Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 09:30 PM
geomiko

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 48/17 | Aventon Cordoba 48/15 | Cramerotti TVT Ultra 48/13 | 2016 State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 40 Posts

Picked up this SBC Black Label last Saturday. The guy never built it up, it was too big for him. It'll be my first 'virgin' build.

Cleaning it up, I noticed a few things:

The welds are pretty fugly. The puke green color doesn't help. The bottom bracket looks pretty rough, lots of metal shavings from when the threads were tapped. Nothing that can't be cleaned up, but still not ideal. Also, there's some chipping/peeling where the head tube meets the down tube.

All in all, I can't really complain. It's an inexpensive mass produced frame, and I was able to get it for a good price. It's a 62, and measurements indicate it'll be a little roomier than my 62 Steamroller. I'll build it up with mostly spare parts and it'll be a fun beer getter.

Has anyone else built one of these up? Would love to hear any opinions.

Cheers

Old 03-31-22, 03:41 AM
Zdawg

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
62cm!? I didn't know they made people that tall!

The reviews online from state do warn about their quality control. I, too, appreciate smooth welds on an aluminium bike but I guess you can't complain for the price. If I had a big enough garden, I would buy some spray.bike and custom paint it before I build it up, who knows you might be able to come up with a cool pattern that distracts from the welds

​​
Likes For Zdawg:
Old 03-31-22, 09:49 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The welds in the photos don't look any worse than most other inexpensive aluminum frames. The track end inserts are a nice touch, and the frame decals are appropriately subtle. Just chase and/or face the BB and the head tube, which I do any time I'm building up from a frame. It'll look better with some parts on it.
Old 03-31-22, 10:14 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
You did the right thing going with the bare frame. ‘Nuff said lol.
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-01-22, 02:36 PM
geomiko

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 48/17 | Aventon Cordoba 48/15 | Cramerotti TVT Ultra 48/13 | 2016 State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Spraying with spray.bike sounds like a good idea. Never painted a frame before but seems like a fun project.

Pressed in the headset the other night. Finally able to use this Bianchi fork an old college buddy gave me. Been sitting in the closet for several years, glad it can see some daylight.

Old 04-01-22, 03:23 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by geomiko
Never painted a frame before but seems like a fun project.
Pressed in the headset the other night.
Shoulda painted it first!
Old 04-02-22, 04:57 AM
Zdawg

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

You've got some nice pictures there with the focus. Did you edit them at all? What device did you use to take them?
Old 04-02-22, 10:23 AM
geomiko

Originally Posted by Rolla
Shoulda painted it first!
True, adding parts is the wrong direction to go if I'm doing a paint job. I think I'll wait to paint, I've got most of the parts for this build already and I want to get it assembled before moving this month. The green isn't the prettiest, but I think some decals will help.

Originally Posted by Zdawg
You've got some nice pictures there with the focus. Did you edit them at all? What device did you use to take them?
Appreciate it, these were all taken with a Sony a7sii with a Sigma 18-35 1.8 lens. The first three photos of the bare frame are unedited, the last one with the fork I did some minor adjustments to in Photoshop. Just made it a little brighter and added some contrast.
Likes For geomiko:
Old 04-03-22, 02:44 AM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
[QUOTE=geomiko;22459312]True, adding parts is the wrong direction to go if I'm doing a paint job. I think I'll wait to paint, I've got most of the parts for this build already and I want to get it assembled before moving this month.

Right on. Paint is a big hassle & or expensive.

Id ride it first and see if it was a keeper.
Likes For Bianchi pc:
Old 04-04-22, 10:27 AM
geomiko

Well, I guess you either die a budget build or live long enough to Get Fancy. Was planning to use an old POS bottom bracket on this build, but couldn't pass up this Campy BB I saw at the swap meet yesterday.

Put it in last night, I'll add some cranks today or tomorrow.

Likes For geomiko:
Old 04-04-22, 06:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Well, I guess you either die a budget build or live long enough to Get Fancy. Was planning to use an old POS bottom bracket on this build, but couldn't pass up this Campy BB I saw at the swap meet yesterday.

Put it in last night, I'll add some cranks today or tomorrow.

Nice bottom bracket, but it's a road bottom bracket. You may have to play around a bit to get the chainline right.
Old 04-04-22, 08:13 PM
geomiko

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Nice bottom bracket, but it's a road bottom bracket.
True, it's not ideal. The spindle is only a millimeter longer on either side though so I don't think it'll be the end of the world. If it doesn't work, I can always put the other bottom bracket in.
Old 04-08-22, 08:58 PM
geomiko

Cranks are officially installed, we'll see how the chainline works out. Tossed some Charbon on the frame and it's really starting to look like a bike. Waiting on a seatpost, it's a 31.6 which is larger than my usual 27.2. In the meantime I'm waiting for the roads to dry out so I don't destroy these bearings on the first ride.

