Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting passed by Road Bikers while on a Hybrid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 10:13 PM
Flipper_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Hi,
I've noticed that I get passed by road bikers on my comfort bike and I'm pretty sure that when I used to ride a cheap Hybrid faster than I'm going now, they were passing me then as well.

Is this the lot in life for Hybrid riders, watching these hunched over, aerodynamic, well-kitted and quiet assassins overtake with seeming ease and then build separation on limestone trails, which are my favorite haunts for non-MTB related activities?

Can it be overcome by investing in items designed to make a Hybrid act like a road bike? Willpower to ride at the edge of Zone 5 and STAY THERE? A fitness margin over the average Road Biker? Going electric?

Are there Road and Gravel bikers who are slow, relatively unmotivated or even lazy? Or really old? I suppose there could be dozens of them not passing me and I wouldn't really know it. In any case, they aren't slow enough to be passed by me unless they have a relatively slow girlfriend, are a relatively slow boyfriend, are under 14, riding a fatbike, stretching by the trail, relieving themselves deep in the woods or riding with a large family.
Old 07-07-22, 10:28 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipper_
Can it be overcome by investing in items designed to make a Hybrid act like a road bike?
Depends on how big the performance difference is, what your setup is like, the particular geometry of the hybrid, and what sort of fit the rider would require from a performance-oriented build.

Taking a bicycle wildly outside of its intended usage is sometimes possible. For example, early-1980s Stumpjumpers were designed around a cruiser-like posture, but I managed to squeeze a road fit out of this one by slamming the saddle forward on a zero-offset seatpost and careful choice of bars and stem:

I also used some of the fastest-rolling wide 26er tires available, and very versatile wide-range gearing. Overall, it's within about a kph of my skinny-tired road bikes. The gap would probably be somewhat bigger if I was running any particularly aero road builds, but still, it's fast enough that I can take it to a spirited road group ride and usually end up hanging in the same paceline.

By and large, if you're riding a hybrid that's substantially slower than a road bike would be for you, the easier (and possibly cheaper) path would be to just get a road bike. The reason I built the Stumpy the way I did is that I specifically wanted a bike that would tolerate both spirited road riding and rough steep roads in the foothills.
Old 07-07-22, 10:33 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Old 07-07-22, 10:38 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
...who are slow, relatively unmotivated or even lazy? Or really old?...
Hey Dude.... I resemble that remark...
Old 07-07-22, 11:42 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
I am far from an expert in such matters but I've always believed in the right tool for the job. If you want to hang with the road bikers, then get a road bike. If you're still slow, then you've answered the question. I don't ride my road bikes on trails for a reason.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-08-22, 12:45 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Pedal harder.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 07-08-22, 01:29 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Are there Road and Gravel bikers who are slow, relatively unmotivated or even lazy? Or really old? I suppose there could be dozens of them not passing me and I wouldn't really know it. In any case, they aren't slow enough to be passed by me unless they have a relatively slow girlfriend, are a relatively slow boyfriend, are under 14, riding a fatbike, stretching by the trail, relieving themselves deep in the woods or riding with a large family.
I often push myself to the limits on the trainer, breathing like a madman over 2 hours.

But on long solo outdoor rides, I take it slow or at least, I take it easy. After suffering for many days indoor training, I'd like to relax on outdoor rides.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-08-22, 03:43 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Former flat bar assassin here, can you post a pic of your bike? Not all hybrids are created equal and some of the more "road oriented" or "performance hybrids" are actually pretty fast. They still accelerate rather poorly but once up to speed are faster than one might think. Obviously be anal about drivechain inefficiencies like a dry chain or anything making noises. Your real disadvantage is aero, but this can be fixed in part by body position. Your handlebars are too wide, so try and get low and hold the bars closer to the stem in plane with your shoulders. Try to get your forearms at a 90 degree angle and dont let your elbows flair out.

if youre into GCN (they are shills) ollie demonstrates what im talking about at 10:06 in this video
Honestly though he could be doing a much better job, it looks like he isn't used to the bike. An even more aerodynamic position is that forearms on the bars with "puppy dog" hands that you see roadies do sometimes. Its aero, on par with a roadie in his drops, but sacrifices handling significantly. Ive experimented with homemade aerobars in an attempt to make the position safer and haven't had much sucess.
Aerobars - Imgur

Id maybe get some bar tape if you intend on doing the puppy dog position or you'll bruise your forearms.

