Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Even though you are 50+, Bicycling and Fit, are you still Snow Shovelling?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-11-21, 03:39 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

Snow Shovelling is supposed to be the Bane of our age group.
I'm close to 60. We don't get a lot of snow in the Pacific Northwest. Two years ago however we had some heavy snowfall. I dug our cars out, and helped the lady across the street. It wasn't strenuous.
The reason I'm mentioning this is I might try it again this year if we get heavy snow, but when I'm 65, I won't?
My take on Snow Shovelling, which could be wrong, is that it involves a different type of fitness that Bicycling gives you. It's more like Cross Fit, with intense sudden muscular movements using large amounts of strength rather than the rhythmic steady state exercise we get.
Actually I'm sticking this out there as an open question .
Anyone got any thoughts?
Only idea I have is if you get to it as soon as it falls, and skim shovel powder 1 or 2 inches at a time, it's okay

Last edited by 5 mph; 01-11-21 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 03:48 PM
cficole

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Cruiser, 1995 Trek 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've played basketball and hockey into my 60s, and never worried about snow shoveling.
Likes For cficole:
Old 01-11-21, 04:47 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
We think nothing of going out and riding for 3-4 hrs but when the snow hits we want to get it cleared in 30 min. If you just relax and take your time it can be more of an aerobic workout, kind of like eating an elephant...
Likes For gregf83:
Old 01-11-21, 05:18 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
On an average winter around here, snow falls almost every second day... 2" or 4" or even 6" sometimes twice in one day... So snow shoveling, is part of winter exersise, like bike riding almost every day in the summer... If you have trouble with 2" of fluffy snow, don't shovel, get a snow-blower. JMO as I have been thinking of getting one for the last two winters every time more than 4" falls...
Old 01-11-21, 05:20 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Snow shoveling is a great work out; beats doing weights indoors.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-11-21, 05:21 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Haven't had to shovel much snow since moving to KY. But when we lived in MD, was still in my 50's, we had a storm which dumped 3 FEET of snow. Started on a Friday night and ended on a Sunday. My wife and I hand shoveled a 160 foot driveway. Went out about every hour or so, as it was coming down so fast. Survived it then, no ill effects. I have shoveled 6" or so of snow in my 60's. But don't want to have to shovel another 3 foot snowstorm anytime soon! Even if I was in my 40's.
Old 01-11-21, 05:46 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'll be 75 next month, and shovel snow whenever it falls..... Do many of my older neighbors, as well. Six, in all!

I'm afraid to figure out how many square feet I shovel, as my wife would kill me!
Old 01-11-21, 06:13 PM
5 mph

Nietzsche said something like "If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger".
Is that everyone's thinking?
When I find the time I'll post a video of a hill I climb with my SS bike. I dont see many over 60 try it, even with the small chain ring. Most dismount and walk.
Most here will do it easily, more easily than me but is it worth the 170 HR I get the last segment?
Thats what got me thinking about this topic.
When and what age is the right time to show good judgment?

Last edited by 5 mph; 01-11-21 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 06:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Yes.
Old 01-11-21, 06:18 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by GlennR
Yes.
Thats because you have a good son.
Old 01-11-21, 06:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Thats because you have a good son.
My son has his own house on a private road. Luckily his neighbor has a plow and clears the area for him.

I have a rather steep driveway that's not very long so a snow blower would never get traction.

I've dug out many a driveway.
Old 01-11-21, 06:39 PM
northernjeep

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
I am closer to 70 than 60 and yes I still shovel snow. Most years we get a lot. Not so far this year though. I like to be smart about it though, a scoop that slides for most of it and fire up the snowblower for any amounts over 5 inches deep. Plus I frequently stop to take a look around and let the heart rate slow a bit. I follow that last bit when out on my fat bike on the winter trails as well.
Old 01-11-21, 06:48 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Yes , I consider it exercise . Only two light snows this year. We are famous for our white powder here. Some times it come heavy and wet though.
Old 01-11-21, 06:57 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Not much. We have a Subaru and park just off a plowed road, so not much there. We usually just drive off. We have about 20' to walk between the car and the door, so not much there, either. Plus this is the PNW and I can't remember the last time I shoveled. My wife says that's why she doesn't live in Massachusetts anymore, no shoveling, no falling on the ice. She's joking of course. It's me, me all the way. .
Old 01-11-21, 09:40 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
I still shovel snow. After shoulder injuries that restrict my ability to fling snow from a traditional shovel, I have been using a wheeled shovel. I can clear my driveway and sidewalk faster than my snowblower-enabled neighbors can, and don't have to deal with fuel or starter issues.
Old 01-11-21, 11:51 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts
Nietzsche said something like "If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger".
Is that everyone's thinking?
That quote is funny to me because my wife says it frequently! Being in my late 50's in Minnesota it can be a frequent occurrence!
I hop on my John Deere 322 with the snowblower attachment for about 2 hours to clear it all, but pay for it dearly in back pain for hours afterwards. Snow shovel the concrete driveways for another half hour or so. I have come to the realization that you need to move more the older I get. So walking, cycling and yes snow shoveling is part of the journey.

