Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Full suspension bike suggestions for bikepacking?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22, 02:31 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

I do all my bikepacking on a gravel bike. To get further afield I am considering buying a mountain bike to tackle the tougher, more technical terrain.

anyone in this Touring forum have experience bikepacking with a MTB, full suspension or hard tail?
Old 12-28-22, 02:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
A hardtail makes some sense but full suspension just seems like not something I want for bike packing. For mountain biking sure but I really don't want to be schelping a bunch of gear with me. A hardtail gives me some suspension with plenty of room for frame bags and such and there are fork mounts for suspension forks should you want weight on them. Plus a rear shock is just another thing to have to deal with.

I know there are people who have done it but I would rather just have a nice hardtail. My Salsa Timberjack Ti is perfect as a bike packing rig though I haven't really used it for that just for mountain biking but I have a full frame bag (mainly used for set up so I could carry tools and shock pump and such and because it was on a deep sale and was designed for the bike)

This might be of some help:
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/full-suspension/

They generally have good gear reviews and breakdowns on some peoples bikes and kit which I always appreciate.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-28-22, 04:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Plus a rear shock is just another thing to have to deal.
IIRC, ACA recommends not using a full suspension bike for the GDMBR for this very reason.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-28-22, 11:13 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
There is also the consideration of baggage. You cannot fit a frame bag, you need specialized racks, if you have a dropper seat post, no saddle bag.
Even if you solve the baggage problem, I don't think you'll be whizzing down a single track with luggage
If you really want rear suspension, IMO, the best option is a hard tail with a suspension seat post
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-28-22, 11:44 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I bikepack on a Moots YBBeat. It’s a soft tail that has 1.5” of travel on the rear. It’s just enough to take the edge off hits but doesn’t have any pivots to worry about. My packing varies from trip to trip but the bike is the same.

Here it is in all its naked glory. I had rack mounts added to the bike as they usually didn’t come with them.

There are several variations of this kind of rear suspension from the mid to late 90s. Mine is a 1998 but there are other soft tails to look at. Moots still makes the Mountaineer YBB but they are quite expensive for just the frame…north of $8000

Another dually I’d consider is a Specialized Epic. I haven’t used one for bikepacking yet but I have one in Arizona that I’m going to try in February. It has the Brain rear suspension that is rigid while you pedal and opens up when it hits something. Very nice for climbing and the rear suspension isn’t always “inch worming” like more active suspensions.

This bike is missing the rear rack, of course but there now several rack attachments that could be used.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 12-28-22 at 11:52 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-29-22, 11:15 AM
RayLee

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Have a look at Giant Bikes, they were the only FS bikes I could find with large front triangles anymore.

After so many thousands of miles on full suspension bikes mountain biking (parks, jumps, drops) and only ever having one shock fail making the bike unridable I would have no trouble with using one bike packing (depending on the length and how often I would need so much bike)

I looked into this and ultimately for ME I figured I would not need so much bike for 98% of what I will ever ride.
Likes For RayLee:
Old 12-29-22, 11:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Here is a photo gallery of some of the bikes on the Tour Divide. Almost none with full suspension, but a few have rear suspention, thus you could check them out if you want.
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2022-t...e-rigs-part-1/
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 12-29-22, 02:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Here is a photo gallery of some of the bikes on the Tour Divide. Almost none with full suspension, but a few have rear suspention, thus you could check them out if you want.
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2022-t...e-rigs-part-1/
Rare but not unknown. There are 3 duallies and a whole bunch of front suspension bikes in that list. However, rbrides doesn’t seem to be asking about the Tour Divide. Just because someone participates in a race…even a long one like the Tour Divide…doesn’t make them an expert on bikepacking for those of us who are mere mortals.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
IIRC, ACA recommends not using a full suspension bike for the GDMBR for this very reason.
I think your memory is a bit faulty. In the article titled Gear for the Great Divide, Aaron Teasdale says:

​​​​​​​Your bike choice boils down to a question of comfort and how committed you are to maintaining it. People do ride the route on fully rigid bikes, usually cyclocross or rugged touring bikes, so it's certainly possible and I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it. 2,700 miles is a lot of dirt road, however, and the vast majority of riders will be more comfortable on a mountain bike with front suspension. Some sections of the route are quite rough and others feature extended washboard (the bane of dirt cyclists everywhere) — all doable without suspension, of course, but if you want to enjoy yourself, ride with a front shock. If comfort is your priority, a full-suspension bike is a good choice. The added complexity means one more thing to possibly break, but there are plenty of bike shops along the way and nothing makes washboard tolerable like a plush rear shock. I've had good luck touring over the years with a Santa Cruz Blur, both with a BOB trailer and Old Man Mountain racks. Though I prefer a hardtail with a cushy seatpost on dirt roads for its simplicity and efficiency, lots of people happily ride the route with full-suspension.
Hardly saying “don’t use a dual suspension” for the Great Divide.

But, again, rbbikes isn’t necessarily asking about that long of a trip.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-30-22, 06:00 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

And, I’m definitely not racing. (Like many whose rigs are pictured in BPDC’s feature). An enjoyable week in the wilderness is all I’m after. Hard tail or full suspension both have their +/-

thanks for contributing.
Old 12-30-22, 06:05 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Thanks all for the input.

grist for the mill as I prepare for some more adventuresome BP trips in ‘23.
Old 01-07-23, 07:55 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I think a hardtail is more versatile. If you need to take the edge off, something like Cane Creek EE Silk suspension post is nice. Or if you're planning to use a dropper post then getting a hardtail with rear rack mounts might be nice.
Likes For niknak: