Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Did I break my quick release?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-23-23, 04:21 PM
808bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

first time here. hope everyone is doing well!
I tried taking off my front wheel the other day which has a quick release. I loosened the quick release lever all the way until it won't loosen anymore but my wheel still wasn't coming off and looks like I needed to loosen it a bit more (and I did release the front brakes); since I couldn't loosen it anymore by hand, I grabbed a plier for the nut and loosened it some more then I heard a few clicks; now I can't tighten it or loosen it anymore, all it's doing is clicking when I tighten or loosening; so was wondering if I broke it ? and wasn't supposed to use a plier? thanks!
Old 01-23-23, 04:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Sounds like you have an aluminum nut and stripped the thread.
Old 01-23-23, 04:41 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
There should have been no reason why you couldn’t have completely removed the nut by hand. I will refrain from giving my opinion about pliers and bikes.

Luckily, quick releases are cheap.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-23-23, 04:44 PM
808bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
There should have been no reason why you couldn’t have completely removed the nut by hand. I will refrain from giving my opinion about pliers and bikes.

Luckily, quick releases are cheap.
so I should be able to change just the quick release portion? sorry kinda new to this; back in the day I never worked w/ quick release and shifters;
thanks
Old 01-23-23, 04:54 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Yuu should be able to completely undo the quick release skewer from the nut by turning one or the other by hand. You don't need to do this, but no harm should have come of it. Many of those nuts are aluminum, so the thread is delicate, and if it was somehow cross-threaded, that would explain why you needed the pliers and why it doesn't work any more.
Old 01-23-23, 05:00 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by 808bikes
so I should be able to change just the quick release portion? sorry kinda new to this; back in the day I never worked w/ quick release and shifters;
thanks
Oh, you can totally change out quick releases. People do it all the time. They’re cheaper than a water bottle!

Last edited by smd4; 01-23-23 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-23-23, 05:03 PM
808bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what it sounds like, maybe. But they’re cheaper than a water bottle!
cool. since it just keeps turning and clicking, I probably have stripped the nut; I'm thinking of just cutting it if I can't get it out, i'll be careful to not ruin the thread; let me know if this sounds crazy
Old 01-23-23, 05:06 PM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I wonder whether the frame has the safety tabs.
Old 01-23-23, 05:38 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by daniell
I wonder whether the frame has the safety tabs.
Even with safety tabs you should still be able to unscrew the QR nuts using fingers only.
Old 01-23-23, 05:39 PM
smd4

cool. since it just keeps turning and clicking, I probably have stripped the nut; I'm thinking of just cutting it if I can't get it out, i'll be careful to not ruin the thread; let me know if this sounds crazy
If you can save the quick release skewer, you’d probably only need to buy a new nut. Cheaper still!
Old 01-23-23, 05:44 PM
808bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can save the quick release skewer, you’d probably only need to buy a new nut. Cheaper still!
thanks. are the nut (size wise) universal?
Old 01-23-23, 05:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
I wonder if the lever was wing nutted tight and is an external cam version... I would suggest choosing a steel ended internal cam version as it will both grip the fork ends better and suffer less long term degradation. If you have a service focused LBS or co-op nearby I bet they will have a used QR skewer that would work and cost little $. Remember this is your ability to control the bike's direction we're dealing with Andy
Old 01-23-23, 05:53 PM
808bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I wonder if the lever was wing nutted tight and is an external cam version... I would suggest choosing a steel ended internal cam version as it will both grip the fork ends better and suffer less long term degradation. If you have a service focused LBS or co-op nearby I bet they will have a used QR skewer that would work and cost little $. Remember this is your ability to control the bike's direction we're dealing with Andy
i have no idea what you just said, but i'll post a pic tomorrow; thanks
Old 01-23-23, 05:54 PM
smd4

The ones I’ve used have been.
Old 01-23-23, 05:56 PM
smd4

Sometimes people use a quick release incorrectly by twisting the lever as tight as possible. The QR uses a cam action to move to the open or closed position.
Old 01-23-23, 06:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
I believe that 10 posts are still the minimum needed to be able to post a photo in a thread. However I think one can post a shot to the gallery and one of us can repost that photo here for you.

Bicycle Quick-Release Mechanisms (sheldonbrown.com) Here's a link to Sheldon Brown's site page on QR skewers. Lots of very good info there.

A common way to try to use a QR skewer is to just wind the lever tight, like a wing nut, without flipping it and engaging the cam. A well designed QR skewer will produce much more clamping pressure by using the cam, compared to just wing nutting the lever tight. But the need to adjust the other end's nut to a position that, after the lever is flipped and the cam has been used, results in a well secured wheel is a technique that many either don't know about or can't understand. This one reason why most all modern skewers have a "closed" and "open" notation on the lever. If the "open" is facing away from the wheel the QR has been improperly used. The inability of enough consumers to properly tighten a QR is why we have lawyer lipped fork dropouts.

