Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 03-20-15, 07:10 PM
PRus

Bikes: SEVEN Elium SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry for not wording it right. It is the beginners course.
They call it:New rider orientation and development
Just hoping to ride some laps and stay upright !
Thanks
Old 03-20-15, 08:31 PM
SBUndefeated201

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PRus
Heading to Florida for a few days and if timing works out visiting Brian Piccolo Park & Velodrome for Novice night.
First time on a track bike.
Use just sneakers with the rental bike or bring my bike shoes and Keogh pedals?
Thanks for your input.
I race at the BP velodrome and am always there on monday nights. If you get there at 6:15, you should be able to use a Jamis Sonik for the night for free with your own pedals. I say bring your pedals along with thin sneakers incase you use cages. There is usually a scratch race done at the end of the night.
Old 03-21-15, 12:00 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by PRus
Heading to Florida for a few days and if timing works out visiting Brian Piccolo Park & Velodrome for Novice night.
First time on a track bike.
Use just sneakers with the rental bike or bring my bike shoes and Keogh pedals?
Thanks for your input.
Bring your shoes and pedals
Old 03-21-15, 12:08 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rndstr
How do I get from these measurements to numbers I can read off a geometry chart?
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]actual inseam[/TD]
[TD]82cm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]trunk[/TD]
[TD]65cm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]forearm[/TD]
[TD]36cm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]arm[/TD]
[TD]60cm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]thigh[/TD]
[TD]59cm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]lower leg[/TD]
[TD]57cm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]sternal notch[/TD]
[TD]142cm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]height[/TD]
[TD]174cm[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Tiemeyer Cycles, Inc. :: Custom Bicycle Frame Builder

You can plug in your numbers and it will give you a pretty good geometry. Your measurements work out to roughly a 55-55.5cm TT. It will also give you angles and such, so you can compare these numbers to those of a geo chart. It doesn't give stack and reach, but you can make a pretty good estimate of it once you find a frame that has numbers close to what this page spits out for you
Old 03-22-15, 03:40 PM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice on bars, have managed to borrow a set and see how i get on. However really busy with work at the moment so unlikely to get a chance to actually test on the track until race day. Which im reluctant to do for obvious reasons!
Old 03-22-15, 03:53 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Anyone have an inside line on what the US Elite Nats schedule is gonna look like?
Old 03-23-15, 02:48 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zizou
Thanks for the advice on bars, have managed to borrow a set and see how i get on. However really busy with work at the moment so unlikely to get a chance to actually test on the track until race day. Which im reluctant to do for obvious reasons!
Really worth putting them on and trying them on a quiet street somewhere, if you can't get to the track. A few warm up laps on the track will be cool - they are much easier to ride than they seem. Good luck!
Old 03-23-15, 05:56 AM
myth001

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about the dryness in the air:

I've noticed that a few times the air has been too dry in the track. Mostly, I just stop and sip in some liquid (water + Nuun tablet) more often. But twice (in the O-Cup last month, and then yesterday), I felt the air so dry that it gave me this terrible hacking cough. Even swallowing became so hard and painful that it hurt even talking.

Couple of questions here:
1. Is it a common phenomenon with all? How do you tackle it?

2. Could be some physical and some mental? I mean, last month in the O-Cup, it was my first track race ever. And then yesterday also we were pushing in team pursuits, training for the upcoming racing events next week. Perhaps the pressure in the head makes it worse?

3. What's your choice of drink? Water, water + electrolytes, energy drinks, carb drinks...???

Personally, I'm a big fish when road biking. I drink a lot of water. I'm always thirsty, and the length of my ride is defined by how hot it is and how much water I carry. Unless I plan to re-fill my bottles on the way. So, the track transition has been a bit hard as I'm not used to riding without sipping in some water every 15 minutes or so.
Old 03-23-15, 06:18 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
Originally Posted by zizou
Really worth putting them on and trying them on a quiet street somewhere, if you can't get to the track. A few warm up laps on the track will be cool - they are much easier to ride than they seem. Good luck!
+1

I tried my first set of aerobars in a near by school parking lot. I also taught my wife how to hold me for a pursuit start at the same time.
Old 03-23-15, 06:31 AM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It sounds like an early season cough which isn't too uncommon, it is usually more severe if your first races are in colder weather. I mentioned in the Race Report Thread that at my first track race last week, the infield sounded like a smoker's anonymous meeting due to all of the coughing.

