Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Interacting with dogs while riding

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Interacting with dogs while riding

Old 04-28-21, 09:48 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The nice thing about pepper spray is that dogs can carry it back to the owners where it will still be effective.
That's

It's the owners that really need to be peppered sprayed
Likes For work4bike:
Old 04-28-21, 02:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about the dog off leash threads this morning, and realized that they have all degenerated into people from places where there aren't many such dogs lecturing people who ride in areas where there are a lot of them about how they should calm down and not worry about it.

Where I live and ride, I almost never see loose dogs. The last one that attacked me weighed about 4 pounds and came at me from a right angle while I was climbing a hill. She had just escaped out the front door. I felt pretty good that I didn't run her over, but stopped and yelled at her so she wouldn't be tempted to do it again. She ran right straight into the house. I think her owner who was tripping over himself to apologize appreciated it. Overall, almost as funny as being attacked by a groundhog while riding.
Old 04-28-21, 03:52 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
One thing that always works is to be faster than the dog.
Just fast enough so the dog can keep up and follow you until the owner can't see it anymore. Then tie it somewhere.
Old 04-28-21, 04:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Just fast enough so the dog can keep up and follow you until the owner can't see it anymore. Then tie it somewhere.
I know you are joking, but...I never blame a dog for its own bad behavior - especially for chasing cyclists. These things result from bad dog owners.

I once had a real problem with a dog on one of my regular routes, and my main concern was that it would get hit by a car while running out in the road to chase me. I ultimately called the Sheriff's department, and asked them to have a chat with the homeowner. I never had another problem with the dog.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-29-21, 03:25 PM
Hericann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Scream "STAY" so dogs will know that you are angry with them. If it's hard of hearing, raise your hand threateningly as if it contains a rock.
Old 04-29-21, 04:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Hericann
Scream "STAY" so dogs will know that you are angry with them. If it's hard of hearing, raise your hand threateningly as if it contains a rock.
Since most dogs have never had rocks thrown at them (hopefully), I don't think that part will have any effect. Dogs have to learn such things.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-01-21, 07:18 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I am a dog lover with a very low opinion of irresponsible dog owners. Pepper spray is illegal in Australia. I wonder what I could put in my spare bidon that would be more of a deterrent than mere water. I'm thinking lemon juice? We have a a steady trickle of horrific dog attacks in Australia.
Old 05-01-21, 10:15 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Since most dogs have never had rocks thrown at them (hopefully), I don't think that part will have any effect. Dogs have to learn such things.
It depends where you are. Where I am, dogs are not controlled like in many other parts of the world. Most people get harassed by dogs at some time. Most people throw rocks and other things at dogs. They try to hit them, and often do. Not every part of the world is the same. The first step to dealing with this, would be to round up stray dogs. But they don't.
Old 05-02-21, 05:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Had another small dog "attack" yesterday. Little yappy terrier caught me and was running next to my bike on the left. This was on a curved road where I was worried the stupid little thing was asking to get run over. I got off of the bike and tried to scare the dog over to the right side of the road. Then I saw a rather desperate 11 year old boy running up the road with a leash so I told him what I was doing. The dog got excited as he ran up and promptly ran across the street to attack a moving SUV. Fortunately, the driver saw him, stopped the vehicle, and got out and tried to help by corralling the dog. This took a couple minutes, and I was holding up the cars on my side of the road. The kid finally got the dog on the leash, but only with about 5 cars in both directions being stopped. Terriers are surprisingly hard to catch.
Old 05-02-21, 05:15 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
I am a dog lover with a very low opinion of irresponsible dog owners. Pepper spray is illegal in Australia. I wonder what I could put in my spare bidon that would be more of a deterrent than mere water. I'm thinking lemon juice? We have a a steady trickle of horrific dog attacks in Australia.
Oil?
Vinegar?
Bleach?
Ammonia?
Soap?
Windshield fluid?
Old 05-02-21, 05:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Oil?
Vinegar?
Bleach?
Ammonia?
Soap?
Windshield fluid?

Ammonia is pretty mean, but bleach might even be criminal. Windshield fluid might be both toxic and taste good to the dog,really bad choice.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-21, 06:46 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I just use my bear spray... 2 times in the last 20 years... worked fantastic... The other thing that also seems to work fantastic/ pretty good,, is yelling NO. NO, No, go home.... Most dogs seem to understand the word NO... JMO
Old 05-02-21, 09:23 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
Pepper spray is illegal in Australia...
Sweet .... all.