All the Best!
TJ

Last edited by tjfastback66; 01-11-21 at 11:52 PM. Reason: SP
Old 01-12-21, 12:40 AM
5 mph

Thanks, I don't mind option 2 , but for the time being at least , I'm not embracing option 1.
Old 01-12-21, 05:11 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm 63 and have enjoyed shoveling snow until 3-4 years ago when we started getting all of our snow in 6"- 1 foot or higher dumps instead of a larger number of polite 1-2" events. Houses in my neighborhood all have long driveways and side load garages with large parking pads - and I have a frail, elderly neighbor that I also would shovel out.

So, I bought a snow blower and since then we haven't had any snow that accumulated enough to shovel or get out the SnoGrowler 5000XL. So, the investment paid off.
Old 01-12-21, 06:15 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Shoveling is the devil. Snow isn't a big deal for me, but having to shovel grain can take a toll. I had an "expert" once tell me that shoveling is an unnatural activity and for back reasons, we should never do it. Easier said than done on the farm. But good advice to avoid volumes of it when mechanical means are possible.
Old 01-12-21, 06:58 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Shoveling snow is as normal as mowing the lawn (for me).
I don't have a problem with either but when it comes to snow the trick is to have at least 2 different types of shovels. One designed to Push and one designed to Lift/Carry.
The most important thing to remember is "It's not a Race"....at least for me pushing 61.
Old 01-12-21, 07:59 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I’m in Wisconsin and I shovel most of the driveway and all of the walks by hand. Most neighbors have a service or a snowblower. Shoveling does a much better job and I control the timetable. However, if a big snow event hits, I’ll clear the driveway and walks within 20 feet of the house and then flag down a plow that’s in the neighborhood to do the lower 3/4 of the driveway.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-12-21 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-12-21, 10:03 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Pittsburgh had a very snowy December and some of it was heavy wet snow over 6" deep; January not so bad. Other winters, it's just powdery snow a couple inches at a time. I'd guess we average 40" of snow a winter.

Our driveway is probably over 200 ft. I'm 63 now and have shoveled this since 1990. For the last couple of winters I've thought about getting a snow blower, but I don't have a good place to keep it (no garage). By the end of the winter, I forget about it and then the process starts all over when the first snow hits. This might be my last winter with the shovel though - I've had a few heart palpation times and now have a cardiologist. I mentioned I shovel and he didn't say "don't." I guess we'll see.
Old 01-12-21, 10:49 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
At 60 I still shovel my driveway and sidewalks and often do the parents driveways too. Sometimes, I will speed shovel for several minutes and then take a 30-60 second break to recover and resume. I figure it keeps me young.

In the non-winter months I push a non self propelled mower on the lawn, even though it takes almost an hour and a half to complete. I refuse to buy a self propelled or riding mower (or snow blower) at this time because I'd rather continue getting the benefits of the exercise. My plan is to continue doing these things as long as I can to help slow my physical deterioration. I figure if you stop doing something soon you won't be able to do it.
Old 01-12-21, 10:59 AM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
We moved from Canada to NJ to NC to Fl. Problem solved.
Old 01-12-21, 11:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Snow Shovelling is supposed to be the Bane of our age group.
I'm close to 60. We don't get a lot of snow in the Pacific Northwest. Two years ago however we had some heavy snowfall. I dug our cars out, and helped the lady across the street. It wasn't strenuous.
The reason I'm mentioning this is I might try it again this year if we get heavy snow, but when I'm 65, I won't?
My take on Snow Shovelling, which could be wrong, is that it involves a different type of fitness that Bicycling gives you. It's more like Cross Fit, with intense sudden muscular movements using large amounts of strength rather than the rhythmic steady state exercise we get.
Actually I'm sticking this out there as an open question .
Anyone got any thoughts?
Only idea I have is if you get to it as soon as it falls, and skim shovel powder 1 or 2 inches at a time, it's okay
Hmmm------------I am 82 and still shovel snow, and get on the roof to clean out the dryer vent. I also still change my own oil in the car. In fact I still pretty much do anything I always have done. And yes I am well blessed for my age, and as I have posted else where I contribute my good health to my continuing to ride.
Likes For rydabent:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.