Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Brake and Shifter Cable Sets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-23, 09:07 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts

I'm looking for replacement shift and brake cable sets for my 10sp Shimano 105 drivetrain. There seems to be 2 levels at the top of Shimano's hierarchy, the Dura-Ace polymer coated sets and the stainless PTFE sets. I have internal cable routing on my CF frame and would like to reduce as much friction as possible.

Anyone care to comment on the comparative value of the two Shimano cable sets? Is the Dura-Ace version just the best and worth the slightly higher price?
Old 01-20-23, 04:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
IMO, this is all you need. https://www.ebay.com/itm/255580019410? Obviously, lots of places to obtain these.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-20-23, 08:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
I tried the Dura Ace polymer coated cables, but didn't like that the polymer eventually shredded into a brown lint. I have since discovered what I consider to be the best cables available--the Aligator 31s.

I also use Rock 'n' Roll Cable Magic oil.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-20-23, 08:44 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Does Shimano have a 5mm brake housing like the 4mm OT-SP41 shift housing? If so a model number and link to Shimano's site, please. ​​​​​
Old 01-20-23, 08:58 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I tried the Dura Ace polymer coated cables, but didn't like that the polymer eventually shredded into a brown lint. I have since discovered what I consider to be the best cables available--the Aligator 31s.
I didn't have a very good experience with my Aligator 31 strand cables. Bought 2 of them thinking they would keep from fraying longer than any Shimano or Jagwire cables at the shifter of my 6600 Ultegra STI's. They ended up fraying much sooner and the thin strands are more fragile when getting kinked or ??? from some mishap of some sort that happens to most of us at some point. These were properly installed with new Jagwire housings and ferrules, no rough spots.
Old 01-20-23, 09:09 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I didn't have a very good experience with my Aligator 31 strand cables. Bought 2 of them thinking they would keep from fraying longer than any Shimano or Jagwire cables at the shifter of my 6600 Ultegra STI's. They ended up fraying much sooner and the thin strands are more fragile when getting kinked or ??? from some mishap of some sort that happens to most of us at some point. These were properly installed with new Jagwire housings and ferrules, no rough spots.
I think I read that from you previously. I'm using downtube shifters, so I don't have to worry about tight bends. What do you think about using them for brakes?
Old 01-20-23, 09:36 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think I read that from you previously. I'm using downtube shifters, so I don't have to worry about tight bends. What do you think about using them for brakes?
Probably not much worry about fraying then with the DT shifters. I haven't used their brake cables as I really like Jagwire top tier kits with the housing that's much less compressible giving a firmer feel than anything else except for the solid link types.
Old 01-20-23, 09:40 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I haven't used their brake cables as I really like Jagwire top tier kits with the housing that's much less compressible giving a firmer feel than anything else except for the solid link types.
Totally. I'm using the Aligator31s with compressionless housing. The responsiveness is insane. The housing is about 30% lighter than regular housing. Clearly a win-win-win.
Old 01-20-23, 03:17 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Does Shimano have a 5mm brake housing like the 4mm OT-SP41 shift housing? If so a model number and link to Shimano's site, please. ​​​​​
No, what your asking for is compressionless brake housing, Jagwire (and probably others, you will need to research that), the Jagwire model / name for it is KEB-SL

Pro Compressionless Brake Housing | Jagwire
Likes For jimc101:
Old 01-20-23, 03:26 PM
smd4

Aican makes the stuff I use.
Old 01-21-23, 02:19 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
No, what your asking for is compressionless brake housing, Jagwire (and probably others, you will need to research that), the Jagwire model / name for it is KEB-SL

Pro Compressionless Brake Housing | Jagwire
Is OT-SP41 shift housing compressionless?
Old 01-21-23, 03:01 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Is OT-SP41 shift housing compressionless?
Have seen no reference to that being compressionless, the OT bit seems to refer to the outer casing being pre-lubed with a silicone grease over the regular SP41

SP41 Shift Outer Casing | SHIMANO BIKE-US
Old 01-21-23, 07:21 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I'm looking for replacement shift and brake cable sets for my 10sp Shimano 105 drivetrain. There seems to be 2 levels at the top of Shimano's hierarchy, the Dura-Ace polymer coated sets and the stainless PTFE sets. I have internal cable routing on my CF frame and would like to reduce as much friction as possible.

Anyone care to comment on the comparative value of the two Shimano cable sets? Is the Dura-Ace version just the best and worth the slightly higher price?
I would not recommend any coated cables, polished stainless steel is the way to go. I like the Jagwire Elite Link it is very smooth and doesn't get gunked up in the housing and also has the lovely benefit of being pretty lightweight and cool looking. Shimano is what I go for, for groupsets and bigger things but cables and housing are Jagwire and brake pads are SwissStop or Kool Stop because I think it is much better performing and doesn't cost much but provides a significant upgrade. Plus the kits that Jagwire sells have most of the bits you might need and I usually end up with a little extra for next time.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-21-23, 10:17 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I've been using Aligator 31s shift cables for about 3yr and had good luck with Ultegra 6800 shifters. The rear works for about 1.5yrs (6K mi) and front still good after 2yrs.
I use OT-SP41 housings from bulk roll.