Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Installing hydraulic disc brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-04-22, 04:46 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting hydraulic disc brakes installed on my Salsa Warbird, which has internally routed cables. Can someone give me a ballpark estimate of how much the installation might be?

Dave
Old 12-04-22, 05:26 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
I would recommend you talk to the LBS that you plan on having the work done at. I could tell you it would be $10 for installation, but they may disagree.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-04-22, 05:43 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting hydraulic disc brakes installed on my Salsa Warbird, which has internally routed cables. Can someone give me a ballpark estimate of how much the installation might be?

Dave
It could be anywhere from $30-$100. If they just go on smoothy and don't require a bleed, they might charge you something like $30. If they are problematic and they need to do a bleed, on both ends, expect close to $100.
Old 12-04-22, 05:54 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Since you can't do your own work, it makes sense to ask your LBS. Internal routing is no big deal. Having old cables and housing in place makes it easy to reroute hoses.
Old 12-04-22, 06:26 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by vespasianus
It could be anywhere from $30-$100. If they just go on smoothy and don't require a bleed, they might charge you something like $30. If they are problematic and they need to do a bleed, on both ends, expect close to $100.
That doesn't sound too bad. I don't have any of the tools to do this install (no bleed kit or anything related to hydraulic). If I took the time, I could probably learn to do it, but don't feel like working with DOT fluid. In theory, what tools would I need beyond a bleed kit, maybe an olive installer or some kind of cable cutter?

Dave
Old 12-04-22, 06:43 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
if you go Shimano - their systems use mineral oil (instead of DOT fluid)
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-04-22, 07:24 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by t2p
if you go Shimano - their systems use mineral oil (instead of DOT fluid)
yeah, I've heard that. At this point I'm committed to SRAM, would be far too expensive to change a whole drivetrain.
Old 12-04-22, 08:16 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You're putting brakes on...what does that have to with the drivetrain? There are thousands of bikes out there with SRAM drivetrains and Shimano brakes. You're not committed to anything.
Old 12-04-22, 08:32 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You're putting brakes on...what does that have to with the drivetrain? There are thousands of bikes out there with SRAM drivetrains and Shimano brakes. You're not committed to anything.
So are you saying I could run GRX STI shifters?

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 12-04-22 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-05-22, 05:41 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Originally Posted by cxwrench
So can you run SRAM hydraulic brifters with Shimano hydraulic disc brake calipers?

Or are you just talking about using Shimano
hydraulic brifters and brakes with SRAM cranks, cassettes and derailleurs (I did not thing you could mix rear derailleurs).
Old 12-05-22, 05:44 AM
Skippabrazi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Since you can't do your own work, it makes sense to ask your LBS. Internal routing is no big deal. Having old cables and housing in place makes it easy to reroute hoses.

True
Old 12-05-22, 05:45 AM
Skippabrazi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bald paul
i would recommend you talk to the lbs that you plan on having the work done at. I could tell you it would be $10 for installation, but they may disagree.
$100
Old 12-05-22, 09:01 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If your bike has mechanical disc brakes now, you'll need new brake/shift levers, with hoses and calipers. That's a major expense. I've built several bikes with Force AXS hydraulic. Sram has videos that show how to do it. Hose cutters and a bleeding edge bleed kit are needed for Force. Using DOT 5.1 fluid is actually easier, since it wipes off with a damp rag. I didn't even bother with nitrile gloves. If done right, the fluid should never contact the bike frame, but if it does, just wipe off with a damp rag.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-05-22, 10:11 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
So can you run SRAM hydraulic brifters with Shimano hydraulic disc brake calipers?

