Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

From Triple to Double

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

From Triple to Double

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 05:13 PM
mikemelbrooks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
From Triple to Double

I have a 50 38 30 triple chainset and a 11 36 cassette fitted at the moment and find the change down to the 30 is very hit and miss and triple brifters are getting rare. So I have found a double chainset 110 BCD that will allow me to go down to a 34 on the front. So I am thinking a 50 34 front with a 11 40 cassette, is anyone using a similar set up? if so what derailleur? Shimano preferably?
Old 01-26-23, 11:12 PM
JoeShellharbour

Bikes: Giant Fast road Solo, Giant MTB Solo, Cannondale Road Tandem with E front wheel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hi, we have a group of Cannondale tandems (in Australia our group is exsight) and are having chain drops on a few of them from the little ring so are also considering the change to 2 rings and a MTB group set and shifter similar to you
So will watch with interest your post
Regards
Joe
Old 01-27-23, 01:32 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
A double is no insurance against chain drop. My 50/34 roadbike single drops the chain if there is any forward motion of the cranks during the shift. I've taken it to the LBS repeatedly and they can't fix it. Once upon a time I could have fixed it myself but my eyesight is to the point where bike wrenching is out of the question. To the o.p. however: Since 2005 I have chain catchers on all my tandem triples. The first one was an n-gear chain catcher and it's probably the best if it is still available. But any old chain catcher is WAY, WAY cheaper than a drivetrain overhaul and more effective. A no brainer IMO.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-27-23, 03:31 AM
mikemelbrooks

Originally Posted by JoeShellharbour
Hi, we have a group of Cannondale tandems (in Australia our group is exsight) and are having chain drops on a few of them from the little ring so are also considering the change to 2 rings and a MTB group set and shifter similar to you
So will watch with interest your post
Regards
Joe
Hi, ours is also a Cannondale, at the moment we have cable disc brakes and I would like to try changing to hydraulic but hydraulic triple brifters are unobtainable.
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A double is no insurance against chain drop. My 50/34 roadbike single drops the chain if there is any forward motion of the cranks during the shift. I've taken it to the LBS repeatedly and they can't fix it. Once upon a time I could have fixed it myself but my eyesight is to the point where bike wrenching is out of the question. To the o.p. however: Since 2005 I have chain catchers on all my tandem triples. The first one was an n-gear chain catcher and it's probably the best if it is still available. But any old chain catcher is WAY, WAY cheaper than a drivetrain overhaul and more effective. A no brainer IMO.
Hi I have the opposite problem it seems if we put the slightest of pressure while changing down to the smallest front ring the chain will stay put with the front derailleur pushing hard against the chain. I have fitted a chain catcher already.
Old 01-27-23, 07:51 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemelbrooks
I have a 50 38 30 triple chainset and a 11 36 cassette fitted at the moment and find the change down to the 30 is very hit and miss and triple brifters are getting rare. So I have found a double chainset 110 BCD that will allow me to go down to a 34 on the front. So I am thinking a 50 34 front with a 11 40 cassette, is anyone using a similar set up? if so what derailleur? Shimano preferably?
I did the conversion from 3x8 to 2x11 with 48-32 (I think) and 11-42 cassette using a mix of Ultegra and GRX parts. Have not had a chance to ride it a lot but seems to work well. Shifting is better than the 15 year old Campy+Shimano combo.

In the same conversion, I converted the drivetrain to run the timing chain on the right as well.
Old 01-27-23, 11:18 AM
mikemelbrooks

Originally Posted by scycheng
I did the conversion from 3x8 to 2x11 with 48-32 (I think) and 11-42 cassette using a mix of Ultegra and GRX parts. Have not had a chance to ride it a lot but seems to work well. Shifting is better than the 15 year old Campy+Shimano combo.

In the same conversion, I converted the drivetrain to run the timing chain on the right as well.
Thanks that was just what I was hoping to hear, I have a timing belt so it's staying that way. The original crankset are FSA Gossamer megaexo 130bcd I have bought the same Crankset but 110bcd and a double. I think I should be able to use the original left crank for the cross over.
Old 01-27-23, 11:31 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemelbrooks
Thanks that was just what I was hoping to hear, I have a timing belt so it's staying that way. The original crankset are FSA Gossamer megaexo 130bcd I have bought the same Crankset but 110bcd and a double. I think I should be able to use the original left crank for the cross over.
You should be able to. I went with new cranks to get a better length for my stoker. Now I can use any run-of-the-mill triple crank for the back and a double/single ring crank for the front.
Old 01-27-23, 12:09 PM
bobh123

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My Comotion Speedster came with 50/34 chainrings and a 11-40 cassette. Ultegra shifters front and back. It worked fine, though like all derailleurs it needs to be adjusted properly. I think the rear derailleur had a Comotion-branded extension similar to a Roadlink to be able to handle the larger cassette.