Put some of this in a bottle diluted quite a bit with water.

Garlic-Habanero hot sauce
Old 05-03-21, 06:41 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Hericann
I respect your right to share this method. I did ask for input. But this is exactly the rider's reaction I am advocating against and that I'm hoping to avoid because I have never seen it work. Shouting at dogs excite them. In my experience, some people shout at dogs that ultimately tire and return home and the cyclist mistakenly thinks the shouting was effective.
Old 05-03-21, 06:47 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
I just use my bear spray... 2 times in the last 20 years... worked fantastic... The other thing that also seems to work fantastic/ pretty good,, is yelling NO. NO, No, go home.... Most dogs seem to understand the word NO... JMO
I respect your right to share this method. I did ask for input. But yelling at the dog is exactly the rider's reaction I am advocating against and that I'm hoping to avoid because I have never seen it work. Shouting at dogs excite them. In my experience, some people shout at dogs that ultimately tire and return home and the cyclist mistakenly thinks the shouting was effective.
Old 05-03-21, 07:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
When a dog leaves their yard, they perceive themselves as top dog and defending "theirs". They're not viewing you as a cute fun training scenario or opportunity to play. They're defending their family the way their moron family taught them to do.

Between animals, there's the alpha. If you present yourself as a weakling, the alpha feels empowered.

Never pre-emptively yell where you think dogs are. They'll hear you coming, but that delay may be enough that you ride by. They just hear you sooner being an idiot. Next, if they are on approach already......sorry but becoming the alpha is a priority. Being dominant and confident. Whether that's voice or stature. The water bottle squirt is good, but if you're doomed for an interaction the bike is a good fence. Then, if legal.....some pepper spray.

Animals interact on the dominance thing. If you act like a mamby pamby they'll sense that and you're toast.

If you're on routes you know a dog has you up a hill.......IMO if you care THAT much about the route then you need to get in contact with law enforcement in advance. It's legal to defend yourself in most US places with force. A neighbor lady carried a personal protective device in her jersey. I've no doubt if a big enough dog tried to corner her she'd use it. We've in NC had several instances of a pet sitter killed by the dog they're pet sitting. It's not some cutesy interaction. It could be your life.

Just always start at the lowest end of the scale of countermeasures, don't go fully crazy instantly.

Last edited by burnthesheep; 05-03-21 at 10:12 AM. Reason: No guns.
Old 05-03-21, 07:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
When a dog leaves their yard, they perceive themselves as top dog and defending "theirs". They're not viewing you as a cute fun training scenario or opportunity to play. They're defending their family the way their moron family taught them to do.

Between animals, there's the alpha. If you present yourself as a weakling, the alpha feels empowered.

Never pre-emptively yell where you think dogs are. They'll hear you coming, but that delay may be enough that you ride by. They just hear you sooner being an idiot. Next, if they are on approach already......sorry but becoming the alpha is a priority. Being dominant and confident. Whether that's voice or stature. The water bottle squirt is good, but if you're doomed for an interaction the bike is a good fence. Then, if legal.....some pepper spray.

Animals interact on the dominance thing. If you act like a mamby pamby they'll sense that and you're toast.

If you're on routes you know a dog has you up a hill.......IMO if you care THAT much about the route then you need to get in contact with law enforcement in advance. It's legal to defend yourself in most US places with force. A neighbor lady carried a pistol in her jersey, licensed and trained. I've no doubt if a big enough dog tried to corner her she'd kill it. We've in NC had several instances of a pet sitter killed by the dog they're pet sitting. It's not some cutesy interaction. It could be your life.

Just always start at the lowest end of the scale of countermeasures, don't go fully crazy instantly.

I don't think you're correct about it always being the alpha dog thing--in my experience, lots of dogs chase because they really want to race. The threat to me in that situation is they're either going to get hit by a passing car or screw up and go under my wheel.

