Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Jagwire cables on internal cable routing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-31-22, 03:48 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts

Hello, since my bike shifting performance became really poor and I'm thinking to change cable housing.

i'm interested to buy jagwire types also called fish bone or aluminum cable housing.

But before buy i was thinking if that types of cable will be suitable for internal routing cables.
The shape is different and maybe the installation will be problematic when I have to insert into the frame
Has anyone used them on a frame internal route cables?
Are they really worth the price?

I also must add that i have to install on my MTB, usually that bike take a loot of mud,dirt and dust and i clean it with the water hose... That's why the shifting performance became poor almost every 6.000kms... That's the main reason why the jagwire one must be more durable since the PTFE does not suffer from internal oxidation.

Have a good year
Old 12-31-22, 03:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
But before buy i was thinking if that types of cable will be suitable for internal routing cables.
Are you sure the housing actually goes through the frame? Some bikes have this but it's more common to have cable stops at the penetrations and bare cables inside the frame.
Old 12-31-22, 04:00 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Are you sure the housing actually goes through the frame? Some bikes have this but it's more common to have cable stops at the penetrations and bare cables inside the frame.
That's a good question, i think they are fully internal but not 100% sure.
On the website the only details i can see is the text "StraightShot internal cable routing". (Cannondale Trail 5 2021)
Old 12-31-22, 04:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
That's a good question, i think they are fully internal but not 100% sure.
On the website the only details i can see is the text "StraightShot internal cable routing". (Cannondale Trail 5 2021)
It should be pretty obvious with a close inspection. If the housing goes all the way through you can probably pull it a little bit and be sure. Like below. If you have this, you just need to make sure the housing isn't too big for the penetration.

If there's a stop, there will be a ferrule where the housing is cut, like below. If you have this, there shouldn't be any issue with any kind of cutable housing.
Old 12-31-22, 04:36 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
I haven't noticed that Jagwire is any better or worse than other brands in regards to internal routing cables or housing.

The biggest differences you'll find is the grade of housing & grade of cable. Unlined housing & zinc coated cables are the lowest quality.

Teflon coating seems like a good idea but the Teflon flakes off or bunches up. Other coatings can be similar. It just doesn't pan-out as well as die-drawn stainless steel IMO.

In terms of housing, it's hard to do better than Or LEX-SL for shifting or compressionless kevlar reinforced KEB-SL for mechanical braking. Be aware with KEB-SL: depending on the tightness of the bends a small noodle of coiled housing may be necessary to prevent binding of the cable inside the housing.

I don't have any experience with their links system. After getting word that after a time Jagwire's system squeaks "& it'll drive you buggers," I instead went with a competing brand, Aican. I have had generally good experience with it. Not that I claim to definitively know any difference between the 2 competitors; only that Aican seems to work well enough for my purposes. Thus far I have noted no squeaks.

I also am using the matching aluminum core shift cables that came with the Aican housing. I can't say that I'm impressed. Every ride or 3 requires a turn of the barrel adjuster. Whether or not this is the cables stretching or the hundreds of housing links seating, I'm not sure. I would think the Jagwire links would have the same issue. I'd be interested if anyone else has had similar experience.

In any case, I have a set of KCNC Tiwer 6-4 Titanium shift cables on ready standby.

——————————

Regarding your shifting becoming junky after 6000km: It's not uncommon for any shift cable to fray inside the shifter with that much use. Especially with the routing that runs everything under the bar tape. I wouldn't think too much on it. Consider cable replacement to simply be an aspect of basic maintenance; The cost of ownership.

Last edited by base2; 12-31-22 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-31-22, 04:43 PM
CrowSeph

Thanks for all the information.
Old 12-31-22, 05:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
I believe you are talking about the Jagwire Elite Link set? Never heard fishbone, my friend and fellow mechanic calls it "the beads". Anywho it doesn't do well at full length because it takes.a lot to do it. I had tried to do it on my fixed gear and it didn't work out. I think with some step up ferrules I might have made it work but it was just a pain. If you do have cable stops then I would recommend it if not I might just stick with the Pro housing and the cables that come in that set are good but if nothing else get some elite cables and you are set.
Old 12-31-22, 09:52 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 989 Posts
My experience is that the bead type doesn't shift generally as well as regular wire housing. If you want to use it, keep it on the outside and use standard wire housing inside the frame. Yes, you can mix them.
Old 01-01-23, 07:33 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I believe you are talking about the Jagwire Elite Link set? Never heard fishbone, my friend and fellow mechanic calls it "the beads". Anywho it doesn't do well at full length because it takes.a lot to do it. I had tried to do it on my fixed gear and it didn't work out. I think with some step up ferrules I might have made it work but it was just a pain. If you do have cable stops then I would recommend it if not I might just stick with the Pro housing and the cables that come in that set are good but if nothing else get some elite cables and you are set.
correct, somewere (maybe aliexpress) they call it fishbone or something like that.
Old 01-01-23, 10:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
correct, somewere (maybe aliexpress) they call it fishbone or something like that.
Alibaba and his 40 thieves are unlikely to be authorized Jagwire dealers so I wouldn't bother with them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-07-23, 09:16 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 87 Posts
Agree with veganbikes —and for the record, the “fishbone” (non-Jagwire) kits out on eBay from the Chinese vendor are pure junk (…at least the two sets I purchased.)
Likes For Sonofamechanic: