Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GARMIN EDGE shutting off.

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-06-23, 11:25 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts

After saving a ride and shutting the unit off I connected it to a USB cable to charge it, but the unit was dead. I tried starting it in the normal manner, but it would not start.
When I reset the unit by holding down all the buttons it will started up and showed a charge of appr. 50%.
This condition happened twice in a row. The 2nd time by ride was saved, but the 1st time it wasn't.
Any ideas appreciated.
Old 01-06-23, 11:26 AM
yannisg

Its the EDGE 530
Old 01-06-23, 11:40 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Call Garmin.

They'll probably replace it.
Old 01-06-23, 12:48 PM
yannisg

I'll contact them.
Old 01-06-23, 02:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
What was on the other end of the USB cable? A charger or a PC/Macbook?

But for certain call Garmin Support. They'll get you straightened out or otherwise taken care of.
Old 01-07-23, 02:30 PM
yannisg

USB hub on a PC
Old 01-07-23, 03:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

It probably is going into charge only mode and won't work for anything else. Might partly depend on the level of battery charge. Maybe if you plug it into a USB3 or a type C port on your PC with the appropriate end for your Edge 530 it might allow you to work with it. USB 2 only puts out .5 amps on the power pins. USB3 is a tad better with .9 amps. So maybe it still won't be enough. If you have a type C port on your PC it should put out plenty to run the thing.

Regardless, if you need to charge your Edge, it will be very slow to charge with a PC or Macbook unless you have that USB type C port.

Sometimes USB hubs will put out a tad more amperage on the ports if you have a powered hub. But if it's just powered from the USB cable it'll be only able to put out what the PC puts out.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-07-23 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-07-23, 03:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Try charging it with a different cable. It is rare but I have had a couple cables go bad over the years.
Old 01-08-23, 11:14 AM
yannisg

Today, I saved the ride and the Garmin worked normally. After saving the ride I shut the unit off, and then switched it on, and it worked.
In the previously mention cases I don't specifically remember that after saving the ride I plugged the unit into the cable from the USB hub, to download the ride and it went "dead".
Most likely that was the case so it must be a matter of the cable or the hub. The cable is a Garmin cable.
I'll watch how this develops.
Thanks for the response.
Old 01-08-23, 11:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by yannisg
Today, I saved the ride and the Garmin worked normally. After saving the ride I shut the unit off, and then switched it on, and it worked.
In the previously mention cases I don't specifically remember that after saving the ride I plugged the unit into the cable from the USB hub, to download the ride and it went "dead".
Most likely that was the case so it must be a matter of the cable or the hub. The cable is a Garmin cable.
Thanks for the response.
Do you not have your Edge 530 connected via Bluetooth to the Garmin App on your smartphone or to the Wi-Fi in your home? If you do, then your Edge 530 automatically will save and send your ride activities to the Garmin Connect website for your review with a PC or MacBook. And if you allow, then also to RideWithGPS, Strava and some others too.

Never anything needed to connect it to except a charger. My Edge 530 has my rides saved and uploaded before I ever get in the house most of the time. Having that Wi-Fi connection or Bluetooth through the Garmin phone app really makes map, software and firmware updates a cinch.
Old 01-08-23, 12:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Thanks for the response.
USB cables absolutely go bad over time. Good thing is they're cheap.
Old 01-08-23, 01:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do you not have your Edge 530 connected via Bluetooth to the Garmin App on your smartphone or to the Wi-Fi in your home? If you do, then your Edge 530 automatically will save and send your ride activities to the Garmin Connect website for your review with a PC or MacBook. And if you allow, then also to RideWithGPS, Strava and some others too.

Never anything needed to connect it to except a charger. My Edge 530 has my rides saved and uploaded before I ever get in the house most of the time. Having that Wi-Fi connection or Bluetooth through the Garmin phone app really makes map, software and firmware updates a cinch.
Agree with this. Much easier to setup a BT connection. Then when you finish a ride and press save, the ride goes to the Connect Mobile app and then right to Garmjn Connect and onward as desired to RWGPS, Strava, etc..... I really only plug my device into a PC when I know it is due for an OS update. I also use somebodies USB wall wart to charge, only issues I've had is sometimes the 1030 will not shut off and/or will power On when I plug in to charge.
Old 01-08-23, 02:06 PM
yannisg

Out of habit I've always connected my Garmin to my PC after my rides. I also copy my rides to a database which has all my spares and maintenance info.
I'll connect it through bluetooth.
Thanks.
Old 01-08-23, 05:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Just curious when was the last time you cleared out all the saved rides ?. I've read of a stuffed memory causing odd issues. I dump last years, its all backed up on RWGPS as well as Connect.
Old 01-09-23, 03:07 PM
yannisg

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Just curious when was the last time you cleared out all the saved rides ?. I've read of a stuffed memory causing odd issues. I dump last years, its all backed up on RWGPS as well as Connect.
Never though about clearing saved rides. I thought it automatically discarded older rides when the memory filled up.
Old 01-09-23, 03:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Never though about clearing saved rides. I thought it automatically discarded older rides when the memory filled up.
Supposedly Garmin Edges do. However there have been issues members on the Garmin Forums reported that seemed to resolve themselves when they deleted their old rides that had taken all the available free space. But still this is all circumstantial at best. And the threads I'm talking about are from 10 or more years ago when I use to frequent that forum.

However I too will periodically connect my Edge 530 to my PC and save off all my activities for safe keeping and delete the activities on my Edge. I've never come close to using all the available free space on any.
Old 01-09-23, 05:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

It does.