Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trans- American Bike trip

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 11:26 AM
aaronadventure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you all for advise on my trans-america bike route.

Currently, I am starting from western massachusetts and getting onto the atlantic route in connecticut. I was then going to follow the route given to me by adventurecycling.org. I was then going to switch onto the Trans-america to oregon.

Has anyone done a similar type of route?

Help support my bicycle trip across country! I will be spreading awareness for genetic diseases and pushing my limits on the bicycle summer of 2017.

AARON'S ADVENTURE - Home
Old 03-08-16, 11:47 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronadventure

Yes. Check out the journals on crazyguyonabike.com.
Old 03-08-16, 11:47 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Check out this site: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doctype=journal

There are many options.

My wife and I did a tour from Oregon that ended in Boston. We simply rode US Highway 20 as much as possible. It is the longest contiguous, coast-to-coast highway in the U.S.

However, I really can't say that I'd support someone's gear and vacation regardless of their intent. If you are really that fired up, why don't you supply the gear and funds to complete the trip yourself?

Last edited by Doug64; 03-08-16 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-08-16, 11:48 AM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Use any combo of ACA routes to get there.
Links to donations page is frowned upon here generally. FYI
Old 03-08-16, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Thousands, including Many people that don't read this forum.

(+1) Read https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ study the ACA bike maps https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyc...re/route-maps/

Local Writer for the Newspaper out here is so bored with press releases from 'doing this for Charity' riders .

they are more interested in stories about people doing the ride just for the Enjoyment..

Elite membership and you are paying this site, like a sponsor buying advertising

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-08-16 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-08-16, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Yeah. This sounds like a pretext for fundraising efforts.

I have done a portion of the TransAm out west (Missoula, MT to Fairplay, CO). I have done the Atlantic Coast route from Bar Harbor, ME to Conshocken, PA, although a portion of it in New York state has changed since I did it.

What is it specifically that you would like advice about.

And if you are already in western Mass (I did a four-year stint at Deerfield Academy), there is always the option of heading west to pick up ACA's Northern Tier route and then Pacific Coast route to Seattle. Not as storied as the TransAm, but a nice ride that includes Glacier National Park and the North Cascades Highway.
Old 03-08-16, 12:21 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
My suggestion for anyone doing a charity ride is to have all contributions go to a reputable charity, not to the individual doing the ride. If you want others to support your cause, put your money where your mouth is, and raise money for the trip from your own sources. When done funding your expenses, only then you should ask others to support your cause.
Old 03-08-16, 12:34 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bicycle365
Links to donations page is frowned upon here generally. FYI
+1. I looked at the page. He's asking for donations to fund the trip, so no one should expect a tax deduction.

Interestingly, there was some discussion in another thread about the tax implications to the donee. Someone posted a link to a "white paper" that indicated the IRS might consider funds donated for purpose of defraying daily trip expenses as taxable income. To date, it doesn't seem the IRS has offered much guidance on the subject.
Old 03-08-16, 12:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Buy your own stuff son. Get A JOB.

Only if the charity you are shilling for has a 501 c3 status and the donations Go directly to them, can the Donor hope to get a deduction.

But there are many "charities" that spend a lot of the money coming in on themselves and little if any actually goes to those in need

'They' spent donations for Haitian Earthquake relief to build A Hotel and still the population lives in Tents made of Plastic tarps.
Old 03-08-16, 01:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Hello everyone,

Currently, I am starting from western massachusetts and getting onto the atlantic route in connecticut. I was then going to follow the route given to me by adventurecycling.org. I was then going to switch onto the Trans-america to oregon.

Help support my bicycle trip across country! I will be spreading awareness for genetic diseases and pushing my limits on the bicycle summer of 2017.

AARON'S ADVENTURE - Home

1- Our son died from a recessive genetic disease shortly after birth. I mention this only because of anyone, I would be part of the target audience wanting you to accomplish this ride. And yet...
2- Use your own money to have an adventure after college. Dont disguise this as an effort to spread the word of genetic diseases.
a- Its 2016, people are aware of genetics and genetic diseases. I can confidently say that every adult I know has heard of Down Syndrome. Adding in commonly discussed diseases such as CF, Celiac, and Sickle Cell means a large number of adults and children are well aware of genetic disease.
b- If your goal is to inform as many people as possible, I would think spending 2 weeks in Boston handing out flyers would reach 900x more people than riding alone across the country over the span of a couple months.
3- If you want to make an impact and raise awareness for genetic diseases, find out how to work/volunteer with NORD or Global Genes. Find out how to involve your community in Rare Disease Day.

