Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cygolite stuck on randomly

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 04:30 PM
vishwin

Bikes: road, fixed-gear cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Cygolite HotShot SL randomly decided to turn itself on with my bike still parked in my room. The light was stuck in solid mode with no way to shut it off or change the mode. Plugging into USB (to charge the unit, normally) did not do anything, but I expected that from the unit being on anyway.

As I was typing this post originally, it randomly turned on and off, sometimes cycling between modes as well, all while "charging". It returned to normal behaviours after a few minutes. However, as soon as I unplugged, it returned to the unresponsive solid state.

I've had a Planet Bike LED tail light that finally gave up running after acting berserk about six months ago; perhaps the same kind of problem?
Old 02-02-14, 05:14 PM
KlingOn
Banned.

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Cygolite Metro does this at random. Sometimes the symptoms last 10 minutes, sometimes for days.

But for me it didn't start until the unit was about 2 years old and endured daily, all-weather, all-season use, so I couldn't really complain. It gave me it's 45€ worth.

My daughter has a see-through rubber ball for her chinchilla. It opens up, you put the chinchilla inside, and it can run around the house and explore that way. It's soft rubber, feels like a deflated soccer ball. If you put the unit inside one of those and shake vigorously, that tends to work.

You know, every serious cyclist mechanic needs a chinchilla ball, right dude?
Old 02-02-14, 05:39 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KlingOn
My Cygolite Metro does this at random. Sometimes the symptoms last 10 minutes, sometimes for days.

But for me it didn't start until the unit was about 2 years old and endured daily, all-weather, all-season use, so I couldn't really complain. It gave me it's 45€ worth.

My daughter has a see-through rubber ball for her chinchilla. It opens up, you put the chinchilla inside, and it can run around the house and explore that way. It's soft rubber, feels like a deflated soccer ball. If you put the unit inside one of those and shake vigorously, that tends to work.

You know, every serious cyclist mechanic needs a chinchilla ball, right dude?
With or without the chinchilla inside?
Old 02-02-14, 05:48 PM
KlingOn
Banned.

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril
With or without the chinchilla inside?
My God, I hate that chinchilla so much, man. Next time I'll try for it inside.
Old 02-02-14, 11:21 PM
vishwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I let my Cygolite sit there and charge during the Super Bowl, and lo and behold we're back to normal! Still interested to know what caused something like this to even happen at all, considering my unit's at most only five months old.
Old 02-03-14, 04:06 PM
vishwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just called Cygolite tech support. Could be a problem with the internal board.
Old 02-03-14, 04:15 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
First choice, get Cygolite to repair/replace under warranty.

Second choice, take everything apart that can be taken apart, and let everything dry overnight. Cross you fingers and hope that there was some moisture intrusion.
Old 02-03-14, 04:23 PM
vishwin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
First choice, get Cygolite to repair/replace under warranty.
That's what the support rep indirectly suggested over the phone when he mentioned sending the unit for them to take a look.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Second choice, take everything apart that can be taken apart, and let everything dry overnight. Cross you fingers and hope that there was some moisture intrusion.
I suspected that as well, and like I said before, I let it charge during the Super Bowl and overnight, so it had to dry during that time. The symptoms happened again after returning from a very short (< 2 km) ride with the unit on the bike and everything working, which is when I called them up. Support rep had me email; may be getting that warranty service.
Old 12-17-22, 12:36 PM
Hraffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wet inside

mine did this too. I took it apart and it was full of water. Three screws. Let’s see how it does tomorrow.

Originally Posted by vishwin
My Cygolite HotShot SL randomly decided to turn itself on with my bike still parked in my room. The light was stuck in solid mode with no way to shut it off or change the mode. Plugging into USB (to charge the unit, normally) did not do anything, but I expected that from the unit being on anyway.

As I was typing this post originally, it randomly turned on and off, sometimes cycling between modes as well, all while "charging". It returned to normal behaviours after a few minutes. However, as soon as I unplugged, it returned to the unresponsive solid state.

I've had a Planet Bike LED tail light that finally gave up running after acting berserk about six months ago; perhaps the same kind of problem?
Old 12-17-22, 05:19 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Hraffle
mine did this too. I took it apart and it was full of water. Three screws. Let’s see how it does tomorrow.
Welcome to Bike Forums. Generally considered in bad taste here to revive a zombie threat that's eight years old.