Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Need a taller reach

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Need a taller reach

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 06:58 PM
Stevern

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a taller reach

I’m 6’6” just bought a 2018 Cannondale cadd fat tire bike with a lefty fork
it has high end components but need an extension
rei who sells Cannondale a says they have nothing
im getting new handlebars which will raise it 2”
any suggestions
steve
Old 12-16-22, 07:21 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
You might try an adjustable stem. Make sure you get the one that fits your new handlebar, 25.4 mm or 31.8 mm. A quick search turns up several varieties and lengths, so the longer the reach, the higher it will be if rotated towards the vertical, but that will shorten the effective reach. This may solve your bike fit issue, but it may also indicate that you need a larger size bike.
Old 12-16-22, 07:55 PM
Stevern

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
You might try an adjustable stem. Make sure you get the one that fits your new handlebar, 25.4 mm or 31.8 mm. A quick search turns up several varieties and lengths, so the longer the reach, the higher it will be if rotated towards the vertical, but that will shorten the effective reach. This may solve your bike fit issue, but it may also indicate that you need a larger size bike.
thanks- where can I find one for the lefty fork- I think that’s my issue where to find one
Old 12-16-22, 09:05 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevern
thanks- where can I find one for the lefty fork- I think that’s my issue where to find one
Sorry, I didn't realize a Lefty had a different steering tube than standard forks. Good luck with finding what you need.
Old 12-24-22, 12:43 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Dude - have you looked at other bikes? I know RSD's Mayor comes in a size built for someone you're height - I ride a large at 6' and there are two bigger sizes.

Failing that, you might be able to get a decent fit using BMX riser bars, but your reach will still be too short.
Old 01-13-23, 05:20 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
been a month now, but have you seen those steerer extension things? I forget the name of them but they are about 3 inches high, but perhaps not ideal if you still need to use a very long stem.
Old 01-13-23, 11:41 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
I pulled up a few images of the lefty "fork" and tube and do not see why it is different for bar stems. Can someone explain or show me the difference?
Old 01-14-23, 06:51 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I pulled up a few images of the lefty "fork" and tube and do not see why it is different for bar stems. Can someone explain or show me the difference?
They used to be 1.5" all the way to the top, I heard "the ocho" (latest generation) fits standard 1 1/8 stems, but can't confirm.