Why would someone who is not related to you donate money so you can ride a bike when that same money could be donated directly to an advocacy group for a specific disease or to one of the awareness non-profits listed above?
You should answer that question on your site since anyone with any sense will immediately ask themselves that when they see you are asking for them to fund your vacation.
Old 03-08-16, 02:15 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- Our son died from a recessive genetic disease shortly after birth. I mention this only because of anyone, I would be part of the target audience wanting you to accomplish this ride. And yet...
2- Use your own money to have an adventure after college. Dont disguise this as an effort to spread the word of genetic diseases.
a- Its 2016, people are aware of genetics and genetic diseases. I can confidently say that every adult I know has heard of Down Syndrome. Adding in commonly discussed diseases such as CF, Celiac, and Sickle Cell means a large number of adults and children are well aware of genetic disease.
b- If your goal is to inform as many people as possible, I would think spending 2 weeks in Boston handing out flyers would reach 900x more people than riding alone across the country over the span of a couple months.
3- If you want to make an impact and raise awareness for genetic diseases, find out how to work/volunteer with NORD or Global Genes. Find out how to involve your community in Rare Disease Day.

Why would someone who is not related to you donate money so you can ride a bike when that same money could be donated directly to an advocacy group for a specific disease or to one of the awareness non-profits listed above?
You should answer that question on your site since anyone with any sense will immediately ask themselves that when they see you are asking for them to fund your vacation.
Well put in every sense. The "raise awareness" angle made me go "Huh?" What, exactly, will the OP be doing to "raise awareness," especially when he will be riding his bike most of the day and often passing through smaller communities?

I used to do a lot of bike-related volunteer work for the National MS Society. One official from the local chapter told me that, good intentions aside, people biking to raise awareness about the disease were often a drain on the society's resources because they would do thing like request that the society set up press conferences or arrange for news coverage. As Bob notes, riding a bike for a cause is not as big a deal as it used to be.
Old 03-08-16, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Going to Haul a lap top computer a Projector and be ready to Give Lectures in every town you come to ?
Old 03-08-16, 02:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I used to do a lot of bike-related volunteer work for the National MS Society. One official from the local chapter told me that, good intentions aside, people biking to raise awareness about the disease were often a drain on the society's resources because they would do thing like request that the society set up press conferences or arrange for news coverage. As Bob notes, riding a bike for a cause is not as big a deal as it used to be.
Ive heard the same thing from our local MS office as well as the regional office in Minnesota. I work with both because my company is a sponsor for the local yearly MS ride so I get lumped into the committee due to knowing how to move my legs in a circle while balancing.
The MS group rides can be good to great ways to raise money, but individual accomplishment rides can consume more time and resources than they deem worthwhile when compared to the coverage/benefit.
Old 03-08-16, 02:33 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

AARON'S ADVENTURE - Home
You haven't asked a meaningful question. You're just posting a link to raise funds.
Old 03-08-16, 02:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Ha ha ha- I just saw this on his site.

[h=2]Donate and receive a personal thank you from Aaron himself.[/h]

Well then, if I am going to get a personal 'thank you' from him, then its for sure worth giving him money for a vacation!
Old 03-08-16, 02:47 PM
aaronadventure

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies!
I was not expecting much of a response, so i am glad to have all your inputs.
I will check crazyguyonabike for trip experiences.

I needed funds for supplies, such as a bike for travel, camping supplies, bike gear, food, etc.
Since i am a degree in biology I have a good understanding of the genetics and a member of my family has MS, I decided to support genetic research.

Since I am certain that I will be riding across country, and I am certain that I want to support genetics research in some way,
Does any have any suggestions on better ways to support the research while also receiving funding for my trip.
Ill can ride with flyers, I could ride with a sign, I could stop and give speeches.
Old 03-08-16, 03:05 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies!
I was not expecting much of a response, so i am glad to have all your inputs.
I will check crazyguyonabike for trip experiences.

I needed funds for supplies, such as a bike for travel, camping supplies, bike gear, food, etc.
Since i am a degree in biology I have a good understanding of the genetics and a member of my family has MS, I decided to support genetic research.

