Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Too Close for Comfort

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Too Close for Comfort

Old 12-14-22, 01:08 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I don't see a problem. The car had to negotiate both you and the large truck, and did a good job. If the car had slowed to let the truck gain some distance, this would have created a major collision risk from behind. What I will suggest is for you to plan your trips with your experience in-mind. Anticipate what traffic condidtions might present. Find another route, another time-of-day, or another mode of transportation. Most riders who are used to city riding would not give this situation any weight.
I was about to respond to each individual statement you made, but realized that if you think someone passing a slower vehicle by veering out of their lane and directly behind an even slower vehicle is "good driving", there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of talking any sense into you.
Old 12-14-22, 10:21 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I never bothered with mirrors for the same basic reason. By the time the car is close enough to make a call about an impending collision, it's too late to avoid it.
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I even stopped using a mirror because it certainly didn't tell me if any of them were going to veer into my lane... even in this case, I don't think I would have seen it in time to do anything about it.
I'm still relatively inexperienced, but this has been exactly my question regarding the Varia that so many people seem to love. I ride with a mirror, but I just don't know what I would do with the additional information a Varia would give me.
Old 12-14-22, 10:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by retswerb
I'm still relatively inexperienced, but this has been exactly my question regarding the Varia that so many people seem to love. I ride with a mirror, but I just don't know what I would do with the additional information a Varia would give me.
Just last month I happened to be riding with someone who uses one. He claims he has found it useful and that he "moves to the right" every time it alerts him, figuring it gives him a less close pass at the least. I guess that's something, but I would say that just makes you "feel" safer more than actually safer.
Old 12-14-22, 10:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts

In only started using a mirror 2 years ago, but wonder why I waited. Very useful to see if there are cars behind when I need to make a left, see where fellow riders are, etc... cheap enough.
Old 12-14-22, 10:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
In only started using a mirror 2 years ago, but wonder why I waited. Very useful to see if there are cars behind when I need to make a left, see where fellow riders are, etc... cheap enough.
Yes, mirrors are handy when needing to move or turn left. It's the only time I find myself thinking about them.

OTOH - after 50 years my neck has almost the mobility of an owls.

Among the various road skills, I consider the ability to look left, or over the shoulder, without drifting left absolutely critical.
Old 12-15-22, 01:20 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, mirrors are handy when needing to move or turn left. It's the only time I find myself thinking about them.

OTOH - after 50 years my neck has almost the mobility of an owls.

Among the various road skills, I consider the ability to look left, or over the shoulder, without drifting left absolutely critical.
A little trick I learned from racing... you can dip your head down and peek under your armpit. It won't be as clear a view as turning your head, but it will tell you if a competitor (or car) is coming up and it won't influence you to drift.

Of course, we also did drills where we had to ride an entire lap around the velodrome looking over our shoulder, so every chooses what works best for them.
Old 12-15-22, 02:26 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
A little trick I learned from racing... you can dip your head down and peek under your armpit. It won't be as clear a view as turning your head, but it will tell you if a competitor (or car) is coming up and it won't influence you to drift.

Of course, we also did drills where we had to ride an entire lap around the velodrome looking over our shoulder, so every chooses what works best for them.
I look under my arm when on the drops. Also, if I need a really good view in heavy traffic, I can take one arm off the bars and turn my whole body, while still holding my line.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-15-22, 12:33 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Speaking of too close, what about the tornadoes near Joeybike last night. You OK there??
Old 12-15-22, 02:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Speaking of too close, what about the tornadoes near Joeybike last night. You OK there??
Yeah, pretty exciting for a while there. Missed me by 7 and 20 miles. The closest one took the exact same track as the big one last year. Poor people just getting their houses back together. We had big lightning and downpours for about 30 minutes as all that passed on both sides. Not a scratch tho.

Thanks for the concern.
Old 12-15-22, 02:27 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I got my first mirror in 1988 and never looked back! (That's a joke Son!)

If I blast off to work within one minute I'm looking in my mirror on my helmet visor. If I forgot my helmet at home I'm going back immediately just for the mirror! I'm not so sure about helmets doing much good except for holding my mirror which absolutely does me good.

Speaking of mirrors and helmets, no two things are more controversial here. And when it comes to politics, religion, sexual orientation, mirrors, and helmets I pretty much mind my own business (besides the fact that I couldn't care less who votes, worships, or loves who. 100% apathy on all counts). But since you mentioned your love for mirrors I figured supporting you wouldn't hurt anything. I couldn't drive my car without mirrors either. Yeah, I'm a fellow mirror guy. Cheers!
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 12-15-22, 03:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I don't see a problem. The car had to negotiate both you and the large truck, and did a good job. If the car had slowed to let the truck gain some distance, this would have created a major collision risk from behind. What I will suggest is for you to plan your trips with your experience in-mind. Anticipate what traffic condidtions might present. Find another route, another time-of-day, or another mode of transportation. Most riders who are used to city riding would not give this situation any weight.

