Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 06:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
Nearly all the preaching you get in rim vs disc brake threads is from old rim-brake diehards. They have a strong tendency to rubbish newer tech in order to justify their own choices. I rarely see this in reverse. People might well say that they prefer disc brakes to rim brakes, but it's rare to see them snarking at the older tech as if they are making a more savvy choice.

Last edited by PeteHski; 01-07-23 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Removed quote
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-07-23, 07:09 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by BBB_Adrift
Cemeteries are filled with people who "were in the right and had right of way" but still died.
There is a saying that goes "It doesn't matter if you're dead wrong or dead right, you're still DEAD".
Old 01-07-23, 07:11 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So are you saying "use the Force"?
The Force is with me.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Of course, there's the Menace of Phantom shifts, but that's the episode we don't talk about.
Not sure if you're talking about SRAM here. If this is the case, it's probably because it wasn't set up correctly. SRAM can be tricky to set up - especially the FD, but once you get it right, shifting is flawless.
Old 01-07-23, 07:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Nearly all the preaching you get in rim vs disc brake threads is from old rim-brake diehards. They have a strong tendency to rubbish newer tech in order to justify their own choices. I rarely see this in reverse. People might well say that they prefer disc brakes to rim brakes, but it's rare to see them snarking at the older tech as if they are making a more savvy choice.
The post I quoted is the best of the thread so far. One that both sides could agree on. Simple as that. No snark at all. Maybe you should reread that post. You appear to be looking for an argument.
Old 01-07-23, 07:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The post I quoted is the best of the thread so far. One that both sides could agree on. Simple as that. No snark at all. Maybe you should reread that post. You appear to be looking for an argument.
Sorry, it was merely the word "preach" that prompted my observation. I wasn't having a go at you. I'll edit to remove the quote for clarity.
Old 01-07-23, 08:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
No, it’s because in the not-too-distant future (possibly now) it will be impossible to get up-to-date groupset parts that support rim brakes (and cable shifting too, prolly).
That's only an issue if your component choices are of a quality that wears out quickly. High quality components can last for decades. I still regularly ride components from the 70s and 80s. Consumable items like wound cables and rim brake pads unlikely to disappear from the market anytime in the foreseeable future.

I am keeping my rim brake bike but am resigned to a future of scouring EBay to find NOS shifters that support them…unless microshift and Chinese components improve their quality.
Only if you insist on indexed shifting and "brifters."
Old 01-07-23, 08:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Insecurities ???...Do you really believe that I worry about what others think of my bikes ?

Wolfchild (and a few other posters) made their comments entirely tongue-in-cheek.
Then people don't understand the humor and practically jump all over them.
Come on, folks, figure it out...
You must be new around here.
Old 01-07-23, 09:29 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Because it was a ridiculous,
Why would you say that a bike frame which offers more versatility, more options for different builds and more options to run different components be considered ridiculous ?
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-07-23, 09:36 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Nearly all the preaching you get in rim vs disc brake threads is from old rim-brake diehards.
I don't see anybody here preaching that we should abandon disc brakes and go back to rim brakes because rim brakes are better than disc brakes. Several posters have made it very clear that rim brakes work great for them and there is no good reason to get rid of them. That's all that was said.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-07-23, 09:43 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
I only have one bike with disc, my fatbike. 2 if you include last season's fatbike I have up for sale, I guess, 3 if you include my son's fatbike.... you see where I'm going.

I've got a frame on the way that'll be the only bike in the stable with dual pivot rim brakes, so I'm probably a couple of decades behind, the two bikes I use on the road the most - my commuter has single pivot, my CX/road bike has canti.

It's not about not wanting disc, it's just not really worth any more to me for most use.
Old 01-07-23, 09:55 AM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
I actually prefer the retro look of rim brakes on my state-of-the-art TIME ADH 01 frame.

Kevin g

Likes For onekgguy:
Old 01-07-23, 09:57 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why would you say that a bike frame which offers more versatility, more options for different builds and more options to run different components be considered ridiculous ?

The same reason you don’t see this guy in an orchestra!
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-07-23, 10:15 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Disc brakes: heavier, more complex, upset the lateral balance of the bike, are more expensive, are less aero-dynamic. Caliper is closer to the road or trail.

Result of successful marketing:
"The truck backed up.., and everybody got in."
First of all, that’s new one and you should at least get credit for being creative even though you comment is pretty foolish.

You fail to mention better braking which is the point to begin with. Following your train of thought a brake less fixed gear would be the way to go except you would need to find one that does not affect the lateral balance of the bike.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 01-07-23 at 10:45 AM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-07-23, 10:28 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,774 Posts
You fail to mention better braking which is the point to begin with.
I’m not even sure what this means. I could launch myself over the bars with my index finger on the hoods. How much “better braking” do I need?

Disc brakes offer no discernible benefit to me, but instead include a plethora of drawbacks.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-07-23, 10:41 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Nice bike, but let's discuss the elephant in the room ... those valve caps.

Originally Posted by onekgguy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-23, 10:54 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
First of all, that’s new one and you should at least get credit for being creative even though you comment is pretty foolish.