Ixnay on the gun talk, by the way. It's a forum rule.
Old 05-03-21, 08:31 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
I don't think there is any one 'sure fire' method of stopping a chasing dog. Every dog reacts differently.
I have had many dogs give chase. Some will run along the edge of their yard, but never come out in the street. They are just 'protecting their territory'. Ride on past them.
Some will charge, and stop if you yell at them (Bad Dog! Go Home!). The funniest version of this type was when I pointed and yelled "SIT!" and the dog just stopped, sat, and had this dumb look as if to say "okay, where's my treat?" as I rode off.
I've tried the get-off-and-put-the-bike-between-you method, but sometimes, it just doesn't work. The dog sits there and tries it's best to get to you. Unless the owner comes out to control the dog, sooner or later you're going to have to deal with it. Oh, and then there's the owners who come out and yell "He won't bite!", to which I reply, "Yeah, and my lawyer won't sue you into bankruptcy, either."
And then there is the dog (or worse yet, dogs) who view you as a meal and will chase you down in the road until one of you tires out, or it bites you. I use pepper spray for them. Just make sure there is no one riding behind you that may catch some of it, and you know which way the wind is blowing!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-03-21, 09:03 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think you're correct about it always being the alpha dog thing--in my experience, lots of dogs chase because they really want to race. The threat to me in that situation is they're either going to get hit by a passing car or screw up and go under my wheel.

Ixnay on the gun talk, by the way. It's a forum rule.
Okie. If so I kindly request an update to the forum FAQ/Rules page, as it ain't in there. No issues with doing as I'm told, just have issues with expectations that aren't published. I've attended forums before where they had an explicit clause listing the forbidden references. It shouldn't have to be through the grapevine of posts, it should be easy to find and see.

It's a bit tiresome seeing the replies from folks "don't post about guns" or "don't post about xyz". If so........then publish it in the FAQ. I can't randomly guess what triggers folks OR what posting rules folks MIGHT want to have in place. Just put it in print.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...ad-please.html
Old 05-03-21, 09:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Okie. If so I kindly request an update to the forum FAQ/Rules page, as it ain't in there. No issues with doing as I'm told, just have issues with expectations that aren't published. I've attended forums before where they had an explicit clause listing the forbidden references. It shouldn't have to be through the grapevine of posts, it should be easy to find and see.

It's a bit tiresome seeing the replies from folks "don't post about guns" or "don't post about xyz". If so........then publish it in the FAQ. I can't randomly guess what triggers folks OR what posting rules folks MIGHT want to have in place. Just put it in print.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...ad-please.html
You're just plain wrong here. It's definitively stated in the forum rules: "gun discussion and illegal personal drug use are not allowed in the open public forum."

https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

If you don't feel explicitly stating it in the faq is sufficient notice, take it up with the management:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21988560-post3.html

I won't bore you with the scores of posts from mods on this exact same issue and trust that one example should suffice.

ETA: I checked, and you posted a link to an outdated version of the rules that was posted when the website went down. It's from 2014, and has been updated since then. My link is to the current rules.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-03-21 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-03-21, 10:10 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

You're just plain wrong here. It's definitively stated in the forum rules: "gun discussion and illegal personal drug use are not allowed in the open public forum."

https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

If you don't feel explicitly stating it in the faq is sufficient notice, take it up with the management:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21988560-post3.html

I won't bore you with the scores of posts from mods on this exact same issue and trust that one example should suffice.
Last sentence, I used CTRL-F just now to find it.

Despite thoroughly disagreeing with the sentiment, I'll follow it.
Old 05-03-21, 10:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

A neighbor lady carried a personal protective device in her jersey. I've no doubt if a big enough dog tried to corner her she'd use it.
How's this?
Old 05-03-21, 10:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Last sentence, I used CTRL-F just now to find it.

Despite thoroughly disagreeing with the sentiment, I'll follow it.

TBH, I think BF is to blame for your confusion. Your reply crossed with my edit--you linked to a sticky posting of the rules that hasn't been updated since 2014, since it is labelled as all member should read thread, it should be current. I don't think you should be blamed for thinking it was accurate.
Old 05-03-21, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

How's this?

Don't think you should care if I approve or don't approve, ask a mod.
Old 05-03-21, 10:35 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Don't think you should care if I approve or don't approve, ask a mod.
Fair enough.

Yeah, my original beef was resolved with the new link.

I'm just used to lists for stuff like that. Like:
-No sports news spoilers within 24 hours
-No guns
-The following repeat topics are in the FAQ, so do not repost them: blah, blah blah

I had to ctrl-F to get to that last sentence. Lazy me not reading it really slow. I just like a list as it is very concise and to the point.

A suggestion could be also add it to the cussword filter. If you see a filtered word, it becomes a "clue". I'd go "hmmm, why'd it do that", then investigate and update accordingly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.