Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cracked Dropout fixable?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cracked Dropout fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 02:44 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Cracked Dropout fixable?

Hi,

Is the cracked dropout pictured below fixable? I have read that it can be welded for so long as it is not too close to the area of brazing. Given these are forged, am I correct in assuming there is no brazing in this area of the crack? Also how far away does the heat have to be to be safe? If I do go the welding route, are there any specifics that need to be said to the welder (i.e. weld on a supporting plate etc)? Also read that replacing the entire dropout would be more expensive than welding. Should I decide to go the proper replacement route, how much does it usually cost to have this replaced with a regular dropout. Is it even possible to still get the same dropout to have re-brazed on?

On another note, what causes these types of dropout failures? Is it all factory defect from overheating during brazing or is there also something that affects it during daily use like maybe overtightened clamping?
Thanks,

Fish
Old 01-23-23, 05:41 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Paging @bulgie , @gugie , @Andrew R Stewart . . . .
Old 01-23-23, 08:05 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Failure at the adjuster bolt hole is fairly common. I see it most often on the drive side, after a misaligned derailleur has landed in the spokes. Are you certain this isn't just a crack in the chrome? If it is a true crack, the easiest fix is to remove the adjuster bolt and fill the hole with brass, of course that means no more adjuster on that side. If having the adjuster is important to you, then replacing the dropout is the best way.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-23-23, 08:13 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Failure at the adjuster bolt hole is fairly common. I see it most often on the drive side, after a misaligned derailleur has landed in the spokes. Are you certain this isn't just a crack in the chrome? If it is a true crack, the easiest fix is to remove the adjuster bolt and fill the hole with brass, of course that means no more adjuster on that side. If having the adjuster is important to you, then replacing the dropout is the best way.
Hi John,

Yes the crack goes beyond the chrome unfortunately. By filling with brass do you mean brazing the hole solid? I am not particular about the adjuster bolt although it would be nice to try to save it. Any ideas on how much replacing the dropout would cost?
Old 01-23-23, 09:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
More Varieties of Frame End Repair at Yellow Jersey
Old 01-23-23, 09:56 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,476 Times in 1,132 Posts
If TIG welded with stainless rod the repair will be practically invisible in the chrome dropout.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-23-23, 10:24 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 732 Posts
Yes it can be fixed!
I broke mine as described by J D Thompson. The break and fix are in the thread below, note the careful and experienced welding barely touched the paint let alone affected the brazing. We agreed the adjuster through-hole would be filled in for max strength.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-promised.html

Last edited by BTinNYC; 01-23-23 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 10:31 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That's the first thing I thought of as well. Finding a replacement dropout to match might be a stretch.
Old 01-23-23, 11:04 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Given that there is a socket for the seat stay, is it safe to assume that it is a forged part and not investment-cast? If cast, there may be a better chance of success with brazing than welding.
Old 01-23-23, 01:58 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
Given that there is a socket for the seat stay, is it safe to assume that it is a forged part and not investment-cast? If cast, there may be a better chance of success with brazing than welding.
Not like I KNOW for sure but based on common manufacturing practice I'd bet this is investment cast and the failure due in at least some part to irregularities in the cast material (steel).

There were a LOT of cracked Campagnolo short DOs (1010-B) in the 1980s-90s, never seen one of these "Rossin" branded versions before but no doubt they had them made by one of the main suppliers to Campy/GPM/Columbus...etc.
Old 01-23-23, 02:33 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Since you only need one side adjuster to fine-tune wheel alignment, I would consider having the rear part of the dropout slot partially filled with brass.

With this left dropout now establishing the fore/aft position of the axle and wheel, the right side adjuster will handle the wheel alignment task.

The downside is going to be all the chrome that will get torched. So a weld might actually be best here and maybe the hole can be re-drilled?

Since it's the left side, stresses should be a lot lower than on a right dropout fwiw.
Old 01-23-23, 02:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Yes the crack goes beyond the chrome unfortunately. By filling with brass do you mean brazing the hole solid? I am not particular about the adjuster bolt although it would be nice to try to save it.
Yes, filling the hole completely. The hole is a stress riser, that's why it's a common failure mode.
Old 01-24-23, 02:23 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Seems like its a good idea to have the hole filled given its a stress riser and could probably also have material irregularity issues. Going to a well regarded machine shop on the weekend to see if they can do it. So to summarize I will be asking them to braze the hole shut with brass and tig weld the crack shut is this correct?

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Yes it can be fixed!
I broke mine as described by J D Thompson. The break and fix are in the thread below, note the careful and experienced welding barely touched the paint let alone affected the brazing. We agreed the adjuster through-hole would be filled in for max strength.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-promised.html
Thanks for this! I shall be looking to see if their guy will do it with a similar method of short 2-3 sec welds at a time to manage the heat.
Old 01-24-23, 06:33 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Seems like its a good idea to have the hole filled given its a stress riser and could probably also have material irregularity issues. Going to a well regarded machine shop on the weekend to see if they can do it. So to summarize I will be asking them to braze the hole shut with brass and tig weld the crack shut is this correct?

Thanks for this! I shall be looking to see if their guy will do it with a similar method of short 2-3 sec welds at a time to manage the heat.
No brass, all weld.
Likes For BTinNYC: