Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Carbon wheels?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 01-20-23, 09:50 PM
Lrdchaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Looking to either upgrade my 2017 stumpjumper carbon expert with carbon wheels, or pick up a 22 stumpjumper pro. I know carbon wheels increased performance on my road bike, do carbon wheels improve performance on mountain bikes?
Old 01-21-23, 12:00 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Yes, in the same way for the same reason.

Adoption is not universal. A crash bent aluminum rim is something you can maybe bend back, maybe ride out, but a cracked carbon rim is done. However it's really really hard to do that

Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-21-23, 12:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
How do you measure performance?

I have carbon wheels on my hardtail MTB. They are light, which results in faster climbing. They are compliant, which results in a soother ride. I broke a spoke in the rear wheel, and the rim stayed true enough for me to do 5 miles of downhill at normal speed, and finished my ride without having to walk my bike home. I'm a fan of carbon wheels.
Old 01-21-23, 02:12 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 898 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Yes, in the same way for the same reason.

Adoption is not universal. A crash bent aluminum rim is something you can maybe bend back, maybe ride out, but a cracked carbon rim is done. However it's really really hard to do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjjiHGuHoc
The older Mavic Dee Max Pro and the newer Dee Max Sam Hill wouldn't break like this ,but impressive torture test of a carbon wheel.
Old 01-21-23, 02:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I just ordered a set of Ibis S28 carbon wheels, on sale at Ibis. They are roughly a pound lighter than the OEM Specialized wheels that came on the bike. As such you've got a weight savings on the bike and in theory should see the difference when getting up to speed as the lighter wheels will take less effort to get rolling. Thats's a big advantage on a mt. bike, maybe more than on a road bike as on a mt. bike you are constantly slowing for turns, then accelerating again on tight single track, or so goes the theory. As well can be stiffer laterally, so you might notice the greater control when turning. Again, so goes the theory, but when you research these wheels, that's generally what kind of feedback I read.
Old 01-21-23, 03:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Steve of Hardtail Party on YouTube swears by a few premium name brand rims that are more compliant. He thinks it matters more on a hard tail. In the next breath he will say it's fine to use the harsher ones (which includes all the Chinese ones) on full suspension bikes. I'm not convinced, it seems like a real princess and pea situation when you consider the tire. Maybe it's more NVH than performance per se.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-22-23, 12:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
I’m using Enve 730’s on one of my bikes and admit they feel too stiff for me

the 7 series wheels are burly enduro spec wheels and I really should have sourced a lighter duty set. I’m a heavyset gentleman and figured the heavy duty wheels would be in keeping with my needs but turns out I’m casually looking for a decent set of aluminum wheels for the rig. I is to the point that I have to air the suspension down and it started getting a lot of strikes and running way too much sag in the open setting

But that said I think they would be great for an aggressive rider who is in shape. Which is probably what they are designed for anyway

Could probably buy four nice pairs of Stan’s from the proceeds of selling off the envies
Old 01-24-23, 09:55 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
FME, carbon wheels are fine, but not necessary since I don't expose them to the rigors that would compromise a similar weight aluminum rim. Stan's have been adequate and much less expensive.