As an aside, this past summer I installed a larger 11-46 cassette to be able to ride the bike loaded up hills when we rode across the country.
Old 01-27-23, 10:31 PM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Mostly Better

I've always ridden all Shimano 3X tandems. We all know that getting the drive-train adjustments right and keeping them right was a bit of work, and the shifting was never quite as good as on my similar single bikes.

So, in 2019, when we ordered a new Co-Motion, we switched two things about the drive-train - we switched from 52-42-30 rings to the very common 50-34 compact chainring combination, along with a similarly common 11-34 cassette (and a second 11-42 cassette + Wolf tooth Roadlink for mountain tours). The downside of these double chainring configurations is the large jumps in teeth. And shifting the chainring up or down almost always requires a double shift. But, the Shimano components are tried and true and work just fine - no chain drop issues.

The biggest change, however, for both initial adjustment and for smooth operation, was switching from mechanical to Di2 Ultegra shifters and derailleurs. They are a lot better than mechanical for a tandem. So, switching to a double won't be that big an adjustment for you, but if you can incorporate the change to Di2 in your upgrade, you'll likely find a big improvement, perhaps including fewer chain drops.
Old 02-14-23, 03:23 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Our old tandem had the same gearing as the OP, and the same problem getting it to drop into the small ring. We are now running 46/30 and 10-42 11speed cassette. All with GRX di2 shifting. This is a massive 647% range. And we use all of it! And we still spin out the 125 gear inch top gear as soon as the road tips downhill.
The 46/30 is FSA modular on an SL-K crank, but should fit other of their modular cranks.
Old 02-19-23, 06:55 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
We are running di2 with 50/34 f chain rings, and put an 11-36 for climbing. Bought a wolf tooth adapter to fit an 11-40, but we have t had to use it.

based on how well the 11-36 shifts, and the accounts others running 11-40 and bigger with the wolf tooth, I pretty confident it would work well.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-20-23, 10:14 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We've been riding our 2003 CoMotion since 2007. It's a triple of course. I had a chain catcher on it for several years, but finally took it off. It seemed easier to me to properly adjust the FD than to mess with a chain catcher. Our current experience is that was a good decision. We are running 53-39-26 in front and an 11-40 in back. We have some steep hills and we're a 151 y.o. team.

The front end has been an issue. It has been our practice to ride in the rain a lot, we being in the PNW. That has meant a fair bit of chainring wear and we started having trouble getting 42T triple rings. We changed our left brifter and FD to 10-speed and our middle and big rings to 10-speed rings. The 53 is actually for a double, but there's no difference there and of course the granny doesn't care either. That change solved our front shifting problems and we stocked up on 39T triple rings. We don't drop the chain on the granny shifts.

I have triples on all my bikes. I prefer them because the gear-inch numbers are much closer on a triple than they can be on a double, plus I get to use 26T grannies on all my bikes which makes an even larger difference on my singles. Interestingly, my singles work fine with the 9-speed FD and brifter and 10-speed chainrings, but our tandem wasn't happy that way. There is a small difference in ring width between 9 and 10 speed chainrings. I do have a chain catcher on my most-used single which is running 10-speed rings. Of course shifting is easier on a single.
Old 05-26-23, 12:42 PM
dmegarmstrong

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently converted my 2010 Co-motion speedster to a single ring 12 speed option.

11-50 SRAM NX eagle cassette - compatible with my existing freehub; X01 eagle derailleur and chain; Microshift 12 speed SRAM bar end shifter. Timing chainrings are 36 tooth and drive chainring is 48 presently but would be swapped out for something smaller for touring purposes.

This setup allows use of standard double road cranks - same sided timing chain and drive chain is perfect.

Love the smooth shifting and absence of dropped chain concerns. It is also really nice to be able to use standard road cranks with their narrow pedal stance. We have lost a little on the top end but my stoker figures is happy to coast at anything over 30 mph