At the end of the day I think you can push a well maintained "performance hybrid" to 90+% the efficiency of a normal road bike. Thats dependent on speed though, hybrids struggle at higher speeds due to the aero thing, you wont beat a road bike downhill even with the added weight.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-08-22 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-08-22, 04:01 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Yawn...
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 07-08-22, 04:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
When I ride my road bike I sometimes get passed by others riding road bikes. I’m ok with that.
Old 07-08-22, 05:42 AM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
I'm old, slow, and upright, but would appreciate an "On your left" or "Hold your line" before you blow past.
Likes For hevysrf:
Old 07-08-22, 05:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
News flash: riding on the MUP is not racing, no matter how much your ego says otherwise.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-08-22, 06:28 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Why the **** do people get so stressed out and butthurt about getting passed by another cyclists ??....It's definitely an ego thing
Old 07-08-22, 06:32 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
News flash: riding on the MUP is not racing, no matter how much your ego says otherwise.
Unless you're Larry. He'll be racing you whether you know it or not.
Old 07-08-22, 06:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I've noticed that I get passed by road bikers on my comfort bike and I'm pretty sure that when I used to ride a cheap Hybrid faster than I'm going now, they were passing me then as well.
I get passed by road bikers all the time, regardless of what type of bike I'm riding. Why should it bother me?

Are there Road and Gravel bikers who are slow, relatively unmotivated or even lazy?
"Anything bike racers can use to go faster, I can use so I don't have to work so hard."
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-08-22, 06:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why the **** do people get so stressed out and butthurt about getting passed by another cyclists ??....It's definitely an ego thing
agreed, happens in cars on the highway sometimes too. I try not to think about it. funny, tho it's often when I'm feeling strong & fast that someone else blows by me, seemingly w/ little effort. just have to giggle & admire their prowess
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-08-22, 06:43 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
Flipper was a GREAT show. I remember watching it on our black and white TV when I was a young buy. I guess my main question to the OP is, what is your true motivation to ride? In my younger days I used to pass other road riders. My motivation then was competitive. My motivation today is to ride for enjoyment and stay in shape. I'm just as happy now as I've ever been riding my bike.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 07-08-22, 06:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

reminds me of a time I was on a long paved trail. I had roadified a hybrid, w/ tires, saddle & drop bars. it was comfortable, I was healthy & about 15 yrs younger than I am now. at the time, a pretty efficient rider. anyway, I was passed & passed others. no big deal. but then I passed this one guy, who then caught up to me to pass me intentionally exclaiming: "I'm not gonna get passed by a hybrid, that's a hybrid, right?" as he looked at the front shock I locked out. then not long after, w/o extra effort, I passed him again

our speed is our speed. we're all built differently. he was considerably shorter than I am, maybe that had something do do w/ it as well? I have a relative that I hike/walk with sometimes. he's taller & seems to just stride faster w/ little effort, while I seem to require more effort to keep up. it's mildly annoying, but not for ego reasons, I have to work harder to keep up

at 63, the older I get, the more I get passed. sometimes have to remind myself if I can't deal w/ that, I've got to adjust my attitude

if I was in my 20s ...

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-08-22 at 08:58 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-08-22, 07:02 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by drlogik
Flipper was a GREAT show
how about Sea Hunt? gosh TV was great back then
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-08-22, 07:10 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
They are riding their ride. I am riding mine. They are riding competitive pace, I am riding "Partypace." No way your are going to find me in a paceline.

Hi,

Is this the lot in life for Hybrid riders, watching these hunched over, aerodynamic, well-kitted and quiet assassins overtake with seeming ease and then build separation on limestone trails, which are my favorite haunts for non-MTB related activities?

Can it be overcome by investing in items designed to make a Hybrid act like a road bike? Willpower to ride at the edge of Zone 5 and STAY THERE? A fitness margin over the average Road Biker? Going electric?