Relative to the road, I drink a lot at the track. I usually go through 2-3 bottles of Powerade (2 zero cal & 1 regular). When it's hot outside, the 20oz bottles are switched for 32oz bottles.
Old 03-23-15, 06:41 AM
nspace

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myth001
I've noticed that a few times the air has been too dry in the track. Mostly, I just stop and sip in some liquid (water + Nuun tablet) more often. But twice (in the O-Cup last month, and then yesterday), I felt the air so dry that it gave me this terrible hacking cough. Even swallowing became so hard and painful that it hurt even talking.

2. Could be some physical and some mental? I mean, last month in the O-Cup, it was my first track race ever. And then yesterday also we were pushing in team pursuits, training for the upcoming racing events next week. Perhaps the pressure in the head makes it worse?

3. What's your choice of drink? Water, water + electrolytes, energy drinks, carb drinks...???

Personally, I'm a big fish when road biking. I drink a lot of water. I'm always thirsty, and the length of my ride is defined by how hot it is and how much water I carry. Unless I plan to re-fill my bottles on the way. So, the track transition has been a bit hard as I'm not used to riding without sipping in some water every 15 minutes or so.
I was felt good yesterday at the track, drank more water than normal, but there have been sessions where I can't stop coughing after. I rarely ever get sick and this winter at the track I've got 2 throat infections. No clue if there is some relation. I've usually felt the cough in cold weather, but between indoor rides, and track time, I haven't really had the need to squeeze in some outdoor rides just yet—so the coughing surprised me. Yesterday I had one bottle of water, and then another with an electrolyte drink, that combo seemed to work fine. In the 3 hrs I was there I went through nearly 4 bottles.
Old 03-23-15, 06:48 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nspace
I was felt good yesterday at the track, drank more water than normal, but there have been sessions where I can't stop coughing after. I rarely ever get sick and this winter at the track I've got 2 throat infections. No clue if there is some relation. I've usually felt the cough in cold weather, but between indoor rides, and track time, I haven't really had the need to squeeze in some outdoor rides just yet—so the coughing surprised me. Yesterday I had one bottle of water, and then another with an electrolyte drink, that combo seemed to work fine. In the 3 hrs I was there I went through nearly 4 bottles.
Yes, you were there for 2 consecutive sessions yesterday. Don't know how you did it.

But I'm not sure if that track-cough is linked with the cough-cold that we get in the cold season, especially when we haven't been riding outside at all. At least, that's what I think I've noticed.

Yesterday it seemed like no matter how much I drank, it didn't affect the dry throat at all. As if the water just seeped right down the throat, without 'moisturising' it at all. I was wonder if an energy chew might've helped as it would've caused more saliva generation - just a theory!
Old 03-23-15, 06:51 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
It sounds like an early season cough which isn't too uncommon, it is usually more severe if your first races are in colder weather. I mentioned in the Race Report Thread that at my first track race last week, the infield sounded like a smoker's anonymous meeting due to all of the coughing.

Relative to the road, I drink a lot at the track. I usually go through 2-3 bottles of Powerade (2 zero cal & 1 regular). When it's hot outside, the 20oz bottles are switched for 32oz bottles.
Haven't raced outside yet in the season, and the track season has been ON since January. it seems like just the dryness in the air (or my mind).

And I can't do too much sugary drinks, they make me pass wayyyy too much gas. Not sure my compatriots will appreciate me revving my engine every now and then...
Old 03-23-15, 06:57 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Known as Pursuiters cough - medically it is called Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction.
Old 03-23-15, 07:41 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Known as Pursuiters cough - medically it is called Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction.
Definitely this ^ re the cough.