When I show a customer how to remove their ft wheel that has a QR I suggest counting the number of turns to the adjusting end nut that it takes to widen the skewer's ends from the axle's ends and slip past those drop out tabs. On reinstalling the wheel turning the adjusting end nut the same number of turns get one really close to the best after flipping the lever tightness. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 01-23-23 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added content
Old 01-25-23, 10:27 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
First question is what was limiting the wheel removal? You should be able to SEE what was hanging up, whether that be tire hitting the brake pads or "lawyer lips" or other retention devices at the hub. If the hub is loose in the fork/dropout after you open the QR lever, you should be able to easily see what the hangup is. Second question is when was "back in the day"? I got my first QR bike in 1969.
Old 01-25-23, 10:54 AM
smd4

My first quick release bike was a Centurion Sport DLX from about 1985. QR on front axle only. No sure how I learned to operate one--book? Shop personnel where I bought the bike? Either way, it had never occurred to me to just twist the lever until it was tight--although we of course saw this all the time when I started to work for the shop that sold me that bike.
Old 01-25-23, 11:06 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
The OP doesn't know enough about the quick release mechanism to make the problem clear. Fair enough.

So here's a quick tutorial in the use of bike wheel quick releases. After watching it, you might want to come back to this thread and provide a clearer description of what's going on with your quick release.

Old 01-25-23, 11:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The OP doesn't know enough about the quick release mechanism to make the problem clear. Fair enough.

So here's a quick tutorial in the use of bike wheel quick releases. After watching it, you might want to come back to this thread and provide a clearer description of what's going on with your quick release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ1VIrNnd84
Thanks. I've been using quick releases forever and was taught how to do it right when i was a pre-teen. But I doubt I could have provided words here that would do more than add to the confusion.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-25-23, 12:04 PM
smd4

Not a bad video, except for her explanation for the reason for the springs. I've seen QRs used incorrectly, but I don't think I've ever seen one come in with the nut installed backwards! That's literally nuts.
Old 01-25-23, 12:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 1,927 Posts
The standard is 5mm x 0.8mm thread.
Old 01-25-23, 12:30 PM
808bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the issue is that the bike hasn't been used in a while and the threaded skewer (hope it's the right term) and where the nut was coming out, was a bit corroded; therefore the nut could not be loosened once it hits this corroded part and when I used a plier on it, its threaded must have been stripped and the reason for it just keeps spinning.

'Back in the day' was when I was riding only BMX (when I was a teen) having only one gear, no shifters and no quick release.
but I think I can manage this quick release thing, I'm pretty handy w/ tools and my hands.
I'll probably just replace the skewer and nut.

thanks all for your insights and suggestions! you guys/gals are great! I'll post an update soon.
Old 01-25-23, 12:44 PM
smd4

I think the issue is that the bike hasn't been used in a while and the threaded skewer (hope it's the right term) and where the nut was coming out, was a bit corroded; therefore the nut could not be loosened once it hits this corroded part and when I used a plier on it, its threaded must have been stripped and the reason for it just keeps spinning.

'Back in the day' was when I was riding only BMX (when I was a teen) having only one gear, no shifters and no quick release.
but I think I can manage this quick release thing, I'm pretty handy w/ tools and my hands.
I'll probably just replace the skewer and nut.

thanks all for your insights and suggestions! you guys/gals are great! I'll post an update soon.
What kind of bike is it? Brand/model? If you're using the QR correctly, it sounds like there might be some kind of retainer to keep the wheel from dropping out, even with the QR loosened. If these lips, located at the bottom edge of the fork blade dropouts, weren't there, you should just be able to open the QR and have the wheel simply drop out of the fork--no loosening of the nut necessary (and once properly adjusted, the nuts don't ever have to be turned again). Some call them "lawyer lips" because they prevent the wheel from falling out of the fork even if the QR inadvertently comes open--thereby preventing future lawsuits resulting from such an occurrence.

If these retainers aren't there, then the QR may have been incorrectly used, as suggested above, like a big wingnut to screw down until "tightened."
Old 01-25-23, 12:51 PM
808bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bike is it? Brand/model? If you're using the QR correctly, it sounds like there might be some kind of retainer to keep the wheel from dropping out, even with the QR loosened. If these lips, located at the bottom edge of the fork blade dropouts, weren't there, you should just be able to open the QR and have the wheel simply drop out of the fork--no loosening of the nut necessary (and once properly adjusted, the nuts don't ever have to be turned again). Some call them "lawyer lips" because they prevent the wheel from falling out of the fork even if the QR inadvertently comes open--thereby preventing future lawsuits resulting from such an occurrence.

If these retainers aren't there, then the QR may have been incorrectly used, as suggested above, like a big wingnut to screw down until "tightened."
no, there's no lips or anything like that. the corrosion probably started too close to the inner portion so it wasn't loosened enough.
it's a mountain bike - specialized stumpjumper

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.