Likes For timdow:
Old 07-08-22, 07:25 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
how about Sea Hunt? gosh TV was great back then
Oh, I used to wake up at 07:00 to watch Sea Hunt every morning, or was it once a week, I can't remember. You're right though, TV shows, including Lassie, Gunsmoke, The Virginians, etc were all really excellent....Bonanza, and Jonny Quest!! Funny that most people have never heard of Sea Hunt, but it sure was great! Lloyd Bridges was great in that.

---
Likes For drlogik:
Old 07-08-22, 07:27 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Hey Dude.... I resemble that remark...
*raises hand*

Not really old yet, but getting there as fast as I can…
Likes For ted_major:
Old 07-08-22, 08:15 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Hi,

There is an easy solution for you - ebike.

I get passed by old ladies casually pedaling ebikes all the time.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-08-22, 08:50 AM
Flipper_

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Former flat bar assassin here, can you post a pic of your bike? Not all hybrids are created equal and some of the more "road oriented" or "performance hybrids" are actually pretty fast. They still accelerate rather poorly but once up to speed are faster than one might think. Obviously be anal about drivechain inefficiencies like a dry chain or anything making noises. Your real disadvantage is aero, but this can be fixed in part by body position. Your handlebars are too wide, so try and get low and hold the bars closer to the stem in plane with your shoulders. Try to get your forearms at a 90 degree angle and dont let your elbows flair out.

if youre into GCN (they are shills) ollie demonstrates what im talking about at 10:06 in this video vid Honestly though he could be doing a much better job, it looks like he isn't used to the bike. An even more aerodynamic position is that forearms on the bars with "puppy dog" hands that you see roadies do sometimes. Its aero, on par with a roadie in his drops, but sacrifices handling significantly. Ive experimented with homemade aerobars in an attempt to make the position safer and haven't had much sucess.
Link

Id maybe get some bar tape if you intend on doing the puppy dog position or you'll bruise your forearms.

At the end of the day I think you can push a well maintained "performance hybrid" to 90+% the efficiency of a normal road bike. Thats dependent on speed though, hybrids struggle at higher speeds due to the aero thing, you wont beat a road bike downhill even with the added weight.
TRIED TO ADD PHOTOS BUT DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POSTS YET, WILL EDIT IN MY 2013 Sirrus Sport and 2013 Spec Crossroads
Old:

Current:

Obviously, it's time for an addition. I got rid of the 2013 (maybe 14) Sirrus Sport because it had ridiculous 700X28 tires and riding it was like getting punched constantly in the groin and hands by someone holding a bike. Thinking Sirrus X, Trek Dual Sport, maybe the Sirrus 3.0. Was considering a Trek Verve but I think that Specialized Crossroads covers the times when I want to be upright and don't mind twist shifting.

I'm a bit limited by some past overuse injuries and hip surgeries so I don't think a Road bike or Gravel bike profile is in the cards but I wouldn't mind reducing handlebar width and will certainly watch the mechanicals as you mentioned. I also think that gearing is important and big steps make it tough to really get into the right cadence, looking preferentially at bikes running narrower range cassettes, ideally something in the 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 range.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think it's something that happened in my childhood, perhaps was bullied. It's also possible that I have some kind of cramping issues that are hard to diagnose and related to genetics.

Do you think I should just harden the **** up?

Last edited by Flipper_; 07-09-22 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-08-22, 08:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Oh, I used to wake up at 07:00 to watch Sea Hunt every morning, or was it once a week, I can't remember. You're right though, TV shows, including Lassie, Gunsmoke, The Virginians, etc were all really excellent....Bonanza, and Jonny Quest!! Funny that most people have never heard of Sea Hunt, but it sure was great! Lloyd Bridges was great in that.

---
I remember Sea Hunt. Jonny Quest, too, with his dog Bandit. Was not into the westerns except for Gunsmoke. Watched that pretty religiously.

Here is one for you. Korg: 70,000 B.C. Saturday mornings. Lasted only 19 episodes in '74 and '75. Burgess Meredith was the narrator.

Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.