Re the dry mouth, sometimes i get this really badly, and sometimes not. I find its a combination of factors - ambient humidity and temperature (hotter and drier obviously worse), how hard the effort is (breathing rate changes - blowing out more nice moist air and sucking in dry air) and if you are breathing through your mouth or nose. Breathing through your nose gives the air a bit more of a chance to moisten a little before going down into your lungs, so it doesn't suck up as much moisture travelling in and being blown out. Sometimes its not really feasible to breath in through your nose, though

That you drink a lot when you have a bottle cage is also a factor. I used to also drink a huge amount, to the extent that i'd ride on the road with a camelbak if i was going to be out there for more than 3 hours O_O. Since starting on the track, where you can't take a sip every ten minutes, my body has gotten used to drinking much less/ less often. Just an adaptation process, really.

That dry throat can actually be painful sometimes. >_<
Old 03-23-15, 08:13 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drink a lot more at the track as well, perhaps just because its there and I dont have to worry about running out.

The first month at the track (Nationals and MIC) were dangerously dry. We had lots of dust in the air from construction as well, and doing a long race was very difficult. I remember coming off after just 10 hard laps and I couldn't even swallow.

Its a lot better now, the boiler (humidity) has been on for a few weeks. I used to get a bad cough at FCV, but it was like 3deg in there and full of...I dont want to know... Just get in a habit of drinking lots before, during, after. Like twice what you would on a hot day on the road.
Old 03-23-15, 09:58 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We call it "track hack" here in Portland. It's common. Water doesn't really help. Your body just learns to adapt after a time. Sucking on a hard candy to get moisture into your mouth helps a bit.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-23-15, 12:01 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also known as Kilo cough. I find honey dissolved in hot tea seems to help. As for dry mouth, my wife swears by sticking a clove between cheek and gum, but that doesn't work for me. I really need something 'cause at the end of a long race my mouth is so dry my tongue sticks to roof, teeth, cheeks, you name it.
Old 03-23-15, 12:06 PM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard it called pursuiter's lung but I prefer track hacking. We had our season opener at Kissena on Sunday and there was a lot of it going around.

Originally Posted by gtrob
Its a lot better now, the boiler (humidity) has been on for a few weeks. I used to get a bad cough at FCV, but it was like 3deg in there and full of...I dont want to know... Just get in a habit of drinking lots before, during, after. Like twice what you would on a hot day on the road.
When I visited FCV last year in January, I had horrible track hacking after an Australian pursuit. When our group went out to eat after, a nice cider with my meal cleared it right up. I find that fizzy beverages seem to help.
Old 03-23-15, 01:16 PM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
Also known as Kilo cough. I find honey dissolved in hot tea seems to help. As for dry mouth, my wife swears by sticking a clove between cheek and gum, but that doesn't work for me. I really need something 'cause at the end of a long race my mouth is so dry my tongue sticks to roof, teeth, cheeks, you name it.
That's precisely the feeling I get as well. And it seems the words are also hard to come out.

Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
a nice cider with my meal cleared it right up. I find that fizzy beverages seem to help.
Perhaps I should try to recreate that feeling, and test out a candy, honey, energy chewies, pop etc.

The dryness + track-hack/pursuiter's cough = an experience not looking forward to repeat...
Old 03-23-15, 05:27 PM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
We had our season opener at Kissena on Sunday and there was a lot of it going around.
Yeah, that was me.
Old 03-24-15, 04:30 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The dryness + track-hack/pursuiter's cough = an experience not looking forward to repeat...
Wait till it comes with a serve of dry retching.Then you know you have given it a good go...
Old 03-24-15, 05:51 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Wait till it comes with a serve of dry retching.Then you know you have given it a good go...
I know I've given it all when I pull my haemorrhoid on a steep climb.
Luckily hasn't happened on the track so far.
Old 03-24-15, 06:12 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've found having pub squash/solo (lemon soda) helps when my mouth gets dry, just cant drink too much or too quickly unless you want to throw it back up. Where I am is pretty hot but it' always humid so not normally an issue as long as you stay hydrated.
Old 03-24-15, 08:49 AM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ive heard Rob Hayles mention in commentary that some 6 day racers have a quater lemon under their skinsuit that they can bite/suck through the fabric to prevent dry mouth. However cannot find any reference to this practice online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.