Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bought an old Co-Motion Mule, Need Advice

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 09:20 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts

It's a beautiful bike in great condition as far as I can tell, but it came without handlebars, stem, shifters or brake levers. Everything else seems to be there. It has 700c Mavic rims and a Uniglide 6-speed cassette, Deore parts, a triple in front. Cantilever brakes.

Do these parts sound like they're original to the bike or was it built up from a frame? Does anyone know about old Co-Motions?

At this point, how can I best make it rideable in the fashion it deserves? I was thinking bar-end friction shifters on drop bars, or should I change it to 7 speed and get indexing shifters?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this. I know nothing about Uniglide or bar-end shifters. I promise to add some pictures soon.
Old 03-09-22, 10:41 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
AFAIK, CoMotion has never sold complete bikes, only framesets.
Old 03-09-22, 01:35 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
@Headpost

"its a beautiful bike in great condition"

Says you, pics or it didn't happen plz.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-09-22, 01:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by rando_couche
AFAIK, CoMotion has never sold complete bikes, only framesets.
Well they do now, pretty sure they have for a long time, many of their custom setups would require them to do the build, often with custom stems, mounts and plenty else.

https://co-motion.com/collections/bikes

They have and do build some of the best tandems and many else for a long time now.

They are a go to for custom high quality, turn key tandems, multi rider and singles including S+S coupled travel versions of all.

Their line-up and capability are nothing short of staggering.

Their is virtually nothing they won't take on.
Old 03-09-22, 01:59 PM
merziac

@Headpost

I would reach out to them.

https://co-motion.com/
Old 03-10-22, 10:39 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Well they do now, pretty sure they have for a long time, many of their custom setups would require them to do the build, often with custom stems, mounts and plenty else.

https://co-motion.com/collections/bikes

They have and do build some of the best tandems and many else for a long time now.

They are a go to for custom high quality, turn key tandems, multi rider and singles including S+S coupled travel versions of all.

Their line-up and capability are nothing short of staggering.

Their is virtually nothing they won't take on.
Well. Learn something new every day! Thanks.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 03-10-22, 12:39 PM
Headpost

Here is the bike as I bought it. I put on a stem I had just to move it around. The tires are brittle and will need to be replaced.

That's a good idea to contact Co-Motion, thanks.

A question: Does the fact that it doesn't have fittings for shifter cable adjustment barrels on the downtube mean that it was made for friction shifting?

Also, those aren't Campagnolo cranks; Unless I'm wrong they're Sakaes, or something like that, with the names rubbed off. Any idea why someone would do that? Not to sell the bike to me.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Headpost; 03-10-22 at 01:15 PM.
Likes For Headpost:
Old 03-10-22, 12:43 PM
Headpost

A few more:

Old 03-10-22, 06:15 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Headpost
Here is the bike as I bought it. I put on a stem I had just to move it around. The tires are brittle and will need to be replaced.

That's a good idea to contact Co-Motion, thanks.

A question: Does the fact that it doesn't have fittings for shifter cable adjustment barrels on the downtube mean that it was made for friction shifting?

Also, those aren't Campagnolo cranks; Unless I'm wrong they're Sakaes, or something like that, with the names rubbed off. Any idea why someone would do that? Not to sell the bike to me.

Thanks again!

Hard to say on the dust caps, its a win imo, they are desirable so...

And the crank is no slouch anyway, run with it for now at least.

You have a blank canvas, this may have been finger tip when it was built and not a bad way to go now.

There is no wrong answer here, as discussed, many of these were custom build at the start, if not they may be able to tell you what it had but it really doesn't matter now.

These are very nice, I would modernize it and ride the heck out of it and bet on it being a fantastic bike.
Old 03-10-22, 06:59 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 384 Posts
I’m not familiar with older Co-Motions but I’d guess it came with some kind of upright or flat bars and MTB style shifter, especially if the XT branded chainstay protector/shark fin is original. These would’ve come with their own barrel adjusters so the downtube stops wouldn’t need them. If I were building it, I’d first decide what type of handlebar I want and go from there with cockpit decisions. Cool bike!