Since I am certain that I will be riding across country, and I am certain that I want to support genetics research in some way,
Does any have any suggestions on better ways to support the research while also receiving funding for my trip.
Ill can ride with flyers, I could ride with a sign, I could stop and give speeches.
MS is not a genetic disorder so I don't know if that meets your criteria or not but since you have a relative with MS the organized fundraising ride across america may be of interest.

Bike the US for MS | Welcome!
Old 03-08-16, 03:27 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Since i am a degree in biology I have a good understanding of the genetics and a member of my family has MS, I decided to support genetic research.......

I'd suggest getting a job (you have over a year), take out a loan, or borrow the funds from your parents to pay for your trip. Expecting people to fund your gear and your "after graduation" vacation, seems a little questionable.

There would be more bang for the buck if donors just sent money to a reputable charity rather than buy your bike, food, and gear.

When I was in grad school, we were actually required to take an ethics course.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-08-16 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 03:34 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
+1. I looked at the page. He's asking for donations to fund the trip, so no one should expect a tax deduction.

Interestingly, there was some discussion in another thread about the tax implications to the donee. Someone posted a link to a "white paper" that indicated the IRS might consider funds donated for purpose of defraying daily trip expenses as taxable income. To date, it doesn't seem the IRS has offered much guidance on the subject.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
…The MS group rides can be good to great ways to raise money, but individual accomplishment rides can consume more time and resources than they deem worthwhile when compared to the coverage/benefit.
Nice replies, all you above curmudgeons. I posted to this thread on the General Cycling Forum, ”Little rant: I hate charity events...”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’ve read that the reason such organized athletic events as Charity Rides, Swims and Runs are popular is because the value of the benefit received by the participant (donor) is near zero, and thus the entire donation is tax-deductible [if eligible, to the donor/participant]. For example if one attends a gala fundraising dinner, the cost of the dinner is not tax-deductible….

Here in Massachusetts the premier fund-raising Ride with an expected donation of around at least about $3500 is the Pan Massachusetts Challenge (Pan-Mass, PMC), about 150 miles in two days to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. They do take your credit card number before the Ride. It may well be the largest such event in total donations. When anyone finds out I'm a cyclist, they usually ask “Do you do the Pan-Mass?
Originally Posted by Doug64
…My wife and I did a tour from Oregon that ended in Boston. We simply rode US Highway 20 as much as possible. It is the longest contiguous, coast-to-coast highway in the U.S…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
094.jpg (98.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-08-16, 04:05 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I think the OP could do more for curing genetic diseases if he used his biology degree and worked for a research institution doing work in that field.

I've ridden portions of his proposed route and there aren't that many people along it, which is why it is pretty good route for cycling. So you aren't going to educate many people about your cause. Furthermore, most of the people along the route have seen lots of transcontinental cyclists, so it's no big deal for them.

I'm someone who never understood the concept of charity rides.
Old 03-08-16, 04:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by ironwood
I'm someone who never understood the concept of charity rides.
I do a couple of them each year and enjoy them. Its a social ride though and thats why I enjoy it. Getting together with a bunch of coworkers and spouses or with a group of friends to ride is the appealing part. Admittedly, I raise the bare minimum each year because I cant bring myself to spam facebook and elsewhere just to ask people to donate to a cause so I can ride 50mi in a day while stopping at a couple of bars along the way.
Old 03-08-16, 05:35 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I have an engineering degree, and as such am not the best in writing or grammar. So, I should not throw stones, but from reading Aaron's website, he needs to get an English major to help him re-work the site. Basically, it is poorly written in my opinion with many grammatical errors.
Old 03-08-16, 06:00 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Hey Aaron,
I was thinking of riding my bicycle across the country to raise awareness of....... bicycle touring and the health benefit (or at least that I might benefit anyway). I even have my own bike, tent, gear and accessories, I just need a few bucks for food, camping, the occasional hotel, a massage now and then, etc.
Anyone care to donate?
(I am counting on a few here that would be more than happy not to have to read my ridiculous posts for a couple months)
Old 03-08-16, 06:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Completely unrelated to this thread, and I will delete this message shortly, but @indyfabz, your presence is requested in Foo.

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/104390...l#post18589746
Old 03-08-16, 06:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
So you want people to pay for your holiday?

Crowdfunding should do it for you ... or you could do it the way the rest of us do and get a job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.