Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dum Commuter

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dum Commuter

Old 12-14-22, 11:07 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I used to volunteer at a bike Co op, and we had a lights and helmets program funded by the local hospital. After a while i concluded giving bike lights to someone who couldn't afford them was not effective. They generally had much bigger problems; dealing with batteries, charging, and theft was not something they needed to add to their already stressed lives. They faced much bigger threats than being hit by a car.
I have experienced the same issues here in my area volunteering for a non-profit bike organization. Safety on bikes is not on top of the list for many when commuting to work. The state of the bikes themselves often explains it as well.
Old 12-14-22, 05:43 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
camouflage bike jerseys on wooded roads. doesn't' seem to be in anyone's best interest.
Old 12-16-22, 12:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
camouflage bike jerseys on wooded roads. doesn't' seem to be in anyone's best interest.
Black and dark blue are very effective camouflage colours at night and against the background of black asphalt.
Old 12-16-22, 02:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Black and dark blue are very effective camouflage colours at night and against the background of black asphalt.
People who drive at night but don't intend to use or even equip their vehicle with lights and reflectors and depend on the color of the exterior to be seen by others should never buy black or dark blue vehicles.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-16-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 10:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
My commute is within New York City, a very dense place. I doubt people here are stupider than in other places, but encountering stupid moves is very common because encountering people is very common. I've learned to roll my eyes and forget what I see quickly. If I didn't do that, I'd be irritated all day. While this may not be the solution for you, I suggest you try it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.