Old 04-09-22, 05:54 AM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
.......I'm just gonna come out and say it.

It may may not be a popular opinion but -

I kind of like the color (at least the way it looks on my screen).

& the tig welding looks alright too:-)
Likes For Bianchi pc:
Old 04-10-22, 05:21 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts

I don't pay much attention to build threads so sorry for being late here - but are you sure this looks right to you?
Old 04-10-22, 09:15 AM
geomiko

Originally Posted by Bianchi pc
I kind of like the color (at least the way it looks on my screen).
Thanks, it's definitely growing on me too.

Originally Posted by IAmSam
are you sure this looks right to you?
What looks wrong?
Likes For geomiko:
Old 04-10-22, 03:13 PM
IAmSam

Thanks, it's definitely growing on me too.

What looks wrong?
You don't see a gap between the cup and the shell, the almost completely exposed edge of the shell, or the opening at the flat?

Good luck - ride safe
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 04-11-22, 08:20 PM
Rolla

You don't see a gap between the cup and the shell, the almost completely exposed edge of the shell, or the opening at the flat?
Perfectly normal for vintage Campy Record and the like.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-12-22, 05:47 AM
IAmSam

Perfectly normal for vintage Campy Record and the like.

If you look real close you will see that unlike on the OP's bike - in your pics the cups do completely cover the edges of the shells except only the flats, which as you pointed out is to be expected, and do not have sizable openings into the BB shell as his does. Jus sayin...
Old 04-12-22, 06:58 AM
Rolla

If you look real close you will see that unlike on the OP's bike - in your pics the cups do completely cover the edges of the shells except only the flats, which as you pointed out is to be expected, and do not have sizable openings into the BB shell as his does. Jus sayin...
If the photos were all taken at the same angle, I think they'd all reveal very similar gaps. Regardless, it's not really a problem, as the shell and threads obviously accommodate the cups securely. If contamination is a concern, recall that lots of vintage steel bikes have pierced BB shells.

Old 04-12-22, 08:13 AM
IAmSam

If the photos were all taken at the same angle, I think they'd all reveal very similar gaps. Regardless, it's not really a problem, as the shell and threads obviously accommodate the cups securely. If contamination is a concern, recall that lots of vintage steel bikes have pierced BB shells.

My mentions of the visibly larger opening at the flat had nothing to do with it possibly allowing contamination into the innards of the bottom bracket - I was just using it as a "gauge" to show how mismatched the cup is to the shell. If that and the almost completely exposed BB shell edge and the noticable gap between the cup and that edge are fine with the OP, and you, then I guess we are finished here. I wouldn't want it on my bike but its not mine so I'll just wish you both good luck & safe riding...
Old 04-12-22, 01:39 PM
Rolla

If that and the almost completely exposed BB shell edge and the noticable gap between the cup and that edge are fine with the OP, and you, then I guess we are finished here.
It doesn’t matter if it’s fine with me; it’s not my bike. The OP already acknowledged in an earlier post that the BB isn’t ideal and he’s willing to replace it if necessary. I’m just saying that I wouldn’t rush out and replace it because of the gap, especially at this stage of the build.
Old 05-09-22, 10:57 PM
V3XED

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Late to the game here, but to comment on the original post...
I have the gen2 of this frame, and quality control was horrendous.

The first frame they sent me was unridable due to a majorly misaligned rear triangle.
Six months later when they got the replacement out its rear axle spacing was too wide, and had lots of small dents and finish flaws.
And like you mentioned, super grimey threads on the BB shell, had to spend a long time chasing them with a pick to get the BB threaded in.

Anyways I threw some spacers on there and made it work, rides and looks great at the end of the day but I wouldn't buy anything from them again.
And yes, they are "cheap" so I guess its a matter of you get what you pay for. Maybe not fair to expect A++ quality on $350 frameset in this day and age.
Likes For V3XED:
Old 05-13-22, 10:24 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
any updates geomiko ?

Love the color and the subtle decals. Just right. Find some fun stickers of stuff you like and smack some on the top, down, and seat tube to give it a little character and some personal touches.
Not a fan of giant dish wheels, but to each their own.
Will you be keeping the super stubby BMX style stem or was that just for testing purposes?
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 06-16-22, 09:30 PM
geomiko

Originally Posted by the sci guy
any updates?
Sorry for the delay in posts.

I had hoped to get this build done before moving across town, but I just got too busy and haven't given this bike much attention. Finally got the wifi setup at the new place and can post pics. Here's how it looks right now:

The BMX stem is mostly for a placeholder for testing purposes. I got it from an LBS in the town my parents live in, it's a fun little nod to the owner of that shop.

Anyways, I haven't ridden this thing yet, but hopefully will soon. Thanks for following along.