worked as an engineer in the U.S. he had been in the RCAF and spent two years in a Nazi prison camp.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-21-22, 08:25 PM
kstephens

Crap at my age (mid/late 40's) - I struggle to keep up with the "old guys" in our group rides. No joke - the oldest guy in our group will either set the pace for the fast group or spend time rotating the lead. Granted Last week was my first group ride in about 7 years - but the same guy that was "old" 7 years ago, is still leading us all. He is a great guy and I personally find his fitness journey inspiring (he took up cycling about 20 some years ago to loose some weight. Now he is a beast.

I am retiring in about 5 years. Kids go to college that same year. I am hoping my son and daughter would like to take a cross country bike trip before they start school or after first year. I also hope to do a thru hike of the John Muir trail with them too. But honestly, when I retire, I plan on doing all the long distance tours I can, as well as thru or section hikes that I have been putting off the last 27 years.