Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is it rude to bring a bike to Thankgiving dinner then go for a ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is it rude to bring a bike to Thankgiving dinner then go for a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 11:40 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
3. Lions vs Cowboys will probably be a good game.
Hey Dude-The Lions are playing the Packers not the cowboys.
Old 11-22-11, 01:15 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
I always wondered, who was the "genius" in the US who made it a Thursday with the Friday being a work day for most people????
Whoever the genius was, I would like to thank him for the four day weekend.
Old 11-22-11, 01:38 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Only if you don't invite me on the ride

― Bruce Lee
Old 11-22-11, 02:33 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Personally, I couldn't stand sitting around while others are drinking and watching TV. I don't drink, I don't sit very well, and I do not enjoy football on TV, except perhaps the Broncos.

I would simply quietly disappear for a couple of hours, quietly saying to someone who you have comfort with - I'm going for a ride, be back at 3:30 (or whatever). No production, just go. I have done this and no one seems to care one tiny bit.
Old 11-23-11, 01:22 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
They are used to me "marching to my own drummer." My one sister-in-law teases me about being "all ate up" with bicycling. No one will be surprised. In fact, I've done it before. I'm just wondering if it's rude or not. Even if it was it probably wouldn't stop me from doing it. It's in Madison County and they have tons of trails. I wish I could get someone, anyone, to go along with me. Maybe I could suggest that others bring their bikes. We could make it a holiday tradition.
I don't dress up in kit or anything. I just bring my beater mtb and go for a cruise around town.
Madison county is where I live. To bad I am visiting/staying with my parents a little east (over in Marion/Clinton County) over thanksgiving weekend, otherwise I would take you over to SIUE's trails, they are really nice fast single tracks. Also, the Madison county MUP system is really really nice. When The weather is nice I commute from Collinsville to SIUE (16 miles one way) on those trails. Just be warned, if you decided to ride on the MUP, since most of it is in really open flat lands, the wind is completely ridiculous this time of the year. I road to school (for the last time this season) about 2 weeks ago and there was a 20mph headwind. It royally sucked riding with that strong of a head wind.

BTW, I take it this gathering will be in Edwardsville? Here is a link to the SIUE Trails, they are right on the madison county MUP trails, so you have easy access to them this is the link to the madison county MUP trails the little red trail that is right above the orange one is the one in the other link that is called the "Delyte Morris Bikeway" (not to be confused with the MTC Schoolhouse Trail) and on it there are 3 trail heads for the SIUE Trails, one for trail #4, one for trail #2, and one that is a path that connects pretty much all the trails except #3 which is off by itself .

Last edited by dsprehe89; 11-23-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 02:07 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hey dsprehe89 - welcome to the 50+. Thanks for tjhe contribution.
I checked your profile - pretty impressive!!

"Biking, Running, Rock Climbing, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Anything Cars, Motorcycles, Occasional Video Game if I have the time after everything else "
Old 11-23-11, 02:23 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hey dsprehe89 - welcome to the 50+. Thanks for tjhe contribution.
I checked your profile - pretty impressive!!

"Biking, Running, Rock Climbing, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Anything Cars, Motorcycles, Occasional Video Game if I have the time after everything else "
I didn't even realize this thread was in the 50+ . I'm definitely not 50+. This thread was just linked in this thread in the MTB forums (which is also about Thanksgiving day riding), and I've read quite a few of sknhgy's other posts over there. So I decided to share my 2 cents and give him some advice of the area since I'm live where he is going.
Old 11-23-11, 02:35 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Working the crummy hours that I do, including too many weekends and Holidays, I used to absolutely hate sitting in my in-law's house on sunny Easters or Thanksgivings. Sometimes I was almost bored to tears. The sunshine and out doors seemed to be calling to me with a Siren's song for sure.

Since they owned a farm the potential for some sweet off-road riding was great, but I stayed indoors with my bride's parents and siblings.

Her parents are both long gone now. One of her four siblings has died and two others aren't exactly the "picture of health" if you catch my drift.

We aren't able to spend nearly as many family days together now, in fact I'm working this Thanksgiving and my bride will spend the evening home alone as she only drives close to home anymore.

As boring as it was, it seemed important to suffer a day or two here and there to get to know those family members a little better. They're long gone now and I'll never see or hear them again.

I guess I'm glad I gave the family some time.

Of couse I realize that this holds true for me and my family dynamics, not neccesarily anyone elses. Due to the nature of my work schedule the holiday gatherings were about the only chance I had to spend time with family members. It's one of those little sacrifices that goes with the work schedule, little if any extended family life.

By now we all know whether or not we'll hurt any feelings or miss out on important family time by slipping a little ride in. We don't need the advice of each other to help us sort things such as that out. Bearing all that in mind, this is a great thread as it's really fun to read how everyone intends to spend their holiday time. I kinda wish I could get out there and ride with you all tomorrow.

Here's wishing you all a very happy and peaceful Thanksgiving. Those of you who will be fortunate enough to get in a ride, please be careful. I'm looking foreward to those Thanksgiving ride reports!

Last edited by cranky old dude; 11-23-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 05:22 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am lucky in that we dont go to our gathering until about 2 pm. I plan on getting in 36 or 40 miles tomorrow morning.
Old 11-23-11, 07:30 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I find this an interesting thread and have read all the posts Some posters have given some real thought provoking insights. My first reaction was to think it rude to ride during a family Thanksgiving Day celebration--but then I think it rude to watch television or get plastered during a family gathering, as well.

