Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Brake levers for a 7 year old

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-22, 01:18 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts

I have a 20” wheel Giant MTB for my son, but the brake levers are old and worn and stiff and terrible and too big for his hands to reach. Can anyone recommend a good set online, suitable for young kids’ hands? The bike has cantilever brakes, which appear to work fine, but I’m open to upgrading to V-brakes if they come in a package with the levers.
Old 09-03-22, 04:23 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I see that nobody with direct experience has answered your post. There are brake levers designed for a kid's shorter reach. A quick search shows Trek has them for $9.50 each and they show up as being available at local Trek stores so it must be a common item to stock. Just search on "Kid's brake levers" at https://www.trekbikes.com That's likely to be a decent quality brake handle. You can also find them on Amazon but the quality may be why they are cheaper since the Amazon ones are made of plastic .
Old 09-23-22, 01:40 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Just a thought: Remove the brake cables and see how much effort is needed to operate the levers with no cable attached. Worn brake cables can make a brake lever feel stiff