That's a completely illegal pass, city or country. What the hell "major collision risk from behind" could there have been? There's no one behind the car.

Sorry, but this post is idiotic and I would be appalled to see that move whether I was cycling or driving.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-21-22, 08:18 AM
bhiter010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i like your photos. really
Old 12-21-22, 10:22 AM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Agreed, and cars coming from behind are out of my control. I even stopped using a mirror because it certainly didn't tell me if any of them were going to veer into my lane... even in this case, I don't think I would have seen it in time to do anything about it.
The real point of a mirror is making it easier for you to check for traffic before you move to the right. It's mostly useless to tell if vehicles are about to run you over.
Old 12-21-22, 10:26 AM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I found myself on a 2-lane road at rush hour, bumper-to-bumper traffic at 50ish MPH,...
???
Old 12-21-22, 11:39 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The real point of a mirror is making it easier for you to check for traffic before you move to the right. It's mostly useless to tell if vehicles are about to run you over.
Makes sense. I’m flexible enough to just look over my shoulder or under my armpit, but I can see myself trying a mirror again when that gets achy.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
???
That threw me as well, but I figured it was just a misunderstanding of the term. My guess was they meant a constant stream of traffic with few or no breaks to get into.

Last edited by urbanknight; 12-21-22 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-21-22, 12:59 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 189 Posts
I ride with a mirror and Varia radar. The Varia is a relatively new addition. I find the mirror absolutely critical for me. I simply do not have the flexibility to rotate my head around and my ability to hold a line and turn my body is not that great. Also, I can glance in a mirror with much less effort and much faster than turning my head or body.

Just as in a car, having situational awareness from all sides is helpful. Will a mirror or radar allow me to dive for the ditch at the last moment if a car suddenly veers towards me? Of course not. But with a mirror, I can certainly see that a car has made an effort to move to the other lane or at least pulled further away. This is a clear sign that they have seen me. They almost always do this well before getting near me, giving me plenty of time to move as far to the side as possible if needed.

Since I use a mirror, the radar isn't nearly as important to me. But it occasionally brings my attention to a vehicle before I check my mirror. It's very much an unconscious thing now. I think the Varia radar is most useful to those that don't use a mirror. It gives them some idea that something is coming up on them.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 12-21-22, 01:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

My guess was they meant a constant stream of test fix with few or no breaks to get into.
Steady stream of commuter traffic on a narrow 2-lane highway with a 50mph limit. One-inch shoulders with a ditch beyond that. Uphill. Meaning I would be doing 7mph while cars are trying to break the 50mph limit. So they would either be trying to squeeze past me or just infuriated behind me. I crave neither scenario. And it's just rude to do that IMO.

Just because you can doesn't mean you SHOULD.
Old 12-21-22, 03:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Steady stream of commuter traffic on a narrow 2-lane highway with a 50mph limit. One-inch shoulders with a ditch beyond that. Uphill. Meaning I would be doing 7mph while cars are trying to break the 50mph limit. So they would either be trying to squeeze past me or just infuriated behind me. I crave neither scenario. And it's just rude to do that IMO.

Just because you can doesn't mean you SHOULD.
The point is “bumper to bumper traffic” generally means cars going very slow because it’s so congested. That made it confusing to readers when you said bumper to bumper traffic at 50mph.

Last edited by urbanknight; 12-21-22 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-22-22, 12:45 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

The point is “bumper to bumper traffic” generally means cars going very slow because it’s so congested. That made it confusing to readers when you said bumper to bumper traffic at 50mph.
Ah. I didn't realize the inference.

Ever drive on the freeway in Los Angeles area? Want to see "bumper to bumper" traffic do 70 mph? I have. Not literally NASCAR bumper to bumper but at 70 mph the gap between cars lasts a fraction of a second. So their bumpers are a fraction of a second apart even tho there may be two or three car lengths of space. Semantics.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 12-22-22, 06:37 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Ever drive on the freeway in Los Angeles area?.
All the time

Want to see "bumper to bumper" traffic do 70 mph? I have. Not literally NASCAR bumper to bumper but at 70 mph the gap between cars lasts a fraction of a second. So their bumpers are a fraction of a second apart even tho there may be two or three car lengths of space. Semantics.
Yeah I know exactly what you’re talking about. I don’t know if it’s residual from when the traffic is slow or just simple ignorance, but half the people don’t leave anywhere near enough of a gap when speeding along at 70.
Old 12-22-22, 09:07 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Ah. I didn't realize the inference.

