Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 08:13 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Crunchy sounds + sideplay?
no sideplay that i can detect but crunchy sounds. lasted a year of heavy use, so i guess that's normal for pf30.
Old 03-31-16, 08:17 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
There is no rule that I am aware of, only that your bar end must be plugged. However as I have explained in the past, if a referee feels that it gives the rider an unfair advantage or is a safety issue, they can ask that it be removed.

I have a similar mirror on both of my bikes now, an Italian one that has a glass lens. It goes under the bar tape though so it's not removable. It's been a game changer for me with my vision issues. It makes road riding, especially in a pace line, much safer.
I 'm glad that helps you. I saw the model you had and selected this slightly heavier one as it does unplug and adjust. Junior can cover both sides with one mirror - leaving the other bar available for a bell :-)

Off topic rules, touchy feeling stuff:
I think but the "unfair advantage" is one that I have never seen enforced properly in cycling (or soccer). There may be an advantage, but it is not unfair if others have the same opportunity to legally use it. If they didn't know about it, or chose not to use it, or couldn't afford it, it does not become unfair, from a cycling rules perspective. I see affordability as an issue, just not for referees to deal with.

This is a @20 mirror.
Old 03-31-16, 08:19 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by mike868y
no sideplay that i can detect but crunchy sounds. lasted a year of heavy use, so i guess that's normal for pf30.
I just have to change the bearing each season. If ceramic, more often. Daniel saw the pro mechanics hosing the bike, so he got into it.
It does contribute to crunch.
Old 03-31-16, 08:58 AM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I saw one of those at the driveway thursday, in matte black. I would personally never dare to race on one of those, due to murphy's law.
I normally don't worry much about crunching a frame, but I gave this one some thought before taking it out to the Driveway just 6 days after building it up. There were 2 wrecks in the first 5 minutes of the 3/4 race and I kept thinking "just get through week one and Murphy will go away after that". It was fine and I'm just not going to stress about it. I can't see having a bike like this and not racing it.

As a long-time Specialized fan, I must say I'm pretty impressed with Trek. I did the "project 1" program where you can customize the bike. With the paint I picked (matte white, minimal logos), it only cost me $100 more than a standard "non-custom" frame. It took me less than 3 weeks to take delivery. You also have the opportunity to pick from different seatpost setback and handlebar width and reach (since there is no separate stem). I'm not sure whether that's part of buying a standard frame or not, but it's something you certainly want to get right. If your reach is off, you are looking at $600 to buy a new "stem" (ie complete handlebar). The bike is extremely well thought out and assembly was surprisingly easy with all the integrated stuff and internal cabling.
Old 03-31-16, 09:52 AM
Doge

Physics / Math experiance guessing required. Junior is doing this course: Stage 3 - Redlands Bicycle Classic - Redlands, CA
We are not tied to any brand. I'm not 100% UCI bike dimensions apply, but I think they do.

My thinking is focus on uphill as that is where most time will be spent. Downhill, much will be coasting as his junior gears can't pedal well 45mph +.

Bike is Shiv, 11spd.
Wheels...these are ready to ride weights, tires cassettes. I am avoiding brand name for current and ex sponsors although on our own here.

Rear:
Road wheel - 50mm profile, 25mm wide, 25mm silks 24h, super coaster ceramic bearings - 1020g
Vintage XWind tri-spoke 22 wide - 1270g
Modern disc flat - Ceramic bearing - 1350g
Modern disc not flat - 1660g

Front
Road wheel match to Rear - 20h - 800g
Modern Trispoke - 1140g
Vintage trispoke - 970g

I'm thinking double vintage tri-spoke or road wheels. Leaning double tri.

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-16, 10:09 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Physics / Math experiance guessing required. Junior is doing this course: Stage 3 - Redlands Bicycle Classic - Redlands, CA
We are not tied to any brand. I'm not 100% UCI bike dimensions apply, but I think they do.

My thinking is focus on uphill as that is where most time will be spent. Downhill, much will be coasting as his junior gears can't pedal well 45mph +.

Bike is Shiv, 11spd.
Wheels...these are ready to ride weights, tires cassettes. I am avoiding brand name for current and ex sponsors although on our own here.

Rear:
Road wheel - 50mm profile, 25mm wide, 25mm silks 24h, super coaster ceramic bearings - 1020g
Vintage XWind tri-spoke 22 wide - 1270g
Modern disc flat - Ceramic bearing - 1350g
Modern disc not flat - 1660g

Front
Road wheel match to Rear - 20h - 800g
Modern Trispoke - 1140g
Vintage trispoke - 970g

I'm thinking double vintage tri-spoke or road wheels. Leaning double tri.

Thoughts?
If windy I'd go Rear : Modern disc Flat Front : Road wheel match
If not windy I'd go Rear : Modern disc flat Front : Vintage Trispoke
Old 03-31-16, 10:33 AM
Doge

Think I agree. Except that Vintage (Nibble Crosswind) handles wind very well. I just learned the road is bad, so wondering about wider profile tires.

Why have TTs on bad roads?
Old 03-31-16, 01:32 PM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Old, pre-dimple Zipp.
HED said I could ride it, but that they would probably warranty it if I want. I really like this company.
Old 03-31-16, 04:34 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Think I agree. Except that Vintage (Nibble Crosswind) handles wind very well. I just learned the road is bad, so wondering about wider profile tires.