You fail to mention better braking which is the point to begin with. Following your train of thought a brake less fixed gear would be the way to go except you would need to find one that does not affect the lateral balance of the bike.
The quote goes back almost 100 years. I was incorrect about the balancing of the bike. With so much gear on the right side only, if anything, the disc-brake system helps to correct this weight-distribution problem. I shouldn't post early in the morning. I don't mind admitting when I am wrong.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 01-07-23, 11:17 AM
tomato coupe

The quote goes back almost 100 years. I was incorrect about the balancing of the bike. With so much gear on the right side only, if anything, the disc-brake system helps to correct this weight-distribution problem. I shouldn't post early in the morning. I don't mind admitting when I am wrong.
Bikes now have a weight-distribution problem? Awesome.
Old 01-07-23, 11:48 AM
Koyote

Not just heavier. All of the stuff is on one side, so imbalanced.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Bikes now have a weight-distribution problem? Awesome.
TC: when I switch from my disc brake bike over to an old rim brake bike, I always fall down several times before re-adapting to the severe imbalance. Don't you?
Old 01-07-23, 11:51 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
For me it really depends on the bike and what I’m doing with it.

I wouldn’t so much as consider a mountain bike with rim brakes. Easy choice since that doesn’t exist anymore. I definitely would be open to an early 90’s garage queen but not a rider.

I literally replaced my gravel bike with very nearly the same bike so I can run discs and thru axles.

My two older road bikes don’t see a ton of miles but their rim brakes are great. I’d have no concerns about a mountain descent on either.
Old 01-07-23, 11:53 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
TC: when I switch from my disc brake bike over to an old rim brake bike, I always fall down several times before re-adapting to the severe imbalance. Don't you?
Yes, but I've always attributed it to the Feng Shui of the disc brakes, not the weight distribution.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-23, 12:00 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, but I've always attributed it to the Feng Shui of the disc brakes, not the weight distribution.
I think gravitational pull and the tides has something to do with it, too. North of the equator, I always fall to the right… South of the equator, I fall to the left.

either way, 1989Pre is definitely on to something.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-07-23, 12:03 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
I think gravitational pull and the tides has something to do with it, too. North of the equator, I always fall to the right… South of the equator, I fall to the left.

either way, 1989Pre is definitely on to something.
ftfy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-23, 12:07 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
About once a year I drop into my local high-end shop. Yesterday the shop was completely dead - just me and 6 worried looking staffers. So they ask: what type of what type of bike are you looking for? "A road bike for riding with my pals." What is your budget? "15". Hundred? "No thousand" That got their attention.

So they show me their high-end line. All hydro discs and all aero, and all fat tires. Of course, all internal routing right from the bars and through the headset.

Every bike is heavier than 3 of my current road bikes. I don't do hydraulics, and I only buy what I work on. Plus the PITA internal routing, which means 3 hours and $300 of shop time if I want to swap out a stem. Add to this the bizarro proprietary bottom bracket which means I probably won't be able to fit my current nice crankset.

Aero? I spend almost all of my time drafting the big guys. The critical performance need is low weight, so you don't get popped off of the back out of corners or on the hills.

Final deal breaker: I don't want to show up at the start of the ride with discs to have my older and smarter pals ask sarcastically: "Are we going mountain biking?"

Last edited by Dave Mayer; 01-07-23 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 01-07-23, 12:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
Yep
Old 01-07-23, 12:26 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
One of my favorite mountain bikes I ride has rim brakes. They are Cane Creek Direct Curve brakes on this bike. Two other mountain bikes have disc brakes up front, and XTR parallel push linkage V-brakes on the rear. My drop bar bike has disc up front and a cantilever brake on the rear. I am keeping these bikes as long as I can ride them.

I will not ride the mountain bike with rim V-brakes front and rear when it is wet. Rim brakes are terrible in wet conditions compared to disc brakes.

So if I had to have only one bicycle, it would have hydraulic disc brakes. That's a fact to me.

I have three mountain bikes that have hydraulic brakes front and rear. These are the bikes I choose for the most demanding tasks and terrain, such as bikepacking, epic rides, and technical descents.

That said, rim brake frames are beautiful and rim brakes function perfectly well in ideal conditions and adjustment.

I'll add, slightly related, that disc brake pads aren't cheap, and my family goes through brake pads like crazy. We have Shimano, SRAM, and Magura brakes on our various bikes. I'm constantly keeping an eye on pad wear. Cheaper OEM brake pads are often good replacements, but I've had a few bad OEM brake pads too.

Most of my regular maintenance tasks are keeping brakes tuned and tubeless tires fresh.

Back in the day, replacing and adjusting cantilever brake pads was very fiddly at times. Rims eventually wear out, and faster under extreme duty.

Nowadays the rim brake bikes are the garage queens and only taken out for the best rides. That way they'll last a lot longer and retain their beauty longer. They are cherished steel classics which provide an experience of the past which in some ways becomes more and more ideal the further I get from it. Because back before disc brakes and carbon fiber the road and trail networks were different. There were fewer people too. The distance between towns was further, Navigation was less precise, and life was different in the pre-internet age. I like that and appreciate the difference. Getting on a rim brake bike gives me a whiff of what was.
Likes For Sorcerer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.