Ever drive on the freeway in Los Angeles area? Want to see "bumper to bumper" traffic do 70 mph? I have. Not literally NASCAR bumper to bumper but at 70 mph the gap between cars lasts a fraction of a second. So their bumpers are a fraction of a second apart even tho there may be two or three car lengths of space. Semantics.
I've been in traffic doing over 70. come drive in San Jose, Oakland, the back way (280) from SF to SJ, and traffic is fast.
Old 12-22-22, 09:14 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I ride with a mirror and Varia radar. The Varia is a relatively new addition. I find the mirror absolutely critical for me. I simply do not have the flexibility to rotate my head around and my ability to hold a line and turn my body is not that great. Also, I can glance in a mirror with much less effort and much faster than turning my head or body.

Just as in a car, having situational awareness from all sides is helpful. Will a mirror or radar allow me to dive for the ditch at the last moment if a car suddenly veers towards me? Of course not. But with a mirror, I can certainly see that a car has made an effort to move to the other lane or at least pulled further away. This is a clear sign that they have seen me. They almost always do this well before getting near me, giving me plenty of time to move as far to the side as possible if needed.

Since I use a mirror, the radar isn't nearly as important to me. But it occasionally brings my attention to a vehicle before I check my mirror. It's very much an unconscious thing now. I think the Varia radar is most useful to those that don't use a mirror. It gives them some idea that something is coming up on them.
The real knock against a mirror is the dork factor. It's high. But most people who don't ride with a mirror underestimate the usefulness of it. I've been riding with one for the last eight years, and I couldn't imagine riding without one for just the reason you stated--that it gives me a more complete, real picture of the cars behind me. Is that useful in avoiding a rear ender? I don't know. Maybe. If there is a 1% chance it could help me evade a collision, I'll take it.

Mirror also very useful in getting into left turn lane, as well as avoid being right hooked by vehicles coming up from behind you trying to make right turn.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 12-22-22, 09:33 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
they could have waited until they both passed you before passing the truck on the right!
Yup. But that'd have inconvenienced the little blighter. Can't be having that, these days. Bless their deadly-driving hearts, each and every one.

Passing a truck on the right's one of those things that is well worth doing in order to avoid being in a blind spot with a vehicle multiple times larger than most vehicles. But heading into an occupied lane in order to accomplish the feat, putting lives at risk while doing so ... that's essentially criminal. I suspect the sheriff and/or highway patrol (whomever gets tasked with these things in the state) would be very interesting in meeting the person to discuss the documented threat he/she committed.

Strange, that so many haven't gotten "the memo" regarding people having recording devices all over the place. If for no other reason than self-preservation, one would think such idiots would keep it zipped until they're all by themselves on the roadway.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 12-22-22, 10:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
so many haven't gotten "the memo" regarding people having recording devices all over the place. If for no other reason than self-preservation, one would think such idiots would keep it zipped until they're all by themselves on the roadway.
or my back yard. yesterday I saw some suspicious characters around my condo unit, via my WYZE security camera. saw them loitering & also entering/exiting the woods behind our place. one time, one of them came back out of the woods w/o his coat on. I could see he was wearing overalls. called the management company & asked if they had ppl on the property & after they put me on hold & asked around, turns out they were painters & "probably went into the woods to take care of business" well, OK, I do the same all the time, when cycling alone in remote woodlands, not someone's backyard. so I understand, but it's not a good look for the workmen when they have many other options, like our pool house, or a nearby McDonalds, etc.

Old 12-22-22, 10:31 AM
Mtracer

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
The real knock against a mirror is the dork factor. It's high. But most people who don't ride with a mirror underestimate the usefulness of it. I've been riding with one for the last eight years, and I couldn't imagine riding without one for just the reason you stated--that it gives me a more complete, real picture of the cars behind me. Is that useful in avoiding a rear ender? I don't know. Maybe. If there is a 1% chance it could help me evade a collision, I'll take it.

Mirror also very useful in getting into left turn lane, as well as avoid being right hooked by vehicles coming up from behind you trying to make right turn.
I agree, the dork factor is likely a reason many do not consider it. I also agree that it isn't just to see traffic coming up behind you. While I think there is value in seeing the approaching traffic, if you're already riding to the side or shoulder, there's really nothing else you can do. But I find I often prefer to ride closer to traffic in the shoulder due to debris or often a drop-off of pavement. But if I see a car coming in my mirror, and it doesn't look like it will pull away from me, I'll then move far to the side to create more space.

But as you said, other things like, crossing traffic lanes to get into a left turn lane, or to simply see if a car is coming up that might right hook me.

As for dork factor, I use the type of mirror that clips onto my glasses. Pretty much maximizes dork factor. There are some glasses with a mirror integrated as well as tiny ones that stick on to the inside of glasses. I haven't tried those yet. I'm basically not that concerned about what I look like. I wear tight Lycra clothing, though I don't have the physic for it but it's more comfortable. I wear hi-viz yellow jerseys, jackets, and shoe covers in winter. I use daytime lights.

I'll do whatever I think makes me safer and more comfortable. Though I do remove the dork disc from my rear wheels. I do have some limits!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.