At gatherings with my family or my in-laws, we usually end up all playing board games together after dinner. Boring for some here, but we always laugh, get silly, and enjoy the time we are spending all together. My three 20-something children are always the first to bring out the games as they have happy memories of those times with their extended family.

On further thought, I realized that is what we like to do--but it's not mandatory-- and if one of us wanted to slip away to watch a game or take a bike ride, we might be bit disappointed that he/she wasn't there to join us, but I doubt if anyone would take offense. (I do get thoroughly steamed if someone has the TV on DURING dinner!)

On the other hand, wanderers do run the risk of being absent from those happy memories.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the 50+ members and to the Lawn-treaders, too!
Old 11-23-11, 09:32 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5465 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
Madison county is where I live. To bad I am visiting/staying with my parents a little east (over in Marion/Clinton County) over thanksgiving weekend, otherwise I would take you over to SIUE's trails, they are really nice fast single tracks. Also, the Madison county MUP system is really really nice. When The weather is nice I commute from Collinsville to SIUE (16 miles one way) on those trails. Just be warned, if you decided to ride on the MUP, since most of it is in really open flat lands, the wind is completely ridiculous this time of the year. I road to school (for the last time this season) about 2 weeks ago and there was a 20mph headwind. It royally sucked riding with that strong of a head wind.

BTW, I take it this gathering will be in Edwardsville? Here is a link to the SIUE Trails, they are right on the madison county MUP trails, so you have easy access to them this is the link to the madison county MUP trails the little red trail that is right above the orange one is the one in the other link that is called the "Delyte Morris Bikeway" (not to be confused with the MTC Schoolhouse Trail) and on it there are 3 trail heads for the SIUE Trails, one for trail #4, one for trail #2, and one that is a path that connects pretty much all the trails except #3 which is off by itself .
The gathering is in Collinsville, not far from the big Ketchup bottle. I ride the mtb trails at SIUE regularly. In fact, I was there last weekend.
I thank everyone for their input to this thread. This is going to be an all-day affair. We never sit around in one big group. Usually, the sisters and the older nieces gather up for a hen party in the kitchen. Like I said, a fair amount of drinking goes on and I don't partake. All those women probably don't want a sober man in their midst. The guys plunk down in front of the TV and watch football. Smokers go outside and hang out. Someone will go for a beer run. I don't see any problem with me quietly slipping off for a 60-90 minute ride. I doubt if they'll even know I'm gone.
The bike is coming along. If there is a lot going on I'll hang around. If things get dull and boring I'll slip out for a ride. I'll just play it by ear.

I made up a map to get me to SIUE.

Last edited by sknhgy; 11-23-11 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 07:25 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
I'll be out for a 43 mile ride before I meet up with family members for our Thanksgiving Day meal. I have a set route I do every year, and family member know that this is what I do.
Old 11-25-11, 04:18 AM
GeezerPete

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Trek 930, Fugi Sagres c.1980

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, sknhgy, how'd it work out?
Old 11-25-11, 01:59 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
This year my sister-in-law is hosting Thanksgiving. It is an all-day event. It will be attended by my wife's siblings, their spouses, and their/our kids. Our generation is the oldest in attendance. Many of us only see each other once or twice a year.
A lot of just sitting around happens. A lot of drinking happens. The women hang out in the kitchen and drink and talk. Us guys find a place in front of the tube where we kill time. I don't drink. It's boring at times.
Think it's rude to bring a bike and slip off for a ride?
No it is not rude. You are doing your thing!!!

I go to church on my motorcycle in full race gear. I don't care who looks, who don't like it or whatever. When I finish giving my praise to the Lord, I go riding.

Do your thing man!!
Old 11-25-11, 02:13 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I have gone for rides on Thanksgiving morning in the past, unless my wife needed my help with dinner prep. This year, living in Taos with no relatives near by, my wife volunteered to work so other department members could have the day off. And me? I went to opening day at Taos Ski Valley. We're having friends over on Sunday, and I'll cook a bird on our Big Green Egg.
Old 11-26-11, 09:08 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by GeezerPete
So, sknhgy, how'd it work out?
It went great. I put the bike on the car and when my wife came out and saw it she didn't batt an eye. We had dinner then the women went into the kitchen to drink wine, nephew crashed out on the couch, brother-in-law popped beers in front of the tube, and I slipped out for a ride.
The day before I had printed out directions on how to get from the house to the bike trails. I scooted through traffic till I got to the trails where it was nice and quiet. I got in about 20 miles and made it back to the house around dusk. Still had plenty of time to sit around and visit.
This may become a tradition.
Old 11-26-11, 03:40 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Dirt bomb? We used to have dirt bomb wars this time of year.
Old 11-26-11, 05:43 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Original question: "Is it rude to bring a bike to Thankgiving dinner then go for a ride?"

Answer: It depends on how much the bike eats.
Old 11-26-11, 06:12 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by curbtender
Dirt bomb? We used to have dirt bomb wars this time of year.
I wondered if anyone knew what a dirtbomb is.
Old 11-26-11, 06:48 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
How did the Lions-Cowboys game go?

Old 11-27-11, 03:49 PM
Chilidawg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish that would have been an option here. You folks never met my in-laws. D*mned near impossible to get 'em to leave.
Old 11-29-11, 08:39 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I ride to Thanksgiging dinner and ride home; it's only 25miles round trip, no big deal.