Last edited by bboy314; 03-10-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-10-22, 11:00 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Sweet bike! I am picturing it with dirt drops or mustache bars with bar end shifters, but whatever you do it will be cool. If you want indexing you can always add an in-line adjuster.
Old 03-11-22, 12:04 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
That is a nice bike it would build up great with dirt drops and bar-ends.
But this is how I would build it 3x10 with SR-780 flat bar shifters and BL-780 brake levers. My Pro-tour has this setup and for a bad back and neck it is great.

Likes For bwilli88:
Old 03-11-22, 12:11 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
The crank is extremely similar to one that came with my 1991 Trek 750. SR Sakae made for Suntour XCE level components. Probably some markings on the inside of the crank arms, those didn't have outside labeling.

Downtube cable housing stops are just those made for shifting to not be on the downtube. I assume these either had mountain bike type or trekking handlebars. Thumbshifters would be my guess as to what was used then.

I like others are saying would give this a modernish makeover, it's a total beauty. Maybe would have 135mm spacing between the rear dropouts, ie mountain bike hube spacing. Great brakes btw, I think they are Suntour XC Pros which should work excellent if setup right and with good pads.

Just a cool bike.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 03-14-22, 08:14 PM
Headpost

Thanks to everyone for the compliments, advice, ideas. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but someone at Co-Motion was nice enough to get back to me so I thought I'd share their (edited) response:

Thanks for your inquiry- you’ve got yourself a very unique frame there. We made two such bikes, and “mule” was not a model name, the name was painted there by request. It was an idea a customer had for a bike that he thought of as an all purpose, pack-mule like animal. He wanted to ensure that it would fit the largest 700c tires he could find, and so we built him a frame that would do just that. Months later, he found still larger 700c tires, and talked us into building him a frame with even more tire clearance. As a result there are two of them, both featuring the Mule name on the top tube, both painted the same frog green color.

I believe these frames were built around 1990 and were sold as framesets, so the complete build was done by the original owner, however certainly Mavic rims, Deore hubs and 6 speed drivetrain would have been the norm for that time. As I recall the build had cantilever brakes and drop bars, probably with bar end (barcon) shifters.
Likes For Headpost:
Old 03-14-22, 08:43 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
…so now it’s even cooler.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 03-14-22, 09:04 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Headpost
Thanks to everyone for the compliments, advice, ideas. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but someone at Co-Motion was nice enough to get back to me so I thought I'd share their (edited) response:

Thanks for your inquiry- you’ve got yourself a very unique frame there. We made two such bikes, and “mule” was not a model name, the name was painted there by request. It was an idea a customer had for a bike that he thought of as an all purpose, pack-mule like animal. He wanted to ensure that it would fit the largest 700c tires he could find, and so we built him a frame that would do just that. Months later, he found still larger 700c tires, and talked us into building him a frame with even more tire clearance. As a result there are two of them, both featuring the Mule name on the top tube, both painted the same frog green color.

I believe these frames were built around 1990 and were sold as framesets, so the complete build was done by the original owner, however certainly Mavic rims, Deore hubs and 6 speed drivetrain would have been the norm for that time. As I recall the build had cantilever brakes and drop bars, probably with bar end (barcon) shifters.
Absolutely love it when this happens, so cool.

Tx for updating us, this is great, you can literally take this wherever you want to.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-15-22, 11:03 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Now the question becomes, just how big of tire would fit it? 1990... Didn't spesh have a 42mm touring tire? Were Hakkapilittas available then in 45?
Old 03-15-22, 08:57 PM
Headpost

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Now the question becomes, just how big of tire would fit it? 1990... Didn't spesh have a 42mm touring tire? Were Hakkapilittas available then in 45?
It may have seemed like a lot of tire clearance for back then, but now, with fat bikes and all that . . . It's really not so much. I'm guessing this was the first frame that was built, with the second one getting the more tire clearance. My guess would be that, with fenders, you couldn't go any bigger than 35s.