Or are you just talking about using Shimano
hydraulic brifters and brakes with SRAM cranks, cassettes and derailleurs (I did not thing you could mix rear derailleurs).
My bad. If this a drop bar bike you are stuck with whatever brand your are currently using. No, you can't use Shimano SHIFTERS with SRAM drivetrain parts. A J-tec Shiftmate would probably allow it but I haven't used them for years.
Old 12-05-22, 10:39 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Hi,

Dave
what year is your bike? The current warbird has hydraulic disc brakes.
https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/road/Warbird

Did you just mean pads and rotors?
Old 12-05-22, 10:51 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
what year is your bike? The current warbird has hydraulic disc brakes.
https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/road/Warbird

Did you just mean pads and rotors?
Just because it does now, does not necessarily mean it did then. You can even buy those as a frame I believe.
Old 12-05-22, 11:42 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Possibly guilty of being a FanBoi, but Hope makes calipers that work with both Shimano and SRAM. I've not used those, but their Flat Bar setups have performed well for me even in the extreme cold that my Fat Bike sometimes sees. They list at 100 GBP and Merlin has them for just under $100 US
Old 12-05-22, 12:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I haven't looked at the current Warbird build to make sure but it's very likely the current Journeyer came up a level to replace the lowest build on the Warbird. In prior years the top Journeyman and lowest Warbird both were Apex 1 cable. But I think the highest Journeyer is now GRX 600 with hydraulic

Install aside, current hydraulic brifters are just astonishingly expensive. you want how many hundred for a syringe and a ratchet?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-05-22, 02:05 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Back to the OP's question: one of the local shops near me advertises $40 per hydraulic brake to install levers, calipers and bleed and adjust the brakes. So $80 for the set. I've also been charged around $40 per brake by other shops for bleed/adjust, so I'd expect to pay a similar amount for new install.

This price doesn't include installing rotors or doing anything to the drivetrain (if you have a mechanical drivetran and are installing new levers... you should probably also replace the shifter cables and will need to set-up/adjust both derailleurs). You'll also need to re-tape the bar.
Old 12-05-22, 02:15 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Back to the OP's question: one of the local shops near me advertises $40 per hydraulic brake to install levers, calipers and bleed and adjust the brakes. So $80 for the set. I've also been charged around $40 per brake by other shops for bleed/adjust, so I'd expect to pay a similar amount for new install.

This price doesn't include installing rotors or doing anything to the drivetrain (if you have a mechanical drivetran and are installing new levers... you should probably also replace the shifter cables and will need to set-up/adjust both derailleurs). You'll also need to re-tape the bar.
Instead of $40 front, and $40 back it should be $10 front and $70 for the back brakes. lol

I replaced my sram brakes on my Blur with four piston shimano brakes. The front was super easy. Probably 15 minutes. It was all external.

If I could walk to my LBS within 10 minutes I would pay someone $40 to do the back brakes.

It was enough of PITA to cut/barb/pull/bleed the back. ha-ha Expect I am too lazy to drive my bike to the shop ( 20 minutes one way ), wait a few days and then have to pick it up.
Old 12-05-22, 05:27 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The shop I worked in charged an extra 25 bucks for internally routed hoses. They are a PIA regardless of what others say. Front and rear install with bleed would be 140 bucks. It is billed as a two hour job. If it takes less than that then the billing is adjusted.
Old 12-05-22, 05:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would go down to the local shop and see what they charge. You can ask random people on the internet but your local shop will actually have your pricing. Every shop can have different pricing based on a lot of different factors.
Old 12-05-22, 06:31 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The shop I worked in charged an extra 25 bucks for internally routed hoses. They are a PIA regardless of what others say. Front and rear install with bleed would be 140 bucks. It is billed as a two hour job. If it takes less than that then the billing is adjusted.
I went to my local REI at lunch. As a member, they will charge $40 front and $40 rear. Looks to be a better deal than buying all the tools, though eventually I'll need a bleed kit.

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 12-05-22, 06:57 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
I recently upgraded my mountain bike with new Magura brakes. The only tools I needed were a set of Allen wrenches, a box cutter, and, for kicks, a bleed kit. The kit and he tools cost $30, installation took about 30 minutes, and I did it at the nearby park. Had I been more careful, I wouldn't have needed the bleed kit.
Old 12-06-22, 03:29 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I recently upgraded my mountain bike with new Magura brakes. The only tools I needed were a set of Allen wrenches, a box cutter, and, for kicks, a bleed kit. The kit and he tools cost $30, installation took about 30 minutes, and I did it at the nearby park. Had I been more careful, I wouldn't have needed the bleed kit.
Did your hoses come pre-filled? I see that is an option on some of the brake lever/caliper sets on the internet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.