Why have TTs on bad roads?
because they are empty...but I agree.
Old 03-31-16, 08:25 PM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grwoolf
I normally don't worry much about crunching a frame, but I gave this one some thought before taking it out to the Driveway just 6 days after building it up. There were 2 wrecks in the first 5 minutes of the 3/4 race and I kept thinking "just get through week one and Murphy will go away after that". It was fine and I'm just not going to stress about it. I can't see having a bike like this and not racing it.
I spoke too soon. Murphy raised his head tonight. Went down hard at 30+mph on the last lap tonight. Race was strung out and I was near the front (should have been safe), guy went down across the road right in front of me. I have no idea what happened and I didn't have a chance. My head broke my fall, helmet looks like it was put in a vise. Surprisingly little road rash but my head looks like mike tyson's face from the helmet bruises. Some bike damage, but frame is fine. Could have been much worse for me and the bike.
Old 03-31-16, 08:57 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch, @grwoolf, that's a bummer. Hope you heal up soon and it's nothing too serious. You get checked for a concussion?
Old 03-31-16, 09:03 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heal up.
Old 03-31-16, 09:22 PM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Ouch, @grwoolf, that's a bummer. Hope you heal up soon and it's nothing too serious. You get checked for a concussion?
Thanks man, I think I'll just be sore for a bit. EMT's checked me out.
Old 03-31-16, 09:54 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
did it happen around the last incline right before you get into the turns? I heard something happened over there. I got taken down there once when some guy tried to bomb the corner through the track kerb, lost his wheel, and took 4 of us down with him.

depending on circumstances, I might be there next week.
Old 04-01-16, 11:08 AM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did it happen around the last incline right before you get into the turns? I heard something happened over there. I got taken down there once when some guy tried to bomb the corner through the track kerb, lost his wheel, and took 4 of us down with him.

depending on circumstances, I might be there next week.
Yep, that was the spot. I heard there were multiple wrecks at that same spot last night.

I ended up in the Emergency room until 3am after my headache was getting more intense/dizzy and I was bleeding in my sinus cavity (sign of possible brain bleeding). After CT scan, etc., the dr. said it was just concussion/hematomas and some damage in the sinus cavity from the impact. I wasted a night and unknown $'s at the ER, but I figured the head stuff isn't something you want to mess with.

Funniest part was when I walked into the ER at midnight (holding my helmet), the guys asks "are you another one from the bike race"? I was their 3rd for the night.
Old 04-01-16, 11:18 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yep, that was the spot. I heard there were multiple wrecks at that same spot last night.

I ended up in the Emergency room until 3am after my headache was getting more intense/dizzy and I was bleeding in my sinus cavity (sign of possible brain bleeding). After CT scan, etc., the dr. said it was just concussion/hematomas and some damage in the sinus cavity from the impact. I wasted a night and unknown $'s at the ER, but I figured the head stuff isn't something you want to mess with.

Funniest part was when I walked into the ER at midnight (holding my helmet), the guys asks "are you another one from the bike race"? I was their 3rd for the night.
jeezus.... sorry to hear that... was this the 3/4? have to make note to be careful around that spot next time, because from what I remember, it's that incline right before the turns where people make attacks and try to pull away from the group, because it's pretty much all single file after that.
Old 04-01-16, 12:18 PM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jeezus.... sorry to hear that... was this the 3/4? have to make note to be careful around that spot next time, because from what I remember, it's that incline right before the turns where people make attacks and try to pull away from the group, because it's pretty much all single file after that.
No, 4/5, but I heard there was a wreck in the 3/4 there as well.

That is absolutely the place you need to have position, but our race was already getting strung out at that point and there was a lot of room for not many people. I don't think it was people fighting for position or getting squeezed, I assume it was a clipped wheel the way it happened.
Old 04-01-16, 12:40 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

That's not a waste of money at all. You never know. Heal up.
Old 04-01-16, 12:56 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No, 4/5, but I heard there was a wreck in the 3/4 there as well.

That is absolutely the place you need to have position, but our race was already getting strung out at that point and there was a lot of room for not many people. I don't think it was people fighting for position or getting squeezed, I assume it was a clipped wheel the way it happened.
yea, 4/5 is much more unpredictable. crashes pretty much every other race when I was a 5. I thought the driveway was a little more tame (familiar course, familiar people), but I guess not
Old 04-01-16, 08:04 PM
Doge

I cropped a Strava segment and even though I move the start to the right, it still has the segment starting at 0 mph. The map shows correctly, but does not line up with the speed, HR.
So I just deleted it off Strava and Garmin.
Is there any simple cropping tool besides Strava?
Old 04-01-16, 09:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
I'm glad that you're ok @grwoolf
Old 04-01-16, 11:18 PM
Doge

This is the crop situation that is off.
First and Second have the same timeline, no matter where I start this thing.

And after the start crop the speed is the same.
Attached Images
File Type: png
Fiesta1.PNG (84.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: png
Fiesta2.PNG (83.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-02-16, 06:47 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
Compatible with any saddle? If so, yo quiero.
fizik saddles with ICS
Old 04-06-16, 09:44 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My LBS has the eTap upgrade kit on 'pre-book' for me via QBP, but has no ETA.
Anyone know how that works? Are they guaranteed to get it? Is there a priority system or something? (This is a very very small shop)

SideNote: Anyone know how often SRAM is replenishing stock?
Old 04-06-16, 10:04 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The last time I looked, QBP had an ETA of April 30 for eTap. My guess is that orders will be filled in the order they were received. I don't know of a "priority" system (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist). Another guess is that they won't have enough stock to fill all outstanding orders, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Demain, on roule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.